Brad Moran

Remove this Banner Ad

These guys aren't your usual 200cm players. Great pace/agility. Making height a non-factor if you're looking at negatives.

Yeah, that's the point. You couldn't take a guy like Griffin or Mark Blake and do the KPP development thing. Just wouldn't work. But Tippett and possibly Moran could work.

roos will miss him
I seriously doubt it. Even if he did come good, which I'm still VERY skeptical about, he'd stll be behind McIntosh, and as a KPP will never have the smarts of other up and comers like Hansen. A lot of North supporters overrated him because of some odd obsession. They did the same with Joel Perry who is finding it hard makin' it in the SANFL. Is at the right club. Even if it's only to put the wind up Maric, who in the least should've been making inroads by now.

I seriously doubt it. Even if he did come good, which I'm still VERY skeptical about, he'd stll be behind McIntosh, and as a KPP will never have the smarts of other up and comers like Hansen. A lot of North supporters overrated him because of some odd obsession. They did the same with Joel Perry who is finding it hard makin' it in the SANFL. Is at the right club. Even if it's only to put the wind up Maric, who in the least should've been making inroads by now.

Thanks for the positive words. :rolleyes:

Ofcorse he doesn't have the smarts of a KPP like Hansen - Moran is still learning the game after coming from a strong Soccer background having migrated from England, while Hansen had been kicking the footy around since he was knee-high to a grasshopper and was taken top 3 in the best draft for KPP's we have yet seen!

Kangaroos recruiters made it clear at the time of drafting Moran that it was purely his raw potential and athletecism as a Ruck/Key Position prospect that led to his selection - Probably the reason why he was used in so many different roles for Port Melbourne as a development player.

As for Maric, if you had bothered to take any notice of the goings on at our club this year you would have already been aware of the fact that he broke his hip early in the year which kept him out of action for 8 weeks - ultimately costing him his pre-season and any chance of solidifying his mantle as the no.2 Ruckman. This role would have almost certainly been his if not for the restrictive injury and I am more than confident that after a full preason, with the benefit of a greater fitness base and solid weights routine, he will deservedly hold this position next year.

It is also important to note that Maric too, has come from an alternate sporting background - Basketball was his trade before making the shift to football, it is his big leap and excellent attitude that made the Crows take notice - not unlike Moran. So there seems to be a difinitive pattern occuring with regards to our list management and development of Ruckmen/Key Position prospects, even more so highlighted by our early selection in last year's Draft of the former basketballer now turned footballer Kurt Tippett.

Whether any of these make it as consistent/serviceable AFL players is yet to be seen but all 3 have shown very positive signs and more importantly, outstanding attitudes

I look forward to watching all 3 make their own mark on a game that is still very much new to them - that alone is what makes their development even more exciting than regular young footballers coming through the ranks :thumbsu: :)

Ofcorse he doesn't have the smarts of a KPP like Hansen - Moran is still learning the game after coming from a strong Soccer background having migrated from England, while Hansen had been kicking the footy around since he was knee-high to a grasshopper and was taken top 3 in the best draft for KPP's we have yet seen!

I have been reading quite alot about Brad and there is one misconception that needs to be cleared up. he comes from a Rugby background and not a soccor one. Minor point I know but there you go.

Quote from Gold Coast Bulletin - Aug 26, 2006
Moran's move from rugby union to AFL

The Gold Coast Bulletin (Australia), SPORT; Pg. 189
August 26, 2006
Terry Wilson
259 words

BRAD Moran will today complete the unlikely transformation from a junior rugby union player from Solihull in the west Midlands of England to a senior player making his AFL debut in Launceston. '

Cheers

I have been reading quite alot about Brad and there is one misconception that needs to be cleared up. he comes from a Rugby background and not a soccor one. Minor point I know but there you go.

Quote from Gold Coast Bulletin - Aug 26, 2006
Moran's move from rugby union to AFL

The Gold Coast Bulletin (Australia), SPORT; Pg. 189
August 26, 2006
Terry Wilson
259 words

BRAD Moran will today complete the unlikely transformation from a junior rugby union player from Solihull in the west Midlands of England to a senior player making his AFL debut in Launceston. '

Cheers

Thanks for correcting me mate :thumbsu:

I guess I always thought it was soccer as his Dad was a prominent soccer player back in the UK. Nonetheless, cheers for the info :)

I use firefox and it worked fine for me
:(.

Anyway, heres an article from earlier this year. Unfortunately the link is dead, so theres no point linking anyone to it, but it's from The Age.

BRAD Moran wants to be good. In his Arden Street locker, the English-born 20-year-old keeps a diary filled with notes from every training session he does. He asks his coaches for their thoughts, adds them in, and knows the book will be there should he ever start wondering why things aren't going well.

"I did it mainly because, if I'm going to have a bad patch, I can always look back and say 'what was I doing in that good patch there that's so different to now?' " Moran said.

"A lot of guys keep diaries, but they mostly use it to write down what they've got on that day. I like to write down my thoughts on the day, and the things I'm not going to remember.

"You always know you're going to have skills at 2pm on a Friday, but you're not going to remember that you lost confidence that day because you missed a couple of targets. It's the fine print that's important. I want to stay on top of that."

Nor does he like to dwell on the good times. Moran got the ball 21 times in his debut game for the Kangaroos, in round 21 last year. He grabbed 10 marks, had 10 hitouts, and won a Rising Star nomination. It was less than five years after migrating from England to the Gold Coast, and less than four years after kicking a football for the first time.

But Moran hasn't let himself watch the game again. Even his mother spent that day with her head in her hands, too nervous to watch. She's better now: a clip of Brad produced for his Rising Star nomination gets a run on her iPod at least three times each day.

"I'll watch it eventually, but I suppose that straight after, I didn't want to milk it and keep watching it and rely on it. It was probably a bit silly of me not to try and take some confidence from it, but it actually made me more nervous about this year," Moran said.

"A lot of people would think, 'I played in the last two games, I should be right to play every game this year'. There's all sorts of pressure coming from everywhere, and even if you're playing well you're thinking, 'what now, do I have to become, like, this good?'

"There's all sorts of thoughts going through your mind, and that's probably the reason I haven't watched it yet. I basically just want to keep getting better."

He can also remember, vividly, the long days leading to that impressive arrival. When Moran moved to Melbourne, he knew no one, and decided to live on his own. It wasn't a wise choice. "I'd just go home and think," he said. "I'd end up thinking about how much I was thinking."

His older brother, Matt, has since moved down with his girlfriend, as have a couple of friends, which has prompted a small support network, and reminded Moran what it's like to have people around who can read you.

"Matt can pick things up about me just by my body language when I walk through the door," he said. "It's annoying, when someone knows so much about you and you can't hide it, but it's good to have someone who knows you.

"My brother's probably the one who's taught me more about North Melbourne than anyone. He's watched footy for less time than I have, but he picks up so much.

"He did a lot of research on North, and where they've come from. He could probably name the team of the century and the team of the 70s and 80s. He has a mind for that stuff."

Moran understands more about his club too, now, but did not get to wear blue and white stripes nearly as quickly as he had hoped: naively, he arrived thinking he would probably play a game or two in his first season. Instead, he started at Port Melbourne, in the VFL reserves, and learnt to plot and assess his progress with (a little) less ambition.

He did the same last year. Playing for Tasmania, a run of good games turned into a run of ordinary ones, and a lot of bench time. Moran slipped in the first mouthguard he had ever worn and decided that if he wasn't going to play well in a match against Werribee, he would still make sure he was seen.

"I took the mouthguard out at quarter-time because it was cutting my mouth to pieces. But I knew I was in for a physical game," he said. "I thought 'look, if I'm not going to play well, I'm going to go out there and hurt some people and just win the ruck and have a dominant presence on the ground'.

"That's how I was thinking, but things started go my way. I remember I just ran back into a pack early, and took a mark, and got smashed from behind.

"I got up and the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck. I thought, 'that felt pretty good'. From then on I probably took four marks in the next 10 minutes and that set me up. From there I just felt everything start to come together again."

That's not to say things must keep happening at once, from here. "People have always said you need to get some early touches in a game to get going and be all right," Moran said. " In my debut game I touched the ball twice in the first quarter and had 21 for the day, so it's not all downhill if you don't get started straight away."
We should just train him as a 200cm gazelle running hitman.

He talked alot about playing at CHB.

Surely he should be developed as a ruckman? Obviously we're light-on in this area and one thing we're not light on for is KP backs.

Surely he should be developed as a ruckman? Obviously we're light-on in this area and one thing we're not light on for is KP backs.

Except when we play WCE - seems to be the perfect fit for Seaby/Cox forward troubles we have had for the last 3 years.

That interview was gold - sounds "confident", about time we got someone like that - Only blokes like Macca can be humble :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake, we only traded him because we already have the ruck depth and he wanted to play senior footy (which he would struggle to get at North, barring injuries).

He should be a good player, and will come back to bite us at some stage. Apparently a bit pig-heaed, and of course a late developer not having picked up a footy until fairly late in life. Don't be surprised if he plays a dozen or more games for you guys in 2008.

He was very impressive in that interview. Sounds like he knows that Adelaide has great confidence in him and wants him here. I think he will be raring to go and sounds like he wants to kick some arse!!!!

People forget that we will probably lose Bassett at the end of 2008, turning 31 as he does in December this year. I don't know about you, but I want more (and better) KPP defender options than just Stevens to back things up!

People forget that we will probably lose Bassett at the end of 2008, turning 31 as he does in December this year. I don't know about you, but I want more (and better) KPP defender options than just Stevens to back things up!

Fair enough. If he's able to play there, it gives us great versatility, but I still think his best position would be in the ruck.

Fair enough. If he's able to play there, it gives us great versatility, but I still think his best position would be in the ruck.
I think the good thing is, we have the ruck depth, without having to commit to 4 or 5 ruckmen (hence getting in a position where a J Griffin/I Maric/J Meesen may take 3 or 4 years to get their debut through injury).

If something happens, then Moran/Tippett can slip into ruck, and then reshuffle our defence/forward line.

Sounds like a focussed, intense, confident, ambitious bloke who may help reinvigorate the squad with his competitiveness and desire to improve. Still yet to be proven whether that all adds up to a footballer good enough but certainly he sounds like he will put his best foot forward for the club (unlike a couple of blokes who have recently left).

Interesting that he eyeing off CHB. I would have thought Bock had that covered pretty well? Certainly I'd prefer Bock at CHB rather than forward, unless his forward limitations can be blamed on injury last year affecting his mobility.

Either way, Moran does sound like he offers the package of speed+height, something we certainly lack in every tall position except maybe Gill. Who knows, he may even displace Massie as our number 1 defender;). With Moran in the side, it allows us the flexibility to cover a down day in the ruck (will happen a few times this year) by having a 3rd option in the 22. Same could apply if Tippett plays forward i guess.

Also great to hear Cox was one of the guys he'd like to model his ruckwork on. If he could even go close to negating/ breaking even with Cox when we play them, he will be doing better than anyone else we have.

He could go either way but seems like an astute risk at this stage.

I reckon Westies will take him in the mini draft. They could use a ruckman and a big defender. That would hopefully mean they play Tippett in the forward line where he belongs.

yeah been hearing alot about him being ear-marked at CHB....

Bocky surely has to be our CHB....surely CRAIGY knows that...

Bock has starred for us at CHB every time he's played there; surely he owns that position.

Develop Moran in the Hunter mould; forward or back depending on game status.

I rate this guy already.

Pick 37 could be a big steal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Moran

Remove this Banner Ad

Back