Toast Brad Sheppard

Remove this Banner Ad

He has all the tricks, he just looks completely incapable of putting it together. Needs a massive pre-season coming up.

doesnt play on instincts.
ive noticed this year shep thinking consciously to 'take the game on'
at times he's been good when things have worked for him.
he's even been very aggressive at times in a contest.

you can see he is trying to work on his flaws and listening to the coaches,
but none of the above seem to be done instinctively like a darling, fyfe etc,
he just seems too calculated and has no killer instinct

Does he though?

Aggression, Penetrating forward-50 kicking, pace, decision making, courage have all been shown this year but only in 5 minute bursts and without any real consistency. He sort of displays a moment here or there, or even a quarter, that makes you think he might be worth persevering with, but struggles to deliver. I think @joeyavalanche's post above sums it up though.

He really struggled to get ball today though. He doesn't know where to get it at the moment, which is the most troubling thing.

Aggression, Penetrating forward-50 kicking, pace, decision making, courage have all been shown this year but only in 5 minute bursts and without any real consistency. He sort of displays a moment here or there, or even a quarter, that makes you think he might be worth persevering with, but struggles to deliver. I think @joeyavalanche's post above sums it up though.

He really struggled to get ball today though. He doesn't know where to get it at the moment, which is the most troubling thing.

If one day it all clicks it'll make us a much better side.

When's his contract run out?

Just doesn't seem like a footballer. Doesn't seem to have the nous.

He's like a small Brent Staker at the moment.

i would like to wait until we get a new midfield coach before getting rid of too many of these guys though...

With Masten I always got the feeling he'd eventually live up to his high billing, and he has. I really don't get the same sort of impression with Brad.

I'm very much in the same boat. I've been pumping Shep's tyres a bit around here, more in the hope he'd turn out to to be 'good enough', rather than the actual quality expected of such a high pick.

Alas, the further his career progresses, the more he chips away at my faith :(

People have compared Sheppard with Masten. When Masten was developing, he could always find the ball. Sheppard is not a natural ball winner. Midfielders need to be able to find the ball and I don't think Sheppard can. That doesn't mean he is rubbish. He can still make it as a player, but not as a midfielder.

To me, this means Sheppard should play as a defender. He started here and his first season was good. He has to improve defensively, but his pace and skills from the backline would be important because this is something we lack. Play him as a back pocket and see how he goes.

I don't know if one day it will click for him, but I sure hope it does. He'll add another element of unpredictability to our midfield which it needs.

Whether a midfield of Wellingham, Shuey, Masten, Gaff, Scooter, Sheppard and co is good enough to win a flag is another story.

Loved his game against Hawthorn earlier in the year, and bits and pieces of other games but he's been very patchy this year.

Still hoping he'll eventually figure it out and be at worst a handy player in our 22 for the next 7-8 years. Could just be blind faith though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasnt been too good either. Especially when you think we could have had Jetta.

I wish people would stop this. We 'could have' had a whole host of players in a number of different drafts. Unfortunately drafting doesn't have the opportunity to use hindsight. We need to stop the 'what ifs' and focus on what we actually have.

It took Masten until late in 2011 to finally put some good games together, that game against Brisbane late in 2011 where he was Best on Ground was a catalyst for him. That was Masten's fourth year on our list and now he's in his sixth and flying. This is Brad Sheppard's fourth year on our list and still hasn't done **** all. He's got one more season I reckon before he's delisted, needs a massive pre-season to bulk up or something along those lines.

I wish people would stop this. We 'could have' had a whole host of players in a number of different drafts. Unfortunately drafting doesn't have the opportunity to use hindsight. We need to stop the 'what ifs' and focus on what we actually have.

Fair point.

Although as someone else said, it would be good to know what the change of mind was from Jetta to Shephard.

Suffers from not having a clear role.
Certainly needs to get involved more though.

Conversely, Sheppard's poor form could be that he's being limited, due to strict adherence, to the role the coaches have set out for him. Perhaps Sheppard needs to take to the field and do it his way, for the time being, without the limiting direction of the coaches for a few games. Then some evaluation can be had by the coaches, where they can incrementally incorporate the good facets of his game with a more structured style of play that the coach is attempting to implement.
Sheppard's confidence could receive a shot in the arm if he had good games when he's free to just go out there and play, without concern for role and structure. These things may well be doing his head in, and thus he may well be caught between role and instinctual play.

It took Masten until late in 2011 to finally put some good games together, that game against Brisbane late in 2011 where he was Best on Ground was a catalyst for him. That was Masten's fourth year on our list and now he's in his sixth and flying. This is Brad Sheppard's fourth year on our list and still hasn't done **** all. He's got one more season I reckon before he's delisted, needs a massive pre-season to bulk up or something along those lines.

No. no.

Masten had some excellent games even in his first year. Majority of the supporters just have the memory of a goldfish

No. no.

Masten had some excellent games even in his first year. Majority of the supporters just have the memory of a goldfish

Yep, remember him picking up 39 against Port in 2010 I think it was.

Totally agree with the earlier point about Sheppard and the different roles he gets. It seems every week we try give him a new role. He's not a lock down back, so it shits me when they leave him one out in defensive 50.

We don't need rebounding defenders, we have Hurn, waters, and schofield. So no point in playing him in that role either.

Inside/outside mid please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Brad Sheppard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back