List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite a fair post

It could easily be argued RHJ, Teakle and Dawson ended up best 22 because of how unbalanced the list is. None of them project to be quality long term players.

The argument for Brady is he's done some things well in the list management space. The argument against him is doing some things well doesn't get you anywhere near a contending list. Our talent ID and creativity from a list management point of view has been average for years, and it hasn't really gotten all that much better in the five years he has been overseeing that space.

But yay, Paul Curtis and nailing a couple of top three picks. All is forgiven.

The argument for Brady is he's done some things well in the list management space. The argument against him is doing some things well doesn't get you anywhere near a contending list. Our talent ID and creativity from a list management point of view has been average for years, and it hasn't really gotten all that much better in the five years he has been overseeing that space.

Yeah, Paul Curtis at #35 was a masterstroke.

Nailing a second rounder is unheard of.

Last edited:

C'mon guys, your being a tad hard on Brady for this draft, forget the rookie picks as they are a gamble, the four national draft picks Tarryn was a early first rounder {academy pick} gun, Curtis Taylor I thought played okay in the first 2 years at the club before injuries and his form & body shape stalling, and Bailey Scott pretty good for a 3rd rounder as a father/son with another father/son Joel Crocker finishing the draft at pick 69.
Tt isnt a knock on that draft but still cost us and cost us with interest when you consider we traded out picks to get polec.

It could easily be argued RHJ, Teakle and Dawson ended up best 22 because of how unbalanced the list is. None of them project to be quality long term players.

Valid point too, but you have to consider the cascade of shit that's rained down on the club. All those cogs misfiring, all that team fabric tearing. Considering that, his time in the draft doesn't get anything but a resounding pass. Drury was a head-scratcher for me when we recruited him, as was Lazzaro. Ham was a nothing pick. But two of those three were extremely low-stakes selections. The vast majority of other selections were pretty pretty good based on what we knew at the time. I've argued for Watson over Duursma after seeing what Watson can do but it would've taken enormous cohunes.

I think the main two criticisms should be the contract length and salaries of some recycled recruits, and the lack of small forwards. CCJ is the only blatant trade fail so far. We like to diss Fisher and Stephens, and I agree that both deals should've been a year shorter, but Fisher has skills, if limited in some areas of his play, and Stephens has a non-footballer's brain in a footballer's body that may be able to be made serviceable with some significant tweaks. There's probably also the element that we have to overpay these sorts of players as a shit, small Melbourne club.

The grass at Arden St sees less sweat and tears than every other training ground in the league. There's a coach distracted by a racism saga, surrounded by assistant coaches who seem to have not improved the players under their tutelage much at all, Monky aside. There's a lack of support beams in the playing group. There's collective trauma from relatively recent events which players have been unable to break free of.

Rawlings, for what he does, is quite a way down the list of club failings. Far bigger improvements would be made by an uptick in training standards, or a ceasing of the racism saga, or a sudden collective psychological breakthrough amongst the players, than an uptick in his quality of work.

Valid point too, but you have to consider the cascade of shit that's rained down on the club. All those cogs misfiring, all that team fabric tearing. Considering that, his time in the draft doesn't get anything but a resounding pass. Drury was a head-scratcher for me when we recruited him, as was Lazzaro. Ham was a nothing pick. But two of those three were extremely low-stakes selections. The vast majority of other selections were pretty pretty good based on what we knew at the time. I've argued for Watson over Duursma after seeing what Watson can do but it would've taken enormous cohunes.

I think the main two criticisms should be the contract length and salaries of some recycled recruits, and the lack of small forwards. CCJ is the only blatant trade fail so far. We like to diss Fisher and Stephens, and I agree that both deals should've been a year shorter, but Fisher has skills, if limited in some areas of his play, and Stephens has a non-footballer's brain in a footballer's body that may be able to be made serviceable with some significant tweaks. There's probably also the element that we have to overpay these sorts of players as a shit, small Melbourne club.

The grass at Arden St sees less sweat and tears than every other training ground in the league. There's a coach distracted by a racism saga, surrounded by assistant coaches who seem to have not improved the players under their tutelage much at all, Monky aside. There's a lack of support beams in the playing group. There's collective trauma from relatively recent events which players have been unable to break free of.

Rawlings, for what he does, is quite a way down the list of club failings. Far bigger improvements would be made by an uptick in training standards, or a ceasing of the racism saga, or a sudden collective psychological breakthrough amongst the players, than an uptick in his quality of work.
Agree with a lot of the summary other than 2 points, biggy was a crap trade as well and i dont think the racism stuff is as much as an issue. But agree there has been a chorus of poor management not just recruitment.

For example How Gavin brown drew a wage for 10 years is anyones guess. And luffy dont even need a mention.

Agree with a lot of the summary other than 2 points, biggy was a crap trade as well and i dont think the racism stuff is as much as an issue. But agree there has been a chorus of poor management not just recruitment.

For example How Gavin brown drew a wage for 10 years is anyones guess. And luffy dont even need a mention.
Yeah, forgot Biggy. That was a crap one. All athlete, no footballer. Fair enough.

As for the racism stuff, it's that Clarko looks tired. Has done since it began. And Sphynx's posts have been swirling around my head for a bit too. I don't like the thought that he's made promises of silverware without seeming to cultivate the necessary environment.

Bang on with your other two. Cam Joyce deserves a slap in the face too

Sure .. let's do that.

2020: Phillips, Powell, Spicer, Lazzaro and Ford all played senior footy. Three still on the list. Phillips has had his issues, but there's no reason he, Powell and Ford aren't all best 22 next year. Laz is only ever going to be depth, but he certainly works his hole off. Given the circumstances of that draft, its hardly a bust.

2021: Horse-Francis consensus 1 pick, him going home amid end of season turmoil hardly Brady's fault - he then engineered a great deal for him. Goater a good pick at 22, his injury this year was devastating, but he was picked Round 1 and can play. Curtis in the mid 30 a brilliant pick, kid is a jet. Miller has been unlucky with injury but is senior standard, not like we reached for him. And Jackson Archer is a best 10 player who just finished top 10 in the B=F, albeit he's in that speculative f/s spot we always go for, so not sure Brady gets credit there.

2022: Sheezel picked himself, but going for George despite the injury clouded final year a good move that'd paid off - his soft tissues haven't come back. Kallan Dawson has played some good senior footy. Brayden George has been cruelled by injury, Cooper I don't rate but has played senior footy and is that mandatory late f/s speculative pick.

So, going down to it, the real big knocks on Brady's drafting are he's had a bunch of MSD/rookie picks not work out. Big shit, that's what happens in those picks.

And it is worth noting he's also had some MSD picks that look quite good in RHJ and Teakle.

The whole blame Brady campaign simply doesn't stack up.

Its run by emotionally stunted verging on personality disorder having middle aged men who can only view the world through a zero sum lens of blame.

We've been shit, it must be someone's fault, we need an escape goat, burn the big nosed witch.

If you want to do that, blame TT for being an immature little ****stick, or Jason for the same, or David Noble for being a shit coach, or Brad Scott for the way he left our list, shit blame the recruiters who left Brady crap like 2018.

Blaming the bloke who is has put out the fire and is now rebuilding our house for starting it in the first place is just shit.
There was plenty of speculation about TTs character pre draft, we had him in our zone. We ****ed that up, there's no way we did our due diligence there, he didn't become a scumbag overnight. If you don't think the big clubs aren't putting in the time and resources vetting these kids you're kidding yourself. I've got little doubt we would've got more out of JHF if we weren't a basket case on and off field, don't even really blame him for leaving. Phillips over McDonald or Hollands an absolute killer, this is not one person's fault it's the whole department. Hopefully Todd and Clarko can fix it.

Amazing we’ve won 15 games in 5 seasons with all the guns Brady has brought in via draft and trading
Amazing indeed. What a stirling job Rawling has done overseeing the club finish bottom 2 in the last 5 years.. Nobody else could’ve steadied the ship like Rawling has done. :stern look

With Taylor delisted only 8 players remain since the 2020 list cull of 4 years ago. In that time 14 players who were recruited after the 2020 cull are now gone from the club. Players from other clubs recruited who are now gone include Atu, Young, Greenwood, Shiels, Howe, Tom Lynch and Biggie. Menadue had a 12 month gap from playing for Richmond to playing for North if I recall correctly. The others are Edward, Ham, Spicer, Sellers, Free and of course JHF. Clearly if Laz, Harvey and Drury get shown the door this list will increase. So those 14 players have come in and out of our club on top of only having 8 left from the end of 2020. All this in a 4 year period. But Rawling knows what he is doing. And this can be seen by us finishing bottom 2 for the last 4 years since the list cull. The truth is staring you all in the face. :stern look

Last season we delisted 3 small forwards. Spicer, Crafty and Turner. Sure all three had to go but one would think that we would recruit a couple of small forwards to replace them. But Mr List Manager Extraordinaire thought otherwise. We did not recruit one small forward after delisting 3 small forwards last year. Staggering. But that ain’t Rawling’s fault. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back