Autopsy v the rubber head bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Share a lot of hcd199 thoughts who always sums it up so well.

10 rounds ago, a year ago, I'd put these types of llosses down to a poor list and historic poor standards.

The last 2 weeks have not felt like that. We have a mental maybe cultural issue around winning.

We have the personnel to now get on top of opponents in games. We win contests, dash and link up and you get lulled in sometimes in the first 5 minutes.. "maybe today?"

Then it happens.

The fantastic chain of play that ends in a limp snap that barely goes 25 metres and finishes in the arms of a waiting standing defender.

The flow of 2-3 goals and all the momentum abruptly ended with the totally unnecessary own goal to give opposition their jump-start.

The big lead that everybody in the universe including every other AFL club knows is going to evaporate, it's just a matter of when, not if.

I'm convinced this group collectively don't see themselves as genuinely capable of beating high rated opponents or putting the foot on the throat of the weaker ones.

Just about every successful dynasty looks to start when players - not coaches - make a stand to make something of their team.

I think that time is coming. The way the season is tracking, the honourable losses will mean less and less to the players belief if we continually punctuate them with random shitshows.

We need some players to ask their team mates if they're fair dinkum and commit to concentrating for 4 quarters and stop talking big but deep down believing they're just happy competing with better teams for a quarter or 2 here and there.
Poor leadership.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

No mate, I watch every game I can on tv and the highlight of my trip to Melbourne was:
1. Seeing the Gold Coast win
2. Going to Arden street

We’re just shit. I don’t watch an entire game and waste an afternoon just hoping to come on here. I watch genuinely hoping things improve.

I just happen to hold the view that the reasons we’re not improving are completely unacceptable - whereas most on here seem conditioned to never expect anything good. Sucks. The North Melbourne I started supporting were a ruthless mob, a completely different club tbh.
I hate losing and I know it's been a slog supporting us the last 5 years because we watch the same team. The fact of the matter is we started the year playing no good quarters a game, but in my view the needle has (ever so slightly) started moving the other way. I guarantee you this same things that drive you nuts drive me berserk. Dinky snaps into Geelong's lap on the goal line. Inexplicable brain fades resulting in goals. Woeful passing inside 50. Blah blah blah. But I am seeing WAY more positives than I was earlier in the year. I left the Hawthorn game at Marvel so flat I couldn't even feel mad, I just felt nothing. Maybe I'm naive or deluded or whatever you think but I just don't buy that we aren't improving.

Turn it up Greezy. North after Round 2 in 2023 were 2 wins - 0 losses with a percentage of 103.9. Gee we have really fallen of the perch since then. Stop using such a small sample size to justify your moronic argument. :stern look
My argument is that we've played better since the bye. So the sample size is the games since the bye.

There's nothing moronic about my argument.

Share a lot of hcd199 thoughts who always sums it up so well.

10 rounds ago, a year ago, I'd put these types of llosses down to a poor list and historic poor standards.

The last 2 weeks have not felt like that. We have a mental maybe cultural issue around winning.

We have the personnel to now get on top of opponents in games. We win contests, dash and link up and you get lulled in sometimes in the first 5 minutes.. "maybe today?"

Then it happens.

The fantastic chain of play that ends in a limp snap that barely goes 25 metres and finishes in the arms of a waiting standing defender.

The flow of 2-3 goals and all the momentum abruptly ended with the totally unnecessary own goal to give opposition their jump-start.

The big lead that everybody in the universe including every other AFL club knows is going to evaporate, it's just a matter of when, not if.

I'm convinced this group collectively don't see themselves as genuinely capable of beating high rated opponents or putting the foot on the throat of the weaker ones.

Just about every successful dynasty looks to start when players - not coaches - make a stand to make something of their team.

I think that time is coming. The way the season is tracking, the honourable losses will mean less and less to the players belief if we continually punctuate them with random shitshows.

We need some players to ask their team mates if they're fair dinkum and commit to concentrating for 4 quarters and stop talking big but deep down believing they're just happy competing with better teams for a quarter or 2 here and there.
Agree. Every team knows that a period of genuine pressure will see us fold and concede the game. We cant expect Sheezel to be the answer every time. The players around him need to demand more of each other.
At the moment near enough seems good enough

Turn it up Greezy. North after Round 2 in 2023 were 2 wins - 0 losses with a percentage of 103.9. Gee we have really fallen of the perch since then. Stop using such a small sample size to justify your moronic argument. :stern look
It's all sounding a bit like the English cricket team and moral victories.

My argument is that we've played better since the bye. So the sample size is the games since the bye.

There's nothing moronic about my argument.
So it’s no longer “Much Better”. Just “Better”. Get your story straight. Sure there has been marginal improvement. In particular with our effort and tackling. That’s it. :stern look

So it’s no longer “Much Better”. Just “Better”. Get your story straight. Sure there has been marginal improvement. In particular with our effort and tackling. That’s it. :stern look
Jesus you're a troll. We've been much better. Happy? I used the same words. Yay!

Yes. We are witnessing a team who has won 2 games for the season when we won 3 the year previous and a select group of imbecilic twits on this forum want to wank on how we have improved. Let’s beat some decent opposition on a reasonably consistent basis before proclaiming, “we have improved”. Talk about setting the bar so low and being easily pleased with ordinary outings. :stern look

Fans recognising that we've been better since the bye is very different to the players being satisfied with moral victories.

You don't go from playing like the worst side to a top 4 side in a week.

We've gone from playing like a 0 win side, earlier in the year, to playing like a 6-8 win side. That's an improvement and it's something to get some joy from, as a fan.

We've obviously still got some things to tidy up to be a 12 win side, then a 15 win side, and so on.

I honestly don’t get such overwhelming negativity that’s here today. If people can’t that we are on the right track than I guess they don’t trust Clarko. I do. I don’t even compare this to the occasional good performances under Noble or Ratten. I firmly believe we will be pushing for finals next year or win at least 10 games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes. We are witnessing a team who has won 2 games for the season when we won 3 the year previous and a select group of imbecilic twits on this forum want to wank on how we have improved. Let’s beat some decent opposition on a reasonably consistent basis before proclaiming, “we have improved”. Talk about setting the bar so low and being easily pleased with ordinary outings. :stern look
Watch the insults, mate. I've been civil.

Fans recognising that we've been better since the bye is very different to the players being satisfied with moral victories.

You don't go from playing like the worst side to a top 4 side in a week.

We've gone from playing like a 0 win side, earlier in the year, to playing like a 6-8 win side. That's an improvement and it's something to get some joy from, as a fan.

We've obviously still got some things to tidy up to be a 12 win side, then a 15 win side, and so on.
We have won 2 games for year Mr Much Improved. 2! Count them on your testicles. 2! :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you.

I honestly don’t get such overwhelming negativity that’s here today. If people can’t that we are on the right track than I guess they don’t trust Clarko. I do. I don’t even compare this to the occasional good performances under Noble or Ratten. I firmly believe we will be pushing for finals next year or win at least 10 games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There would have to be a seismic shift in culture and an injection of real talent to win 10 games imo...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crikey I must be suffering from chronic optimism. Maybe it's fatal.

I feel good about where we're at, frustrated that some parts of our game haven't improved as much as other parts, but jeez green shoots galore from my perspective.

We've just played 1st, 2nd and 3rd. We are still a long way off and it shows. But it no longer feels insurmountable. I am looking forward to next week, and next year.

When is the last time any other team lost to us and could console themselves with the fact that “it was the Roos, you know what they’re like”.

Its not in wins, but if you go look at opposition boards they have more praise for us than here. It's all about there being no shame in it being competitive because North are a decent side, playing good, hard footy.

I hate losing and I know it's been a slog supporting us the last 5 years because we watch the same team. The fact of the matter is we started the year playing no good quarters a game, but in my view the needle has (ever so slightly) started moving the other way. I guarantee you this same things that drive you nuts drive me berserk. Dinky snaps into Geelong's lap on the goal line. Inexplicable brain fades resulting in goals. Woeful passing inside 50. Blah blah blah. But I am seeing WAY more positives than I was earlier in the year. I left the Hawthorn game at Marvel so flat I couldn't even feel mad, I just felt nothing. Maybe I'm naive or deluded or whatever you think but I just don't buy that we aren't improving.

Since Rd 1

Xerri
Chom
Archer
Sheez
McK
George
LDU

Have all had solid years

The one that I can’t get over is Archer

I thought he was a dud when he debuted

But he is rapidly becoming my fave player in that Backline

Personally I don’t think we have improved dramatically since then bye. Harry LDU and X have been superb around the ball making us more competitive for periods. We still concede 15-16 goals every week. We still butcher chain after chain of easy forward entries. At the same time if people want to be optimistic at the current form it seems silly to argue with one another. Hopefully we are more competitive with the tigers and eagles in the coming weeks.

We made Carlton desperately try to keep McKay and TDK on the ground because we were all over them.

Geelong had to bring Stewart as an extra number to stoppages and contests because we were killing them.

We're building but we don't know how to overcome teams that completely throw all their big bodies into the mix.

Our kicking inside 50 is the worst in the comp. That's your game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy v the rubber head bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back