List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not doing this right if you aren't able to see the truth staring you in the face - Brady is responsible for everything. Even pre Brady things.
When he arrived he commented that he couldn't believe how bad the list was.
Aside from a couple of prized early selections, it's probably actually worse now.
There were clearly mistakes made before his arrival, big ones, but we've added to them with more since..
And hence we are anchored to bottom..

What would our side look like if we sacked all recruitment staff and just picked based on Cal Twomey's phantom draft? Would certainly take the pressure off the soft cap. Anyone bored enough at work to go back and do the analysis?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
First of all, remember that Cal Twomey's phantom draft is not necessarily who he thinks clubs SHOULD take but who he thinks they WILL take based on intel he has received. So it's not exactly logical to even propose a hypothetical of sacking the recruitment staff and using his phantom draft because his phantom draft relies on what he hears from recruitment staff.

Nevertheless...

2020, Twomey had us taking Elijah Hollands, Tom Powell, and either Ryan Angwin or Charlie Lazzarro with our next pick. Angwin was taken 18 picks ahead of the pick we used on Lazzarro.

2021, he had us picking JHF and Jesse Motlop (or possibly Kai Lohmann, Jacob van Rooyen, or Tyler Sonsie) but that's because he thought Josh Goater would have been taken the pick before. Lohmann went two picks before our pick. van Rooyen went three picks before our pick, and Sonsie was available. Again, I expect he would have been happy that we got Goater instead of Sonsie. With later picks, he had us interested in Lewis Rayson, Jack Williams, Bryce Watson and Eamon Wilkinson, with Jackson Archer as our last live pick. Surely everyone would appreciate that our picks of Paul Curtis and Miller Bergman were better than those options.

2022, he had us picking Harry Sheezel and George Wardlaw, then Tom McCallum but because he assumed Brayden George would have been taken 5 picks earlier. He also had us interested in Lachie Cowan, Josh Weddle, Jacob Konstanty, and Charlie Clarke. Only Cowan was available at our pick, the others all taken, but we got George so he would have been very happy with that. He had us using our last live pick on Cooper Harvey.

2023, he had us taking Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma. With our later first rounders, he had us taking Harry de Mattia, Riley Hardeman, and Mitchell Edwards, with possible interest in Will Green, Taylor Goad, and Wil Dawson. Green was taken before the first of those picks, then we grabbed Goad, then Edwards was taken before we could make another pick (but clearly we rated Goad better) and de Mattia was available after our picks.

So the wash up of all that is that if we picked according to Twomey's published phantom draft, the only differences would have been Elijah Hollands instead of Will Phillips, and then Harry de Mattia and Mitchell Edwards ahead of Taylor Goad and Wil Dawson.

Hollands did not have a great start at Gold Coast but he has certainly found his feet at Carlton. Fair to say that right now, that looks like a better pick than WilPhil. The other two differences are way too early to tell, but we would be pretty happy with Dawson at this stage.

So according to your hypothetical, we would not have chosen dramatically differently if we went with Twomey's phantom draft. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

When he arrived he commented that he couldn't believe how bad the list was.
Aside from a couple of prized early selections, it's probably actually worse now.
There were clearly mistakes made before his arrival, big ones, but we've added to them with more since..
And hence we are anchored to bottom..
Someone posted earlier that he’s brought in eight cast offs from other clubs since 2020 who are now off the list.

What a strike rate that is.

There was plenty of speculation about TTs character pre draft, we had him in our zone. We ****ed that up, there's no way we did our due diligence there, he didn't become a scumbag overnight. If you don't think the big clubs aren't putting in the time and resources vetting these kids you're kidding yourself. I've got little doubt we would've got more out of JHF if we weren't a basket case on and off field, don't even really blame him for leaving. Phillips over McDonald or Hollands an absolute killer, this is not one person's fault it's the whole department. Hopefully Todd and Clarko can fix it.
Maybe, with the benefit of hindsight.. We matched Adelaide at 8, perhaps he'd have gone higher if not for the attitude issues. Imagine the media circus if we didn't take him as part of our academy, the point is it would have taken a massive set of plums to pass on a ridiculously talented kid in our academy because of "concern's over character" of an 18yo indigenous kid.

Last season we delisted 3 small forwards. Spicer, Crafty and Turner. Sure all three had to go but one would think that we would recruit a couple of small forwards to replace them. But Mr List Manager Extraordinaire thought otherwise. We did not recruit one small forward after delisting 3 small forwards last year. Staggering. But that ain’t Rawling’s fault. :stern look
I don't think any of those guys were small forwards though.....club tried to make them small forwards but not their natural positions. But I hear you, that said, curtis can play tall or small, Sheezel was drafted as a forward, RHJ is a natural small forward who's showing promise. I'd really like to see us draft Armstrong and Berry/Hanrahan this year, how and with what picks is the challenge.

What would our side look like if we sacked all recruitment staff and just picked based on Cal Twomey's phantom draft? Would certainly take the pressure off the soft cap. Anyone bored enough at work to go back and do the analysis?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or even just a bf forum member who watched under 18 champs, AIS game and some under 18 games during the year

for instance the following picks would’ve happened if I were in charge

Last year at the time I would’ve drafted Watto, Colby/caddy, schoenmaker, Philactides and Logan Morris with our 5 first rounders

Or from a trade perspective would never have traded our pick 8 (serong or Flanders) for a future first

First of all, remember that Cal Twomey's phantom draft is not necessarily who he thinks clubs SHOULD take but who he thinks they WILL take based on intel he has received. So it's not exactly logical to even propose a hypothetical of sacking the recruitment staff and using his phantom draft because his phantom draft relies on what he hears from recruitment staff.

Nevertheless...

2020, Twomey had us taking Elijah Hollands, Tom Powell, and either Ryan Angwin or Charlie Lazzarro with our next pick. Angwin was taken 18 picks ahead of the pick we used on Lazzarro.

2021, he had us picking JHF and Jesse Motlop (or possibly Kai Lohmann, Jacob van Rooyen, or Tyler Sonsie) but that's because he thought Josh Goater would have been taken the pick before. Lohmann went two picks before our pick. van Rooyen went three picks before our pick, and Sonsie was available. Again, I expect he would have been happy that we got Goater instead of Sonsie. With later picks, he had us interested in Lewis Rayson, Jack Williams, Bryce Watson and Eamon Wilkinson, with Jackson Archer as our last live pick. Surely everyone would appreciate that our picks of Paul Curtis and Miller Bergman were better than those options.

2022, he had us picking Harry Sheezel and George Wardlaw, then Tom McCallum but because he assumed Brayden George would have been taken 5 picks earlier. He also had us interested in Lachie Cowan, Josh Weddle, Jacob Konstanty, and Charlie Clarke. Only Cowan was available at our pick, the others all taken, but we got George so he would have been very happy with that. He had us using our last live pick on Cooper Harvey.

2023, he had us taking Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma. With our later first rounders, he had us taking Harry de Mattia, Riley Hardeman, and Mitchell Edwards, with possible interest in Will Green, Taylor Goad, and Wil Dawson. Green was taken before the first of those picks, then we grabbed Goad, then Edwards was taken before we could make another pick (but clearly we rated Goad better) and de Mattia was available after our picks.

So the wash up of all that is that if we picked according to Twomey's published phantom draft, the only differences would have been Elijah Hollands instead of Will Phillips, and then Harry de Mattia and Mitchell Edwards ahead of Taylor Goad and Wil Dawson.

Hollands did not have a great start at Gold Coast but he has certainly found his feet at Carlton. Fair to say that right now, that looks like a better pick than WilPhil. The other two differences are way too early to tell, but we would be pretty happy with Dawson at this stage.

So according to your hypothetical, we would not have chosen dramatically differently if we went with Twomey's phantom draft. Make of that what you will.
I don't think there is much criticism of his higher picks. The following continue to be problems however:

List balance
Strike rate of mature talent brought in
Poor outcomes from the middle of the draft onwards, including the rookie and mid-season draft.
Excessive contract lengths for questionable talent

I don't think there is much criticism of his higher picks. The following continue to be problems however:

List balance
Poor outcomes from the middle of the draft onwards, including the rookie and mid-season draft.
You mean to tell me that CCJ wasn’t worth four years?

Or Dylan Stephens?

You’re having a lend.

List balance
Agree list balance is a massive issue. Isn't that in large part Cam Joyce's fault tho? Appointed in 2008, and 2010 to 2016 - the period that should have given us most of our required senior leadership today - has left us with basically nothing but Jy?

The competitive disadvantage that resulted from such a shocking poor return has left us scrambling for less than ideal mature talent, necessitating the excessive contract lengths you referred to.

When it comes to poor outcomes from late draft / rookie draft / MSD, I'm not sure we're a league outlier? Putting aside Geelong, Sydney, and perhaps Hawthorn, who have excelled in recent years with these picks, why are we any worse that the competition average?

Agree list balance is a massive issue. Isn't that in large part Cam Joyce's fault tho? Appointed in 2008, and 2010 to 2016 - the period that should have given us most of our required senior leadership today - has left us with basically nothing but Jy?

The competitive disadvantage that resulted from such a shocking poor return has left us scrambling for less than ideal mature talent, necessitating the excessive contract lengths you referred to.

When it comes to poor outcomes from late draft / rookie draft / MSD, I'm not sure we're a league outlier? Putting aside Geelong, Sydney, and perhaps Hawthorn, who have excelled in recent years with these picks, why are we any worse that the competition average?
Surely brady should have started to hunt for gems in the state leagues instead of continuing to try and poach talent if they would never come to us due to poor form?
Clearly brady has never played any type of football manager..

You mean to tell me that CCJ wasn’t worth four years?

Or Dylan Stephens?

You’re having a lend.
Hindsight is wonderful. But the CCJ deal always looked bad. We were destined to finish in bottom two, we all knew it, and we're essentially handing a top 20 pick for him.
I

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically we couldn't have done any better and winning 15 games over five years was unfortunately inevitable

So basically we couldn't have done any better and winning 15 games over five years was unfortunately inevitable
How long do you reckon it will have to be until this become Rawlings problem?

He’s been here for four years already FFS.

How long do you reckon it will have to be until this become Rawlings problem?

He’s been here for four years already FFS.

Just seems like a bit of a waste of money to poach him from another club if the failures of the previous administration meant that we were going to be hopeless.for half a decade anyway.

List balance
The later picks are not predicted by Twomey of course. He only goes to pick 30 in his phantom draft.

Surely brady should have started to hunt for gems in the state leagues instead of continuing to try and poach talent if they would never come to us due to poor form?
Clearly brady has never played any type of football manager..
Brady fails because he doesn't replace Ben McKay with key position defenders
Brady fails because he doesn't hunt for gems in the state leagues
Brady fails because he doesn't elevate players performing at a high level in our VFL team

When Brady does all of these things, it's the recruiting and list management version of "Just kick the bloody thing... oh, who to?"

Or even just a bf forum member who watched under 18 champs, AIS game and some under 18 games during the year

for instance the following picks would’ve happened if I were in charge

Last year at the time I would’ve drafted Watto, Colby/caddy, schoenmaker, Philactides and Logan Morris with our 5 first rounders

Or from a trade perspective would never have traded our pick 8 (serong or Flanders) for a future first
Yeah but all the shitmen you would of traded in from other clubs would of been great

Brady fails because he doesn't replace Ben McKay with key position defenders
Brady fails because he doesn't hunt for gems in the state leagues
Brady fails because he doesn't elevate players performing at a high level in our VFL team

When Brady does all of these things, it's the recruiting and list management version of "Just kick the bloody thing... oh, who to?"
Didn’t we upgrade Sellers from
Our VFL team and he looked so lost at sea I thought it was embarrassing

Hindsight is wonderful. But the CCJ deal always looked bad. We were destined to finish in bottom two, we all knew it, and we're essentially handing a top 20 pick for him.
I
Which was also the pick he was taken at in the 2017 draft but with three years of development. Again, the hindsight thing, but both clubs seemed to think he was developing well enough and justifying the original pick. Both clubs were wrong but Richmond minimised the damage by securing the same pick and only losing three years of time that they'd invested in him.

I'm saying when you inherit Cam Joyce's list, which then spends years languishing through David Noble's ineptitude, I'm afraid even Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to make it competitive.

BR's record has been both decent and imperfect. Its impossible to evaluate him fairly without first acknowledging the shit sandwich he was served from the outset.

It could easily be argued RHJ, Teakle and Dawson ended up best 22 because of how unbalanced the list is. None of them project to be quality long term players.

So when he does well it is actually further proof of how bad he is.

milhouse-looking-glass.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back