Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Great story dude, has nothing to do with you saying Maynard won't be fit to polish Maxwell's boots as a player :thumbsu:
Did you read what I initially responded to?

Anyway, if you feel that Maynard is already playing better footy than Maxwell in all bar 2 yes of his career, I think you're being fanciful.

I'm assuming Maxwell being All-Australian in 2009 is one year he was a better footballer than Maynard, and possibly being captain of the premiers in 2010 may be the other year.

Gee what a crap player Maxwell was for the Pies when you consider Maynard is already a better footballer???

We obviously see things very differently. He still needs to prove himself in my eyes.

Just out of curiosity what year would you say Maxy had his breakout season?

Last week didn't come as a surprise to me. That type of performance is easily something he can replicate as he gets more experienced, however it came again with a couple of poor decisions. Ultimately that's the area of the game he has to work the hardest but I don't know if he has the smarts to do so. By all reports from other players (see B&W show) he's a strange fellow and says a lot of dumb shit so I wonder if dumb decisions will forever be part of his game. Another reason it would have been good to have Heath with us now, he probably would have shown him the way in that regard...

If Maynard doesn't tidy his decision making he won't take Ramsay's spot when he's back (hopefully with no more injuries...).

Last week didn't come as a surprise to me. That type of performance is easily something he can replicate as he gets more experienced, however it came again with a couple of poor decisions. Ultimately that's the area of the game he has to work the hardest but I don't know if he has the smarts to do so. By all reports from other players (see B&W show) he's a strange fellow and says a lot of dumb shit so I wonder if dumb decisions will forever be part of his game. Another reason it would have been good to have Heath with us now, he probably would have shown him the way in that regard...

If Maynard doesn't tidy his decision making he won't take Ramsay's spot when he's back (hopefully with no more injuries...).
Some of the best players in the game have been dummies. Decision making on field requires a different type of intelligence though. Pretty sure our own Ben Reid is no Rhodes scholar, but it's hard to fault his decision making on field most of the time :thumbsu:

Some of the best players in the game have been dummies. Decision making on field requires a different type of intelligence though. Pretty sure our own Ben Reid is no Rhodes scholar, but it's hard to fault his decision making on field most of the time :thumbsu:

Totally get this but it's also possible that being a dummy off field translates into being a dummy on field, particularly if we don't have the right development in place as it would take a bit of training to get better at decision making if it's not a natural trait a player has which is the case for Maynard.

I think our development has gotten worse lately so I'm a bit concerned at to whether we can fully develop players to their potential.l and remove flaws such as these.

Totally get this but it's also possible that being a dummy off field translates into being a dummy on field, particularly if we don't have the right development in place as it would take a bit of training to get better at decision making if it's not a natural trait a player has which is the case for Maynard.

I think our development has gotten worse lately so I'm a bit concerned at to whether we can fully develop players to their potential.l and remove flaws such as these.
Hey, if Adams can improve, anyone can, and he has come on in leaps and bounds this year :D

Alex Rance was the worst player I've ever seen in his first few afl seasons. Now he's one of if not the best defender in the comp!

Bit rough describing Maynard as dumb, on pretty flimsy evidence. The kid's still finding his way at AFL level, and will make mistakes. These guys are under enough pressure, without us disparaging their intelligence. Posters are entitled to their opinion, of course.

Bit rough describing Maynard as dumb, on pretty flimsy evidence. The kid's still finding his way at AFL level, and will make mistakes. These guys are under enough pressure, without us disparaging their intelligence. Posters are entitled to their opinion, of course.
I think you'll find it's well known he's not very bright.
In the B&W show he quoted himself as the least likely at the club to be a politician.
I get the impression the players and he all agree he's not very bright.
That said, footy intelligence is all I require him to have.

Last edited:

Do you watch the content on the club website? I'm not saying anything to pressure the player, I've been a believer and a defender against a lot of criticism and think he's been thrown in the game too early but has reacted pretty well to it. It's very clear that he says/does a lot of dumb things, he says it himself and all of his team mates say it. It's not important to be an intellectual to play the game thankfully but in his case he certainly sounds like someone that doesn't think a lot of about what he says or does.

And like I said I wouldn't care at all if it didn't translate on field. I just think he needs some guidance in order to help with decision making and I'm not that confident in the club to provide it as it stands. I think we've gotten rid of our development coach to cut spend which is a mistake as that's the sort of stuff they can help with.

Do you watch the content on the club website? I'm not saying anything to pressure the player, I've been a believer and a defender against a lot of criticism and think he's been thrown in the game too early but has reacted pretty well to it. It's very clear that he says/does a lot of dumb things, he says it himself and all of his team mates say it. It's not important to be an intellectual to play the game thankfully but in his case he certainly sounds like someone that doesn't think a lot of about what he says or does.

And like I said I wouldn't care at all if it didn't translate on field. I just think he needs some guidance in order to help with decision making and I'm not that confident in the club to provide it as it stands. I think we've gotten rid of our development coach to cut spend which is a mistake as that's the sort of stuff they can help with.

No, I've given the club website away, at least for now. Sick of the spin, TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I've given the club website away, at least for now. Sick of the spin, TBH.

Have a look at all the B&W show videos. Without knowing players or being at training every week it's the closest insight you get into their personalities. And it's fun, makes the players more human than just what you get by watching them on game day. That's where I got all that Maynard stuff as it comes up week after week (in a nice way, not derogatory E.g. treloar a few weeks back called him the biggest space cadet he's ever met, laughing).

He's not dumb but has dumb moments.

Who the cares if he's dumb this is football not rocket science. Maynard can play and is building each week. Some of the best players had a brain the size of a pea.

I heard Jasper Pittard wasn't very bright, and he seems to go alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back