Brereton gives us a belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I'm not buying that. Not for a second
Harvey Wells Petrie Swallow Thomas Thompson Goldstein Hansen Grima Adams were all at the club in 2008.
I'm not sure who you think the nucleus of our team actually is but I would have thought the majority of the afore-mentioned players are in it.
The coach certainly believes this if the decision to top up with Dal Santo is any indication of where he sees the teams development.
The players recruited from 2008 onwards are still mostly kids. Not the nucleus.
Scott has had 5 years to build a powerful team around this nucleus and establish a fanatical, professional culture within the group.
I would argue he has done neither.
Nah, Dermie's full of shit. Here's the comparison based only on players who have played in 2014 and are 50+ gams (might be others on the Hawthorn list who haven't played this year, can't think of any from ours though):

Player Games
Harvey, Brent 376
Dal Santo, Nick 274
Petrie, Drew 258
Firrito, Michael 220
Wells, Daniel 217
Swallow, Andrew 153
Thomas, Lindsay 143
Thompson, Scott 125
McMahon, Scott 119
Goldstein, Todd 115
Hansen, Lachlan 112
Adams, Leigh 96
Bastinac, Ryan 93
Ziebell, Jack 91
Cunnington, Ben 88
Grima, Nathan 79
Atley, Shaun 75
Wright, Sam 73
Greenwood, Levi 65
Macmillan, Jamie 61
Anthony, Liam 57

Player Games
Burgoyne, Shaun 258
Mitchell, Sam 251
Hodge, Luke 240
Lake, Brian 222
Hale, David 210
Lewis, Jordan 206
Roughead, Jarryd 197
Sewell, Brad 196
Birchall, Grant 183
Gibson, Josh 156
Rioli, Cyril 132
Shiels, Liam 91
Stratton, Ben 82
Breust, Luke 80
Puopolo, Paul 77
Smith, Isaac 76
Schoenmakers, Ryan 72
Gunston, Jack 69
Suckling, Matt 68

So Hawthorn have more 200+ players than us, they don't have 17 players in the 50-200 range (neither do we) and 2 of their players (Sewell and Roughy) will soon reach the 200 milestone.

I'm sure Derm has some valid points, but his demographics stuff along with the Boomer stuff is patently wrong.

So Hawthorn have more 200+ players than us, they don't have 17 players in the 50-200 range (neither do we) and 2 of their players (Sewell and Roughy) will soon reach the 200 milestone.

I'm sure Derm has some valid points, but his demographics stuff along with the Boomer stuff is patently wrong.
At the end of the day I'm happy to have anyone bag us in the media right now. I almost don't care about the accuracy.

We deserve it and it usually has a positive result; indeed it has not been unknown for coaches (in times gone by?!) to request such pieces iirc. Certainly it has a more beneficial result than pieces that blow smoke up NMFC players' rear ends. The only thing missing is the article being titled "LOL norf".

Don't get me wrong I think we deserve a whack but I don't know how a lot of you think that is a good article, he has gone with a lot of selective crap.
Dermie took the easy targets to really highlight. Harvey, Dal Santo and Lindsay have hardly been our biggest dissapointments

You can actually take it further and count how many players brought in under Scott are core members of the team now?

I'd say Cunnington is it. Maybe MacMillan. Basti was last year but has slipped out. Black is still not a reliable stand and deliver player. Atley is showing good signs but is still developing.

So either the list wasn't that bad in 2009 or few have developed since that time to plan.

This is pretty much bang-on.
The post-2007 recruiting is another elephant in the room.
I agree that Cunnington is bullocking his way into the top bracket. Atley and McDonald appear to be top shelf but half a dozen others who were hugely rated as recently as last season, now appear to have found their centers at much lower levels. Their lack of development has come as a shock to many and is a key piece missing from the puzzle.
Brad Scott is facing a huge gap in the talent production line between 2010-3 with Atley and McDonald seem to be the only elite talents to emerge from a four-year stretch.
If this is true, then it will bite hard upon the departure of Petrie Wells and Harvey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hear the sen radio tonight?? Dermie throughout the around halftime said that Nth were going at their best but Hawthorn had another gear to go to.......hahaha .....Jesus he's a muppet. He got whacked big time from many after the game and his retort was good luck to you and enjoy the train home tonight I'll have my driver waiting for me.
Very floggish Dermott......and you know it son !! I hope you read this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brereton gives us a belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back