Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no shame in not being the best player at the club, just because you're a number one draft pick. He has been around for years longer than Cotch and Dusty, so of course he gets his share of love. I bet if you asked Dusty who he admired most at the club, Lids would be in the top two. Twice the player... well, I'll assume you're exaggerating, otherwise may as well freeze Brownlow betting now :D
If Dusty becomes a better player, big deal. We're the winners there, and huge winners at that.

Again, Lids won 2 b&f's playing as a mid. He had major problems playing against Picken from the Dogs, but I can't remember any other team in particular that shut him down consistently. I realise he had some other quiet games being tagged, but IMO it wasn't as big an issue as a lot of people make out, or he just wouldn't have won the b&f's.

efa :thumbsu:

He's certainly not the only one to have played crap games against the dogs

Well I don't have a sister, so you can go to town on that, and my mum, well she's part of the reason I barrack this rabble so probably a bit annoyed with her, so gimme your worst ;) So i'll reiterate, don't try and live your lives through your kids champ, it's not good for them.

Now, about this hero worship of which you speak.... I can't remember ranking Lids against anyone in the AFL, club or universe, other than one stat which was used to refute your assertion that he has no ability to get the ball when tagged. I can't help it if you can't understand that. But please, please show me where I have hero-worshipped him or said I think he is top 5 in the AFL. I don't happen to think he is our most important player but meh.... what's it to you. The way you talk about him, you'd think he's Matty White :thumbsu:

I do agree with you that it is a shame that it took a rocket from his coach to get him up and about but then hey, same thing happened to Dusty last pre-season.... Maybe he is mentally weak too. I'm not so sure, seems to be a speciality of yours, perhaps it's a takes one to know one sort of deal there... ciao :)

Nice to know that your mum forced you to follow the Tigers. Maybe you should use your line about parents living their lives through their kids on her. You clearly know what you're talking about on that front.

Nice to know that your mum forced you to follow the Tigers. Maybe you should use your line about parents living their lives through their kids on her. You clearly know what you're talking about on that front.

I'd agree with you if it were true but mum couldn't really care much about sport whatsoever. She'd come and watch us play but certainly didn't harbour any sporting desires of her own.... I actually didn't say forced either. Rest of my family barracks for Melbourne (worse in my opinion) but I went for the Tiges coz my best mates dad did and so did my best mate, until he switched to the Saints when we were 5 or 6. I couldn't switch though for some reason, love the Tiges!

So anyway, just to get this back in perspective because I feel we have lost the plot somewhat (yes yes, I had something to do with that).... where do you rate Lids compared to the rest of our list or in order of importance?

I rate him as our most talented player but I think he is behind Cotch, JR and possibly Dusty in order of importance to our week in, week out performance. I think his contribution to the midfield has been reduced in the last couple of years due to coaching, not his ability or desire for the contest, or his ability to shake a tag. He's been down back because he is good at that rebounding defender role, a very good third up player and one on one very strong.

If he is to realise his potential, he must play midfield and 'rest' across HF IMO, so he can impact the scoreboard a la Dusty and Cotch in 2011... thoughts?

I'd agree with you if it were true but mum couldn't really care much about sport whatsoever. She'd come and watch us play but certainly didn't harbour any sporting desires of her own.... I actually didn't say forced either. Rest of my family barracks for Melbourne (worse in my opinion) but I went for the Tiges coz my best mates dad did and so did my best mate, until he switched to the Saints when we were 5 or 6. I couldn't switch though for some reason, love the Tiges!

So anyway, just to get this back in perspective because I feel we have lost the plot somewhat (yes yes, I had something to do with that).... where do you rate Lids compared to the rest of our list or in order of importance?

I rate him as our most talented player but I think he is behind Cotch, JR and possibly Dusty in order of importance to our week in, week out performance. I think his contribution to the midfield has been reduced in the last couple of years due to coaching, not his ability or desire for the contest, or his ability to shake a tag. He's been down back because he is good at that rebounding defender role, a very good third up player and one on one very strong.

If he is to realise his potential, he must play midfield and 'rest' across HF IMO, so he can impact the scoreboard a la Dusty and Cotch in 2011... thoughts?

Agree with the above.

I think if Deledio had the attitude of someone like Judd, he would be in the competition's best 5 players. He certainly had/has the talent. We wrecked him with all the hero worship in his first couple of years at Richmond, treating him like he was going to save us all. That was the point of my first post.

I definetely want to see him play (well) in the midfield this year.

Agree with the above.

I think if Deledio had the attitude of someone like Judd, he would be in the competition's best 5 players. He certainly had/has the talent. We wrecked him with all the hero worship in his first couple of years at Richmond, treating him like he was going to save us all. That was the point of my first post.

I definetely want to see him play (well) in the midfield this year.

I just want him to play well this season in the midfield so I can serve some STFU pie to my old mate and sparring partner Pav for AA .... :D

I stopped reading this thread a few weeks back and when I had a peek back in this morning, I remembered why I stopped. What a bloody bun fight!

Who bloody cares who is the better player out of Cotchin, Deledio or Martin?! I doubt too many West Coast supporters would have been tearing each other apart when discussing Cousins, Kerr and Judd. I would have thought they'd be happy they had all three. So should we. Special thanks should go out to Melbourne for not bothering to interview Martin and Carlton for taking Kruezer (although no one lost there)

Some people are arguing that Deledio has already peaked. Will some people never learn? He's 24. Have people forgotten Goddards season in 2010? He had virtually the same knocks on him leading into that season despite being a solid contributor prior to that. By the end of 2010, he would have been in most peoples top 5. I had him no 1 purely for his versatility. He was 24 leading into that season.

I think what has made this whole argument worse is that Deledio hasn't been able to prove anyone right or wrong through the pre season. I predict a big game from him round 1 and a strong season.

Hold your fire. Just for one more season.

I stopped reading this thread a few weeks back and when I had a peek back in this morning, I remembered why I stopped. What a bloody bun fight!

Who bloody cares who is the better player out of Cotchin, Deledio or Martin?! I doubt too many West Coast supporters would have been tearing each other apart when discussing Cousins, Kerr and Judd. I would have thought they'd be happy they had all three. So should we. Special thanks should go out to Melbourne for not bothering to interview Martin and Carlton for taking Kruezer (although no one lost there)

Some people are arguing that Deledio has already peaked. Will some people never learn? He's 24. Have people forgotten Goddards season in 2010? He had virtually the same knocks on him leading into that season despite being a solid contributor prior to that. By the end of 2010, he would have been in most peoples top 5. I had him no 1 purely for his versatility. He was 24 leading into that season.

I think what has made this whole argument worse is that Deledio hasn't been able to prove anyone right or wrong through the pre season. I predict a big game from him round 1 and a strong season.

Hold your fire. Just for one more season.

Good call Johnno77,totally agree with you sentiments:thumbsu:

I imagine the GWS option would be looking far less appealing after today.

I think its going to look less and less appealing as the season goes on. The touch up we gave them is nothing to what they will get during the season.

Its going to be very hard from the to lure anyone after their second year.

GWS has never been a consideration for Deledio but I really want a good season just to make sure that Collingwood or Geelong dont have a go at him.

Good management will tell him he will be better set up for making money after football than Richo if he can be part of success at the Tigers.

Deledio is not going anywhere. Geelong/Collingwood/Hawthorn cant really afford him.

And he will not go to Essendon/Melbourne/Kangaroos.

Only club that would be appealing is Carlton but i'm 99.8% sure he is staying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years for Deledio?

With Hurley and Reid signing five year deals recently I'm wondering if this is what is needed to get Brett to sign on.

Generally I am against such long term contracts but with such an open market and free agency coming around it mightbe prudent.

He turns 25 next month so such a deal would take him through to 30. His contract could be front-ended such that in two to three years plenty of money is around for re-signing Cotchin, Martin and others who have progressed.

With a good injury free run and some finals it might take him to 300 games as well.

Re: 5 years for Deledio?

Hmmm speaking from a Deledio perspective ..... I dont see why he would even be interested in signing a 5 year deal. He knows he has market value, I would sign 3 years and if we havent played finals in that time then I'd be saying thankyou to Richmond and walking.

Don't quote me on this because I don't have any inside info, but I'm pretty sure the hold up is we want him to sign for 3 years and he wants to sign for 2 (leaving him out of contract when he qualifies for unrestricted free agency).

I don't see how a 5 year deal solves that problem.

Would love it if we did it though.....

Don't quote me on this because I don't have any inside info, but I'm pretty sure the hold up is we want him to sign for 3 years and he wants to sign for 2 (leaving him out of contract when he qualifies for unrestricted free agency).

I don't see how a 5 year deal solves that problem.

Would love it if we did it though.....

I think he'll sign a 2 year extension next week.

Given his durability you could justify the risk with 5 years.

But I think it's a non issue as I would assume he wants to sign a 2 year extension to bring him to unrestricted free agency. It also allows him to suss out where Richmond is at in relation to finals. If in two years we are no closer to finals you would assume he would walk as a free agent. Would be hard to blame him too.

Good signals from Deledio regarding new contract

I know its not much but after seeing his latest post on twitter

" Brett Deledio ‏ @BrettDeledio03
Hoohoo nearly at 7k followers. Get me more followers than @JackRiewoldt08 and I'll resign straight away. #massivechallenge "

Seems to be a good indication that he does intend to resign with us, I can't see why he would post that unless he was already going to resign with the tigers.

and while I'm at it, if you have twitter, give him and other players a follow, they actually do post some funny stuff and can't hurt our chances to have Deledio resigned quicker :)

NOTE: he just posted "Make that re-sign. My bad." just incase some people where going to get picky with his english :p

Re: Good signals from Deledio regarding new contract

Some people on twitter are actually suggesting that he has signed already.

Probably likely, for him to be joking about it you would think its done or all but done

Anyway let's all sign up with lids, and put that red head from Tassie in his place :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back