Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't like free agency.

Will be like the EPL.
The same teams up the top buying all the good players.

Greedy D. trying to kill the game dead.

It's no surprise that the money teams in Victoria,not the best,have won all the premierships.

Carlton,Collingwood and Essendon and Hawthorn especially with Kennets rich mates.

All our stars will have big cheques put in front of them by those 3 pigs.

HUN once again putting pressure on our club before the season even begins.

Media have a real Richmond chip on the shoulders.
The story was co-written by a Geelong and a Richmond supporter. Interesting.

Here's the rules regarding Free Agency and Brett Deledio:

3. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

• If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
  • His club has the right to match the presented offer.
  • If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.
  • If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

In the case of Deledio the real interesting thing is say he chooses another side, does Richmond then try and match the offer and risk losing Deledio anyway in a trade scenerio or do we choose not to match it and let the AFL gives us a compensation pick?

IMO the AFL compensation pick could be a lot better than anything a rival club would be willing to give up.

So am I correct in saying that just because Richmond match the offer does not mean that Deledio has to stay with Richmond??? Sounds pretty unrestricted to me as the ability to match is fairly pointless if you can seek a trade or walk into the draft.

I don't know why Richmond would want Deledio to walk into the draft (and get no compensation) or seek a trade. For Deledio you would likely get Band 1 compensation which is far more than most clubs could offer in a trade.

Seems like unrestricted Free Agency to me. A tad disappointing really if that is how the new system is going to play out.

So am I correct in saying that just because Richmond match the offer does not mean that Deledio has to stay with Richmond??? Sounds pretty unrestricted to me as the ability to match is fairly pointless if you can seek a trade or walk into the draft.

I don't know why Richmond would want Deledio to walk into the draft (and get no compensation) or seek a trade. For Deledio you would likely get Band 1 compensation which is far more than most clubs could offer in a trade.

Seems like unrestricted Free Agency to me. A tad disappointing really if that is how the new system is going to play out.
Particulary if GWS offer him a contract and finish last (as most predict to happen). He could then walk to the PSD for nothing.

I think your partly correct, I think if Richmond can match a rivals bid then Deledio has 3 choices, take Richmond's offer, reject Richmond offer and take his chances in the Draft (could end up at GWS or Port Adelaide) or try and get to his team of choice through the draft.

If say Brett chooses to nominate a side, at this point IMO Richmond should weigh up how much is it going to cost us against what kind of compensation will the AFL gives us? If a player really doesnt want to play for you anymore there is no point in trying to keep him no matter how much you would like him to stay.

Imagine what a better resourced Tigers would do with an Ottens like trade these days? Or even if we got Scully like compensation from the AFL? Losing Deledio to free agency is not the end of the world and if the club does its job could even be a bonus.

It'll be dependant on how well we do. If we plunge straight to the bottom, we're going to lose him. Success has been on his mind for a while, it's why we nearly lost him in Wallace's last year.

On the other hand, if we're shit enough to lose him, we'll get 2 first rounders as compensation that we can tack on to our already low pick (because we'd have to get one if we finish low enough to lose him) which honestly wouldn't be that bad.

I think your partly correct, I think if Richmond can match a rivals bid then Deledio has 3 choices, take Richmond's offer, reject Richmond offer and take his chances in the Draft (could end up at GWS or Port Adelaide) or try and get to his team of choice through the draft.

If say Brett chooses to nominate a side, at this point IMO Richmond should weigh up how much is it going to cost us against what kind of compensation will the AFL gives us? If a player really doesnt want to play for you anymore there is no point in trying to keep him no matter how much you would like him to stay.

Imagine what a better resourced Tigers would do with an Ottens like trade these days? Or even if we got Scully like compensation from the AFL? Losing Deledio to free agency is not the end of the world and if the club does its job could even be a bonus.
I agree. And I also agree with santa claws when he said to plan for the worst possible scenario and then get thebest thing for the RFC.
Let's say Lids is on $550k? It is not unreasonable for another club to offer him $750k. We may decide that he is worth that and counter the offer. We may have already offered him a substantial pay increase. I would be staggered if he hadn't. But if, say, GWS offer $1mill, we should just say 'no' and let him go and get the best possible pick we can for him.
I don't think we should just hold onto him at all costs. A compo pick would surely be a first rounder. That would give us two first rounders and two 2nd rounders in a bumper draft, not to mention the possible other deals that can be done during trade week.
It is not inconceivable that we could end up with 5 picks in the top 30 in this super draft.

I've calmed down now.:eek:

Sorry Tugga.

I think we have the aces here.

Opponent clubs have to better any deal we lay on the table for Lids for him to leave so we end up winning whatever happens.
DOn't apologise. We all want him to stay, but it must be under terms that BOTH parties are happy with, not just the player.

Everyone is looking to deep into little things over the years that probably dont contribute to his contract at all. From what we hear the enviroment down at the club is great, They all want success. Why would you leave? But if he does go atleast the club wont get dogged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wants to go let him.

Make sure we get the best compensation available and plunder the 2012 draft as much as possible.

Players come players go but the RFC will endure no matter what.

If lids was the type to jump ship he would hav gone years ago and probally should hav but now is not the time imo unless we hav a season like melbourne did last which showed they r a long way off being any good.

I'm pretty sure compo picks can't be used the year you get them. So any compo picks at the end of this year couldn't be used in this years "superdraft".

Is anyone able to confirm Barry's understanding?

Here's the rules regarding Free Agency:
Informative post, thank you!

This part seems very strange:
5. A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract.
So a player only gets to enjoy "unrestricted free agency" at 10 years if he's already come out of contract once before. If Lids wants to stay at Richmond but maximize his earning potential, he should wait until he comes out of contract in 2012, then re-sign for 2 years. Only then does he gets to be an unrestricted free agent in 2014, with maximum bargaining power.

I don't know why the system would build in such a strong incentive for delaying re-signings. Who does that benefit?

I also wonder about this:
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player
If that's only for when the player moves via the restricted free agency mechanism, then in the scenario where a bottom-placed team (like GWS) makes an offer for for a restricted free agent (like Lids), the player's current team will be brutally penalized if they match the offer but the player turns it down. In that situation, the player leaves for nothing via the pre-season draft, while if they decline to match the offer, they get priority picks.

I also wonder about this:

If that's only for when the player moves via the restricted free agency mechanism, then in the scenario where a bottom-placed team (like GWS) makes an offer for for a restricted free agent (like Lids), the player's current team will be brutally penalized if they match the offer but the player turns it down. In that situation, the player leaves for nothing via the pre-season draft, while if they decline to match the offer, they get priority picks.

Or the club can arrange a trade. Yeah, the PSD becomes a trump card for GWS, but if everyone has been civil to the point of the player rejecting his original club's offer then it's unlikely they would shaft us by ignoring trades and going straight to the PSD.

Not that it matters, because we're going to the finals. This whole thing has been concocted between Lids and Dimma as a motivational factor for the rest of the team. Pure genius! Obviously part of Lids' longer term plan to jump ahead of Cotchin and captain the club.

The article (the one with no relevant quotes from anyone) states that Lids wants to play finals. Doesn't actually say he expects to be playing them next year. So as long as the club doesn't go in to meltdown and looks to be continuing in the right direction, I think there is little to fear about him re-signing :thumbsu:

It is not inconceivable that we could end up with 5 picks in the top 30 in this super draft.

How ironic would that be!!!

Last time we had 5 really low picks was in 2004 when we had 5 in the top 20.

That was Deledio's draft & he is the only one that remains a Tiger today. :eek:

I have no fear at all that Deledio will leave. Things are finally looking up, he is being moved back into the midfield after shoring up the backline for the last couple of years and its possible that we'll be right in the mix for finals this year.

The irony of the situation is that the worse that we do this year the more likely he is to leave....but the better we'd do from any compensation.

If we got the same Band A compo from the AFL that Ablett and Scully got (which you think would be a lock given his draft position, B&Fs etc). Then we'd get a pick straight after our Round one selection and a mid first round in an uncomprimised 'super draft'.

If we finished say 14th we'd get pick 5-7 depending on priorities as our normal round 1, and pick 6-8 and say around 9-12 for lids. So if there were no priorities we'd potentially get 5, 6, and 9 in the first round of next years draft!

If we won only 3 games (which won't happen) it would get even better with a compo pick at the end of round 1.

Now I want Lids to stay, but in no way do I want us to sell the farm to keep him. We need all the spare money we can keep under our salary cap to get a gun ruckman or any player that comes available on free agency that would help us moving forward.

Reckon its all media hype personally, but won't be suicidal if he goes either given he's one of our oldest A graders.

NB the rule about not using compo picks in the same year's draft was only for the GC & GWS comprimised drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back