Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you think of 7th brigade park POBT? It is close to public transport (bus at Chermside and train at sunshine station); I keep looking at google maps to see its size there seems to be a nice chunk of unused land there behind the cricket ovals long Newman road. You could just about fit 3 ovals in without removing a lot of trees or displacing cricket ovals.

I drive past there everyday and think how un-utilised that land is (the non cricket area that is).

Just guessing but I could see a few potential issues:

- it is council owned and dedicated for public use - hard sell politically to take community/green space away

- it has a creek running right through the middle. I suspect there are flash flooding problems in some parts.

- it has an historical importance to Brisbane given it was a staging site for troops.

Just guessing but I could see a few potential issues:

- it is council owned and dedicated for public use - hard sell politically to take community/green space away

- it has a creek running right through the middle. I suspect there are flash flooding problems in some parts.

- it has an historical importance to Brisbane given it was a staging site for troops.
Regarding the creek, it does flood, but never to the level of the ovals or houses (it might in a perfect storm - once in a 100 years type scenario though of course). Would be well worth the question to the government from a land and transport point of view. Lots of development happening at Chermside as well, so it defiantly is in a growth area therefore developers might be keen on a football team bumping up land value.

Thanks for the response POBT:thumbsu:

Aren't we?
Plenty believed that Springfield was the cheapest suitable option, fell over due to lack of funds.
It appears to me that we've got other options. Not sure we're at the point that we're forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

It appears to me that we've got other options. Not sure we're at the point that we're forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
Yeah, fair enough, just spitballing. Just thought it odd that while going over and over the options (or non-options) of Yeronga and Coorparoo, I hadn't seen any discussion of other footy grounds. They're all over the place, yet haven't been part of the discussion.
I guess now we have.:D

Just on 7th Brigade park, it might be doable given the relationship between 7th Brigade and the Lions (I go to 7th Brigade gym regularly and the Lions guernsey is always up in their display cabinet). It could be a way to help strenghthen community ties too - the Lions could put a % of money into something like Legacy or something every year.

Regarding the creek, it does flood, but never to the level of the ovals or houses (it might in a perfect storm - once in a 100 years type scenario though of course). Would be well worth the question to the government from a land and transport point of view. Lots of development happening at Chermside as well, so it defiantly is in a growth area therefore developers might be keen on a football team bumping up land value.

Thanks for the response POBT:thumbsu:

Yeah the creek flooding is minimal these days although I did get some good pics of flowing water a couple of years ago. This is a terrible idea though because my house is on the market which means I won't live backing onto the park any more, so we can't move the club there.

And it's not under used, I walk there every day :p

I think GabbaGirl hits the mark with some of the theories being thrown about, and that is the NIMBY factor. Not many locals are going to want to graciously give away public space (and I don't blame them).
It makes either the established venues like QSAC or the out of town greenfield spots like Springfield the more viable spots from a community perspective.

I still think my option at everton park viable. It is private land in a flood zone with some higher land. (At road five and kedron brook). Get the Afl to buy it and the lions can do what they want with. Across the road they are building a big woolworth plus othe shops. Plus express bus transport across the road. I know others laughed at it but if the lions own the land then the other issues disapear.

I think GabbaGirl hits the mark with some of the theories being thrown about, and that is the NIMBY factor. Not many locals are going to want to graciously give away public space (and I don't blame them).
It makes either the established venues like QSAC or the out of town greenfield spots like Springfield the more viable spots from a community perspective.
Exactly. A project would need to have massive community benefit for an existing site used by grassroots sport to have appeal politically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without thinking about the financial side of things, you'd have to think Nathan or the Airport seem the logical options.
Agreed...

QSAC seems perfect depending on how much it would cost to redevelop... It's a pretty good stadium and space already...

I have visions of thousands there at training just before a victorious GF

Yeah the creek flooding is minimal these days although I did get some good pics of flowing water a couple of years ago. This is a terrible idea though because my house is on the market which means I won't live backing onto the park any more, so we can't move the club there.

And it's not under used, I walk there every day :p
Yea it certainly can get high when there is lots rain about.

I live in Geebung so it will be awesome for me :cool:

Regarding it being under used though, I used to jog through 7th brigade and marchant park almost daily (until I got a full time job while still studying at uni :p) and even at peak time (5pm - 7pm) I would rarely see the large grassy field spaces being used. Sure there were lots of people walking/jogging on the footpath, but the actual fields would not be in use. The only space that I would regularly see a people is the little dog park they have there. If that land was used for the Lions, there would still a footpath space for us locals to use, it would just be diverted slightly. Of course the dog park would have to be moved, but there is still plenty of unused space on the other side of the creek near the playground across from the BP.

I agree that it would need public support, but if it was developed with a PCYC/community activity area (use Perry park as a guide), I don't see how that wouldn't be beneficial to Chermside and the closer suburbs. I live in the area and that unused space I am talking about would fit two AFL fields plus an administration building without a doubt. The only physical thing that would have to be moved about 500m to the other side of the creek is the dog park. The there would be minimal landscaping required as the it is mostly green grass. After saying that tough, obviously QSAC or Nathan would be easier for the club since they wouldn't be starting from scratch.

Just howBuy Fifa 15 Coins abundant processing adeptness does the Kinect yield from the console? Its a great way for an organisation to make a statement "Those things go down all the time, with every XDK," said Rare new technology development advance Nick Burton.

07d47b2227f592e9e53bbfe1fea7c0da1192205fb254416b66b1a80d0c25620f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought he was making more sense than the rest of Collingwood supporters who have been posting on our board this last month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back