Bring on the Magpies says Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Pagan the precident?

I was thinking Sheedy myself. Just look how the Bombers have gone pearshaped since about 2002, which is about the time he should have been moved on.

At least in Pagans case there was politics involved....ie Jack Elliot appointing a big name in the vain hope of retaining his presidency.

What? He took you guys to a grand final in his last year. Not sure what it is about Malthouse that suggests he is past his used by date. This isnt someone who coached ten years ago and they are a bit out of the modern day tactics.
His game plan has been made obsolete, thats why he changed it for the 2011 GF albeit belatedly.

His game plan has been made obsolete, thats why he changed it for the 2011 GF albeit belatedly.

With Malthouse at the helm, Collingwood made the finals six years in a row. Came close to winning two Grand Finals in a row; matched it for three quarters against a rampant hard working Geelong team who had players pulling everything out of their ass.

Not bad for obsolete.

Maybe he should still be at the Eagles then. After all he made the finals ten years running there. Eagles surely couldnt win a flag without him.

Oh hang on...they did!!!

Nobody is calling him obsolete. But he might be soon. Carlton will need to win a flag in 3-4 years because thats all Malthouse has left.

No coach has ever won a flag at three clubs and I doubt a coach in his 60's has ever won a flag either. Carlton have gone for the quick fix. As they have done previously.

Maybe he should still be at the Eagles then. After all he made the finals ten years running there. Eagles surely couldnt win a flag without him.

Oh hang on...they did!!!

Nobody is calling him obsolete. But he might be soon. Carlton will need to win a flag in 3-4 years because thats all Malthouse has left.

No coach has ever won a flag at three clubs and I doubt a coach in his 60's has ever won a flag either. Carlton have gone for the quick fix. As they have done previously.

And all this with a list that is inexplicably and perpetually overrated by the media and the public. Honestly the biggest mystery in Football for me; how Carlton's list got to be rated so highly.

And all this with a list that is inexplicably and perpetually overrated by the media and the public. Honestly the biggest mystery in Football for me; how Carlton's list got to be rated so highly.

Eveyr list is overrated until they achieve something. Geelongs was the same; go back to 2003 and 2004 and how everyone began talking up Geelongs list and many assumed they were overrated. Especially once 05 and 06 happened, 04 seemed like an abnormality.

Eveyr list is overrated until they achieve something. Geelongs was the same; go back to 2003 and 2004 and how everyone began talking up Geelongs list and many assumed they were overrated. Especially once 05 and 06 happened, 04 seemed like an abnormality.

yes but geelong was overrated in 2004-2006.

carlton's has been overrated since judd arrived.

if anyone believes that carlton can win a flag without judd i would be surprised.

a premiership must be won in the next 3 years or else... problem is judd is losing grip....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only game now I want to win against Carlton is a GF. sure H&A keep the jucies going but we haven't played of against each other since 81 and we haven't beaten them in 103 years and like a famous political parties motto "It's time". I want Carlton to do well this year so we can meet them in the Granny, then the rivalry will be amazing. You inter-staters will then see what a real rivalry looks like, it will be CRAZY. Unfortunately I have very good memories of loosing to carlton three times in 10 years, never again I say.

Mick is in some ways an a....hole but he got us the flag I thought I would never live to see. He will bring some sort of success I just can't understand why Carlton? Just doesn't make sense. I mean it was hard to fathom that he came to the pies, but not many players/coaches have played/coached at 3 rival clubs that both despise each other and lived to tell the story. I love the social history that it makes but it is probably lost with the younger generation. Professionalism has killed the love of the kill between three old fighters. Two street gang fighters and the "two-bob millionaires". BRING IT ON

Mick is in some ways an a....hole but he got us the flag I thought I would never live to see. He will bring some sort of success I just can't understand why Carlton? Just doesn't make sense. I mean it was hard to fathom that he came to the pies, but not many players/coaches have played/coached at 3 rival clubs that both despise each other and lived to tell the story. I love the social history that it makes but it is probably lost with the younger generation. Professionalism has killed the love of the kill between three old fighters. Two street gang fighters and the "two-bob millionaires". BRING IT ON

I suspect its because the flame hasn't burnt out yet, and a transition to 2ic under one of his charges was not as attractive as the Magpie supporter views it to be. Eddie wined him, dined him and then after 10 years, asked him to consider 'transition'. I'm sure if Eddie was listening closely enough he may have heard Mick's real thoughts about the matter.

Oh hang on...they did!!!

They are addicted to the quick fix at that club. It's the primary reason why they had such a miserable last decade imo.

They are addicted to the quick fix at that club. It's the primary reason why they had such a miserable last decade imo.

Aah wrong club and thread ;).

Well.. depends if the house needs a coat of paint or the foundations are rotting. I think past administration may have been guilty of shoddy renovation, I don't think the current situation is anything of the sort. Change of message, make sure you everyone is given every chance. They are hard to win though.

Aah wrong club and thread ;).

Well.. depends if the house needs a coat of paint or the foundations are rotting. I think past administration may have been guilty of shoddy renovation, I don't think the current situation is anything of the sort. Change of message, make sure you everyone is given every chance. They are hard to win though.
Carlton have been so poor for so long that I think people are going to need more evidence than a new administration to convince them that Carltons out of date culture has changed. Isn't Jeannie Pratt on the board, sounds like a pretty thin coat of paint to me :D

Carlton have been so poor for so long that I think people are going to need more evidence than a new administration to convince them that Carltons out of date culture has changed. Isn't Jeannie Pratt on the board, sounds like a pretty thin coat of paint to me :D

Thin coat of paint? Have you seen that make-up? :D

When Mick and Eddie were at each other Bucks was the Statesman. Didn't get involved.

This is true. Gave the two older men a lesson in retaining his dignity. Very astutely handled.

I think this will continue.

I think it will be more vigorously tested under match conditions. Prior to now, it was all bleating from two guys who had nothing to do with gameday. This won't be the case next season.

have bigger fish to fry this season than Carlton.

That all depends where Carlton sit come September.

Putting an expiry date on Malthouses contract brought the club a premiership because he was forced to lift his game at the trade table rather than persevere year after year with the list he had.

I see this comment a lot, but it doesn't make much sense. What out-of-the-box trade did Mick suddenly make? Jolly? That wasn't the first ruckman he exchanged for a first rounder. Usually though, it's Hine who gets the kudos for trades that worked at Pie-land. Not sure how any expiry date forced Hine's hand.

Love the handle.....spooge...underused word.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring on the Magpies says Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back