Bring on the Magpies says Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton have been so poor for so long that I think people are going to need more evidence than a new administration to convince them that Carltons out of date culture has changed. Isn't Jeannie Pratt on the board, sounds like a pretty thin coat of paint to me :D
Jeanne probably offers a bit more than Alisa Camplin (let's not forget the Collingwood Football Club benefits from the generosity of a member of the Pratt family), unless of course its skiing tips you're looking for.

Feel free to share your knowledge on the subject, for some of your counterparts. You are certainly posting as if it is a topic in which you have a great deal of expertise.
Carn mate, I'm not the only one to unload on your posting in the last couple of years.

I see this comment a lot, but it doesn't make much sense. What out-of-the-box trade did Mick suddenly make? Jolly? That wasn't the first ruckman he exchanged for a first rounder. Usually though, it's Hine who gets the kudos for trades that worked at Pie-land. Not sure how any expiry date forced Hine's hand.

Hine gets the credit for talent spotting. We dont need Hine to tell us that Jolly can play football.

The simple fact is that for ten years Malthouse failed to draft a ruckman to give Fraser a chop out. He finally landed one after his tenure was given an expiry date. In the same trade week he also landed Ball after finally realising that we werent going to win a flag with O'Bree.

Coincidence? I doubt it. Regardless, it worked.

I see this comment a lot, but it doesn't make much sense. What out-of-the-box trade did Mick suddenly make? Jolly? That wasn't the first ruckman he exchanged for a first rounder. Usually though, it's Hine who gets the kudos for trades that worked at Pie-land. Not sure how any expiry date forced Hine's hand.
You have to admit Lee Brown was a pretty good one - think Malthouse had a fair bit to do with that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where was the club when Mick started and where was it when he left?

Mick only came to Collingwood after Eddie promised to feather the nest for him, just as WC did before us. When the infrastructure aint there and Mick is standing naked in his glory - a la Doggies - his record isn't so flash.

Mick only came to Collingwood after Eddie promised to feather the nest for him, just as WC did before us. When the infrastructure aint there and Mick is standing naked in his glory - a la Doggies - his record isn't so flash.

He was pretty good at Bulldogs. Nothing amazing, but for an inexperienced coach its better then some.

You have to admit Lee Brown was a pretty good one - think Malthouse had a fair bit to do with that one

Again, it's a reverse-engineered appraoch of trying to make reality fit the concept. Leigh Brown was a good, but nothing out of the ordinary recruit and Mick had done many of these in his time at Collingwood. Two things that throw this right out of context however, are firstly, that Brown was drafted with a nothing pick, not traded for; and secondly that this was done prior to the succession plan being enacted.

And all this with a list that is inexplicably and perpetually overrated by the media and the public. Honestly the biggest mystery in Football for me; how Carlton's list got to be rated so highly.

No the biggest mystery in football is how that massively overrated list has beaten those world beating superstars from punt road 9 times in a row. Must be witchcraft

Leigh Brown was a gift from the Gods. Malthouse lucked out.

How often does a versatile former top ten pick kpp player with no injury history and no off field history at age 27 with 170 games experience just fall into your laps in the fifth round of the draft, at the exact moment you have a good list but a young spine full of up and coming 20 year old kpps.....and at the exact moment that the role of the second ruck starts to get redefined so that kpp's start playing that role?

(answer.....I reckon the last one was Sav Rocca and Malthouse was responsible for getting nothing for him!!!!)

The simple fact is that for ten years Malthouse failed to draft a ruckman to give Fraser a chop out. He finally landed one after his tenure was given an expiry date.

Lulz. And yet only two years prior to this he traded a first rounder for another ruckman (Cameron Wood) in an almost identical trade o_O The only difference was in the quality the product delivered - which as you've stated is a matter for Hine not Malthouse - not the actual act of recruiting; which was a near carbon copy of a trade done just two years earlier.

Face it! This little story of yours doesn't make any sense. The truth is that the Pies were generally no more or less active following the succession plan than most any other year of Mick's tenure. You hinge your entire concept of Mick being forced to trade, on the back of one deal actually coming off. What if Jolly had been the failure Wood was? Your story wouldn't even vaguely appear to hold water.

The truth is that Mick was always an active trader at Collingwood. The only difference in 2009 was that the sole trade the Pies did turned out to be a baller; again, a matter for Hine not Mick.

In the same trade week he also landed Ball after finally realising that we werent going to win a flag with O'Bree.

Coincidence? I doubt it. Regardless, it worked.

Ball was a draft pick, not a trade. Mick actually walked away from the Ball trade, forcing him into the draft and delivering a no-brainer draft selection. If Ball had allowed anyone else to give him a medical he wouldn't have even been around for you guys to pluck. It was a pot-luck landing that had nothing to do with signing a succession plan. Ball would have been snaffled in any year of Mick's tenure; hell, the Pies traded for Morrison with a similar pick just a handful of years before that.

Lulz. And yet only two years prior to this he traded a first rounder for another ruckman (Cameron Wood) in an almost identical trade o_O The only difference was in the quality the product delivered - which as you've stated is a matter for Hine not Malthouse - not the actual act of recruiting; which was a near carbon copy of a trade done just two years earlier..

Wood was a young ruckman and considered longer term prospect. As it turns out...a very long term but thats another story.

At the time Malthouse didnt feel inclined to go for a bigger more immediate name (and there were heaps floating about) because his tenure was secure and he felt no sense of urgency about the ruck situation.

Ball would have been snaffled in any year of Mick's tenure; hell, the Pies traded for Morrison with a similar pick just a handful of years before that.[/quote]

Not sure how that helps your argument. Morrison was a filler player that Malthouse was quite happy to fill the list with. Its trades like that that could easily have seen him sacked many years ago. It was only the faith and vision of Maguire that kept him at the club when we had a few down years post 02 and 03.

Wood was a young ruckman and considered longer term prospect. As it turns out...a very long term but thats another story.

That's a matter for Hine, not Malthouse. For Mick, he had shown a willingness to trade first rounders for ruckmen well before Jolly and the succession plan. When it didn't come off, he stepped back to the plate and did it again with another ruckman on the market; this time it was Jolly and this time it came off. These were nearly identical actions.

So while you take this single trade and put it forward as resulting from the urgency of the succession plan, I just point to it being a virtual carbon copy trade-play from a couple of years earlier. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Nah, 2009 was certainly not the unique trade period you've claimed it to be.

I suspect this sense of urgency is a retrospective construction you've embarked upon.

Semantics. We were quite happy to trade for him but StKilda got greedy. Totally irrelevant to the topic.

Semantics? LOL. I call it facts. And it's entirely relevant. Malthouse walked away from the trade. Dead set let it slide. No point putting forward as an example of a sense of urgency when there was obviously not a pinch of urgency on Mick's part. In the end, he was landed by way of other clubs passing due to lack of medical info, nothing to do with Mick, urgency or succession plans.

Semantics? LOL. I call it facts. And it's entirely relevant. Malthouse walked away from the trade. Dead set let it slide. No point putting forward as an example of a sense of urgency when there was obviously not a pinch of urgency on Mick's part. In the end, he was landed by way of other clubs passing due to lack of medical info, nothing to do with Mick, urgency or succession plans.

Collingwood strategised to get their man. They got their man. What happened at the trade table and on draft day has got nothing to do with Malthouse walking away from anything. What a nonsense suggestion.

He wanted Ball and he wanted Jolly....and coicincidence or not (believe what you want to believe) he didnt chase any players of their calibre in his entire tenure until after the succession plan was in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring on the Magpies says Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back