Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year and this year
Last year the AFL approved them so we wore them and we could sell them.

This year the club has had a whole lot made up. The AFL can't stop us getting Macron to manufacture 46 or 92 of them for internal use. It's a bit like the AFL saying you can't make a cupboard box.

But they can stop us wearing them and then selling them under the licensing agreement. I suspect the 46 or 92 jumpers will have to be put in storage or be scrapped. Probably cant even given them away.

There's a fair bit of that to it, but AFL know this isn't going to go away - Brisbane are allowed to wear a Fitzroy jumper, the Eagles pull out their old flag jumper for 25, 30 etc year anniversaries, as well as other clubs, get to wear jumpers for special occasions - so they know there has to be some solution.

There have been so many bloody themed rounds over the years the AFL should invent a new one - Premiership Anniversary round.

Clubs in that round chose which jumper they won a premiership in from whenever they started in what ever competition, so clubs can wear a jumper they wore to win a flag be it in WAFL, SANFL, VFL, VFA, AFL or ammos.

That way it solves a lot of issues. And there is no marketing restrictions on production of the jumper.

And unlike St Kilda who only have 1 jumper to wear, we have 37.
Lol @ Gold Coast, GWS and Freo

If there's going to be some kind of organised protest then save it for the week after for the Bulldogs game that will be aired nationally on Seven.

Well the AFL have spoken. I think it was fairly clear that this is where it was headed. The official worded response from the league was as weak and insipid as only the VFL could possibly come up with.

Kochie has firmly stated - as recent as a statement barely a half hour ago, that this issue is not going to go away because it is too important to our club's fans and the club as a whole. The biggest question is how to proceed from here. The club can't just let this go and push it back by 12 months before rehashing the discussion.

I personally don't see many options for the club right now. Eddie all but confirmed last night that this was never a negotiation in good faith. And it is blatantly clear that the VFL are siding with their club on an issue that has literally nothing to do with their club.

To me, the only way to progress the issue is to get it in front of a federal court judge. What other alternative is there? We have reached a point whereby no matter what we present to the AFL, the response is going to be the same (ie Collingwood don't approve so we don't approve).

Take it all the way to the bloody High Court of Australia if that's what it is going to take.

If there's going to be some kind of organised protest then save it for the week after for the Bulldogs game that will be aired nationally on Seven.

I think the protest should be not for one game, but ongoing - until there is a resolution on this very issue in our favour.

These cries about respecting Collingwood and their history are so utterly disingenuous, and it betrays the fundamental mistake made by so many who find themselves in a position of privilege.

Letting us wear the bars takes NOTHING away from Collingwood. They are not losing any rights. At the absolute worst, they'd find themselves at parity with every other club in the AFL - able to wear their preferred uniform at home, and obligated to avoid clashes when away.

I think the protest should be not for one game, but ongoing - until there is a resolution on this very issue in our favour.

Yes. 119% this. Every game.

So Eddie's gone, nothing has changed.

Who'd have thought.... Oh wait. Me.

We need Andy Dufrense from the Shawshank redemption to write a letter to the AFL every week until they grant us The PB
Warden McGuire will make sure it isn't delivered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually really curious where we go with this from here. Do we accept the decision and just start the argument again next year, or do we say “**** this shit” and just do it, copping the penalty. I know what I’m hoping for

Imagine a full house of Port supporters at Adelaide Oval in Round 19 begging for Collingwood’s blood 👊
Round 10 at the MCG will be bit more tense than normal. Should invite Gil, Stephen Hocking and the full AFL Commission to Rd 19 game.

The whole thing in a nutshell revolves around the argument “we were here first and we don’t want anyone else to take anything away from us”. It’s all childish. If you look at the way the big boys play anywhere in Europe there’s no problem with it. It’s really about personalities over substance. It’s quite pathetic.

You're dealing with grown ups there. Here we have a bunch of squawling children in the sandpit who want all the toys.

Can't keep scapegoating our losses in the last decade to the piece of clothing the players wear. It's unlikely we'd have won more flags if the players adorned the prison bars instead of the 'V'. It's symbolic, it does not carry a literal onfield advantage when playing in it.

The administration, coaches and players have to take responsibility for our infield failures in that time.

A nice suit and tie might land you a job, but it's what you do after that matters more. I don't particularly love the 'V' Guernsey like the prison bars, but I love success more.

We'll always be proud of our past because it unites the club, Alberton is still our home and the stories, memories and success will always live on.

We might need to let this go until such time, we'll always fight the cause but I'd rather the club focus on obtainable achievements that can be internally controlled.

A flag should be our main focus and priority, mount a case that we're a successful club by winning the flag and shutting the doubters up. Nothing proves a point more by winning and being successful.

You wanna stick it up em?

Win the flag, at the G, go up with a PB Guernsey, either wearing, celebrate with it, or spin it around. Give a Crawford/Choco moment....

Job done.
Hah, I love everyone saying wear it on the dais as if we haven't been trying to win a flag until now!

Jeez.

A flag should be our main focus and priority, mount a case that we're a successful club by winning the flag and shutting the doubters up. Nothing proves a point more by winning and being successful.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back