Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point it's clearly just a bargaining chip for Collingwood. They will get everything they can out of it, both from the AFL and us.

Unlike Eddie, I suspect they no longer actually care about the jumper, they just care about extracting value from the agreement.

And that’s completely ok

Jeff Browne should have acknowledged our contribution to Australian football (as opposed to just South Australian football) but that’s probably a bridge too far for a Victorian and the Collingwood members

I think the timing has to do with The Advertiser having an exclusive on this. Front page news, two page article and an (favourable) editorial.

I suspect the timing has more to do with Collingwood than Port.

Matthew Richardson liked this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news and common sense prevails. All Collingwood members just got this email.

Looking forward to a great game in rd 2 and good luck for the showdown. Hope this becomes ongoing soon on the same principle stated in the email.

Dear xxxx

I write to advise that we have worked productively with the Port Adelaide Football Club to enable them to wear the “Prison Bar” jumper in their upcoming Round Three home Showdown against the Adelaide Crows.

Since the formation of the Collingwood Football Club in 1892, we have worn black-and-white stripes. The Collingwood jumper is part of the fabric of our Club and is one of the most iconic in Australian Football.

When Port Adelaide entered the AFL in 1997, a binding agreement was signed between the Club and Collingwood, with Port giving up the black and white colours and the Magpie emblem as part of their entrance into the national competition.

While we own the stripes in the AFL competition, we acknowledge the history and origins of the Port Adelaide Football Club and their contribution to South Australian football over a long period of time.

As President of the Club Board and following ongoing discussions with Port Adelaide President David Koch, it is our view that we acknowledge the history of Port Adelaide prior to their entry into the AFL and support them to wear their ‘Prison Bar’ guernsey in their upcoming home Showdown against the Crows in Round Three.

We face Port Adelaide in Round Two at the MCG and we are urging all supporters to attend, along with encouraging all SA-based Collingwood Members and supporters to travel to Victoria for the match.

Our Club, together with Port Adelaide, will be putting on buses from Adelaide to Melbourne with details around travel options to be communicated in the coming days.

Regards,

Jeff Browne

President

why they still pretending an agreement was signed

Well that was unexpected.

Looks like it’s already sold out as the adult option doesn’t appear on the website just the youth.

Good signs especially if the AFL sees how much $$$$ we can make off them.

Lol only just found out about this by turning on the car radio and hearing MMM running a call in about “does anyone care about the Prison Bar guernsey”?
I thought they were gloating that we’d missed out! Took a couple of minutes for them to say that we actually won the fight for this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back