Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
people joke about how gerard whateley would still find a way to seed carlton above brisbane in his weekly rankings next week even if we win the prelim

hoyne is like that joke, but replace carlton with melbourne. he cannot stop frothing them enough because theyre ticking all the champion data boxes
I reckon Champion Data have a slight issue that they haven't rated our game style and players for most of the year. For what ever reason we haven't been matching their indicators and model on what a good team/player should be. If we win they have to recalibrate and see where they got it wrong. If we lose they have plenty of ammo on how they were right and how good their product is

I reckon Champion Data have a slight issue that they haven't rated our game style and players for most of the year. For what ever reason we haven't been matching their indicators and model on what a good team/player should be. If we win they have to recalibrate and see where they got it wrong. If we lose they have plenty of ammo on how they were right and how good their product is
In fairness to Daniel Hoyne, he's rated us for most of the year. About halfway thru the season he rated us as closest to having "the perfect profile" even though Collingwood was being hyped to high heavens by general media. He was still rating us as the beat team up until round 18 on account of our ability to score off turnover. It wasn't until we hit the lean patch of Geelong-Suns-Freo and Melbourne was looking more solid, that's what pushed Demons ahead of us marginally in his mind.

Listening to this week's SEN segment, he spent more time speaking about Collingwood, Carlton and Melbourne (who had been knocked out) than GWS or us. That's because the audience is predominantly Victorian, and the other panellists were steering the conversation that way.

My biggest gripe with Champion Data is the knobs they have pushing it.

Is it the same ankle injury he's been carrying for a couple of months now?

Did something happen in particular during the Port game which aggravated it? Or has it simply been gradually deteriorating since it first happened earlier in the season?
IIRC he did his right ankle against the swans about halfway through the year, looked pretty nasty on TV. I was looking at the replay against Port and around 7.45 to 6.20 in the 3rd Q he competed for a couple of marks and looks like he came down awkwardly on his left ankle (not as bad as McKenzie's), and can see him limping in the background. I don't suppose anyone knows which foot was in a moonboot last week?

Their new player ratings systems does t rate our players but they’ve been high on our overall system and performance this year.

Only criticism has been that while we are better defensively we aren’t top tier and that’s backed up by the eye test.

Gunston will be sub. Tall insurance forward and back and for Oscar. Oscar injured jo into ruck gunston on.

Payne plays and re-injures his ankle gunston comes on plays back.

Gardiner plays and gets torn apart gunston on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that they think that Darragh Joyce might come in for Payne rather than Gardiner.
Really depends on the forward matchups.

Based on Footy Clas's matchups, Gardiner would be better matchup for Martin. Joyce will come in if Lester is matching up on Martin, with the one role of smacking the ball away from either McKay or Charlie.

I don't think Martin will have Lester - he will get McKenna or Wilmott on him, leaving Lester to take Charlie or McKay, whoever comes in (probably Gardiner unless Joyce is considered more in form) for the one remaining and Harris to play off the resting ruck.

Really depends on the forward matchups.

Based on Footy Clas's matchups, Gardiner would be better matchup for Martin. Joyce will come in if Lester is matching up on Martin, with the one role of smacking the ball away from either McKay or Charlie.

I don't think Martin will have Lester - he will get McKenna or Wilmott on him, leaving Lester to take Charlie or McKay, whoever comes in (probably Gardiner unless Joyce is considered more in form) for the one remaining and Harris to play off the resting ruck.

Starce is 100% playing on Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

never ever wish any long term ill effects on players, but McKay has apparently been reported, that he took a number of days to start feeling close to normal after his concussion. Hope he still is a little off for Saturdays game.

never ever wish any long term ill effects on players, but McKay has apparently been reported, that he took a number of days to start feeling close to normal after his concussion. Hope he still is a little off for Saturdays game.
He certainly didn’t look normal after the game.
In another world.

Gunston will be sub. Tall insurance forward and back and for Oscar. Oscar injured jo into ruck gunston on.

Payne plays and re-injures his ankle gunston comes on plays back.

Gardiner plays and gets torn apart gunston on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lyons basically confirmed in an interview (https://spotify.link/100wOgHueDb) that he will be sub this week (4:25)

I'd love it if he wasn't, as he's a gun (IMO) even on this years form.

Lyons basically confirmed in an interview (https://spotify.link/100wOgHueDb) that he will be sub this week (4:25)

I'd love it if he wasn't, as he's a gun (IMO) even on this years form.
Good news. I think in finals the sub has to be an experienced player who is comfortable in his role at AFL and strong in the contest. Pace would be great but not as important. In a close finishes it’s all about winning the contest, decision making and good ball use. Lyon fits the bill.

you can argue that you need coverage if a ruck or key position player goes down, or a very pace player is injured. Most games this doesn’t happen. Balance of probabilities you need a player you are sure can have an impact late in the game.

if you take the “insurance“ for a tall route, you end up with poor old Josh sitting on the bench for the whole game.

Didn’t we train at 830am? Anything on payne??
Zorko said defender Jack Payne ran well at Brisbane's main training session, which was held behind locked gates at the Gabba.
Payne is fighting an ankle injury and will be given every chance to prove his fitness.
Zorko: The Team's in a Really Good Position
This is positive. I think I read someone in the thread yesterday say that Payne was definitely not going to play. Not sure how it will play out, but Zorko seems more upbeat. Promising.

Last edited:
Just read an article from Kane Cornes on the game in the Age, and it really shows the abysmal level of commentary in AFL. Apparently Brisbane were lucky to defeat Port who supposedly took the lead in the third quarter and would have had a considerable lead if they had kicked straight! Not sure what game he was watching. Why let the facts get in the way of an 8 goal thrashing though.And according to him Brisbane has a soft underbelly and a poor midfield as well. Not sure how we managed to get to second on the ladder. He also makes mention of Jackson Payne, following along with most of the moronic tv commentators. Really hard to stomach the garbage that we have to put up with in Victoria from the media down here.

Just read an article from Kane Cornes on the game in the Age, and it really shows the abysmal level of commentary in AFL. Apparently Brisbane were lucky to defeat Port who supposedly took the lead in the third quarter and would have had a considerable lead if they had kicked straight! Not sure what game he was watching. Why let the facts get in the way of an 8 goal thrashing though.And according to him Brisbane has a soft underbelly and a poor midfield as well. Not sure how we managed to get to second on the ladder. He also makes mention of Jackson Payne, following along with most of the moronic tv commentators. Really hard to stomach the garbage that we have to put up with in Victoria from the media down here.
His whole shtick is to be a ‘footy shock jock’ moving from one BIG STATEMENT to the next. The “journalist ” who really does my head in is Kelli Underwood, who seems to find it difficult to tell the difference between Coleman and Ah Chee when calling the game.

If anyone wants a more intelligent and on the money analysis, they should come here and read some martinson MSB ROYS M Malice Grasshopper17 royboys4eva knaf BrisVegasDru scoman SizeMatters rye Sanchez365 BrainOfMorbius briztoon McIvor Dalions Gadzorks KissKiss p4p1 and no false modesty, 3KZ is Football

#TheDistinguishedDenizens of our Board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back