Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Lazarus he has risen martinson :hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat: he's back baby! Gunners for Norm Smith campaign has commenced!

1695212747024-png.1809137
Still can't see the picture sorry 🤔

Richmond fans didn’t go full flog until they won the first premiership.

Carlton fans have gone full tilt after scraping over the line in two finals. I thought I liked Carlton fans given we shared so much time at the bottom together but they’ve gone feral so quickly.
I rate Carlton fans the worst in the competition. (even more than Collingwood) As supporters they are the worst losers and the worst winners I have ever watched a game of AFL with. Our last game at Metricon they were disgusting. The only good part was that most of them left the game only 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Lets hope the same happens on Saturday.

SEN just put up their tip and preview.

Brisbane versus Carlton

Saturday - 5:15pm AEST – Gabba

Here we go. Brisbane hosting Carlton in a Preliminary Final in a game the Lions simply cannot afford to lose, while the Blues have a chance to continue their fairy tale run into a Grand Final.

After MCG wins over Sydney and Melbourne however, the odds are certainly stacked against Carlton in this one. They have beaten Brisbane once since 2017 and that was David Teague’s first game as caretaker coach of the club in 2019.

They haven’t beaten the Lions at the Gabba since 2009 and come into this game with injury clouds over Sam Docherty (shoulder), Blake Acres (collarbone) and Patrick Cripps (nose, ribs).

Brisbane meanwhile is firing on all cylinders having smashed Port Adelaide in the first week of finals. Bar teenage sensation Will Ashcroft, they’re at full strength. They haven’t lost a game at the Gabba in 2023.

The Lions have averaged 96 points per game this season, while Carlton has scored 73 and 74 points in their two finals. Can they restrict Brisbane’s smaller, dynamic forwards?

Every metric says Brisbane wins and wins comfortably, but anything is possible on Preliminary Final night. Particularly with a Lions team that has been here and fallen at this hurdle before.

However, we’re tipping the status quo outcome.

Tip: Brisbane by 45 points.

I rate Carlton fans the worst in the competition. (even more than Collingwood) As supporters they are the worst losers and the worst winners I have ever watched a game of AFL with. Our last game at Metricon they were disgusting. The only good part was that most of them left the game only 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Lets hope the same happens on Saturday.
A few years back I remember reading a Carlton poster talking about how much they hated not being hated. Being not a threat / pitied while stuck at the bottom stuck in his craw and as far as they were concerned being on top was their natural place and if they weren't the most hated in the comp they weren't doing it right.

Different teams, different mores I guess ... we are happy being feared (tears when people see they have a double up against the Lions is a good thing) but I don't think I have met a Bear/Lion/Lion surporter who actually hankers for us collectively to be hated.

On big footy I’ve found Kangaroos supporters the worst!

A few years back I remember reading a Carlton poster talking about how much they hated not being hated. Being not a threat / pitied while stuck at the bottom stuck in his craw and as far as they were concerned being on top was their natural place and if they weren't the most hated in the comp they weren't doing it right.

Different teams, different mores I guess ... we are happy being feared (tears when people see they have a double up against the Lions is a good thing) but I don't think I have met a Bear/Lion/Lion surporter who actually hankers for us collectively to be hated.
Several Collingwood supporters have mentioned similar other times before re: "love to be hated". I dont understand why anyone would want to be hated but each to their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Several Collingwood supporters have mentioned similar other times before re: "love to be hated". I dont understand why anyone would want to be hated but each to their own.
Hopefully our club has the simple motto: “Love to Win” ;)

I live about 2 hours drive North of Brisbane and drive down to each match. The landscape yard in my little town is run by a Carlton supporter, and he had a few runs with Carlton back in his day, he is a diehard blues supporter to say the least and regularly travels to Melbourne to watch them. Nicest bloke you would ever want to meet, well balanced supporter and his knowledge of all teams is great.

But, when the conversation gets to Collingwood and their history of rivalry his eyes go black and steam comes from his ears. Collingwood and Carlton simply hate each other and from what I understand it goes back to the beginning of time. Collingwood was a poor area of Melbourne, it was where the workers lived. Carlton was the place the bosses lived, it was the rich area. The Pies and the Blues simply hated each other and from generation to generation it's carried on.

With Collingwood still in the process (this week at least) and Carlton thinking they have a chance to get there, I reckon they will be testy, us Lions and our supporters are simply 'collateral damage' on what they see as their destiny against Collingwood.

There’d have to be a tonne of Blues fans that should be pretty embarrassed with themselves in the manner that they wanted acted in the middle of the year zooming all over the place, particularly on BF and SEN and wanting Voss head and to burn the place down.

Credit to them that they’ve turned it around in the manner they have, but I bet they’re not sticking their hands up owning their carry on. It’s a bit the same as Port fans despite everything Kenny did (except the straight sets exit) that no matter how many wins they accumulated they still wanted him gone.

Losing Payne might be seen as a blow but really, his form (probably affected by injury) hasn't been all that wonderful of late anyway, has it?

Gardiner is good defender and has shown an ability in the past to slot back in after missing games.

I'm really confident he can do whatever job he is assigned
Agreed. I'm backing Diz in to prove a few people wrong. Very solid defender when his body is right.

It's been said on here before - but I honestly think being the least covered/spoken about team heading into PF weekend is absolutely a positive. The Victorian footy bubble is real, our boys haven't left QLD in a month now and hopefully have the mental clarity to go out and execute.

Bring it on I say. They are tall, extremely tall and Martin is a third tall. We make their disposal difficult we will burn them on the turnovers. Their turnovers against Melbourne was ridiculous and against us we will make them pay. We are also a very good contested team so choose your poison Blues. This is the real test and that is what our boys have learnt over the years. FInals experience is valuable and even though you get a team from time to time who goes against the narrative this isn’t it. I actually have a lot of faith in our boys and our preparation. Gabba is a fast dec/m and speed kills. We will shut down Saad like we did last time to nullify any run from the back line. The midfield battle will be great to watch and reckon it will be an even battle and will ebb and flow through out the game. Let’s go boys!! It’s our time!

Under those circumstances, what do you reckon Nathan Barley - drop Lester?
Not jumping ahead of myself but IF we make the GF, Lester on form thus far should not be dropped.

Payne IF fit should absolutely be selected for the GF. Has played hampered for the past few months but still has done a good role eg Riewoldt, Walker, Hawkins etc Payne seems pretty loyal and committed to the club long term, whilst IMO Dizzy was testing his value on the market before deciding to re-sign. Will never know if signed before or after the Adams injury.

I thought Dizzy would do a role for us in the later part of this season, coming in for Lester, but Ryan has been better than I thought. All things being equal, IF we make the GF, we should essentially stick with the same back 7 that have been getting it done all year.

This reminds me a little of the 2020 Prelim, when Payne came in for Dizzy and Payne had a reasonably good game, especially IIRC the first half, but everyone knew if Lions made the GF that Payne would miss out for Dizzy.

Bring it on I say. They are tall, extremely tall and Martin is a third tall. We make their disposal difficult we will burn them on the turnovers. Their turnovers against Melbourne was ridiculous and against us we will make them pay. We are also a very good contested team so choose your poison Blues. This is the real test and that is what our boys have learnt over the years. FInals experience is valuable and even though you get a team from time to time who goes against the narrative this isn’t it. I actually have a lot of faith in our boys and our preparation. Gabba is a fast dec/m and speed kills. We will shut down Saad like we did last time to nullify any run from the back line. The midfield battle will be great to watch and reckon it will be an even battle and will ebb and flow through out the game. Let’s go boys!! It’s our time!
Melbourne definitely should have won last week if they kicked straight so if we can play like how we did two weeks ago, we SHOULD easily account for them tomorrow night.

Not jumping ahead of myself but IF we make the GF, Lester on form thus far should not be dropped.

Payne IF fit should absolutely be selected for the GF. Has played hampered for the past few months but still has done a good role eg Riewoldt, Walker, Hawkins etc Payne seems pretty loyal and committed to the club long term, whilst IMO Dizzy was testing his value on the market before deciding to re-sign. Will never know if signed before or after the Adams injury.

I thought Dizzy would do a role for us in the later part of this season, coming in for Lester, but Ryan has been better than I thought. All things being equal, IF we make the GF, we should essentially stick with the same back 7 that have been getting it done all year.

This reminds me a little of the 2020 Prelim, when Payne came in for Dizzy and Payne had a reasonably good game, especially IIRC the first half, but everyone knew if Lions made the GF that Payne would miss out for Dizzy.
I will also add, that what is best for the team is obviously the main priority should we find ourselves fortunate enough to be still alive next week, and there are always players that are considered unlucky missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back