Preview Brisbane Lions vs Sydney Swans Sunday 21st June 1:10pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing as a defender is pretty critical to Blakey's success imo

Whenever he gets those turnovers in general play the ground is in a state of chaos and he has the most opportunity to break the lines and game open

Wingman would be more structural and less chaotic

pass
His contributions to help out our defenders in the air and outnumbering is also underrated IMO. (Not knocking our defence though)

I know it's become a bit of a meme but all jokes aside surely Reid is a chance?

Even with Amarteys body of work I would feel alot more confident with Reid lining up at full forward despite not a single game of seniors in ages. You're guaranteed contested grabs and classy ball use + ground level work. Give Amartey a rest in the twos and let him know his position isn't guaranteed unless he can be more consistent at imposing himself.
Amartey was fine yesterday?

Took a few great marks, made some really good contests, kicked a few goals. Admittedly could've had a small bag, but if accuracy is what you're after then Reid's not your guy anyway.

Even with Amarteys body of work I would feel alot more confident with Reid lining up at full forward despite not a single game of seniors in ages. You're guaranteed contested grabs and classy ball use + ground level work. Give Amartey a rest in the twos and let him know his position isn't guaranteed unless he can be more consistent at imposing himself.

I think he is , maybe not this week

Played very well yesterday

Amartey got 10, 5 marks, 2 tackles kicked 2 --- missed 2 shockers as well , 5 score involvements and we want to drop him to tell him what?

we need 26 touches and 5 goals a week?

What are you actually talking about? Amarteys spot isn't close to being in trouble . I am hardly the guys biggest fan but turn it up.

Reid was fine in the lower level, but hardly translates to suggesting he will do more in the AFL than Amartey given most of his career a game like Amarteys yesterday would be better than Reid's usual.

Edit- didn't mean that to sound so harsh, Just don't think Amartey is a concern after yesterday , still our leading goal kicker .

Overtime the non-Victorian Afl clubs that have gone on to win grand finals generally perform great in away games, especially against good opposition that has form not injuries, this is why I reckon this game is so big to the Swans, win impressively at equally the hardest game to win away from home (the Gabba) and the signs will be there not only to consolidate your status as the team to beat for the 2024 flag but also for a relatively young list to be a semi-powerhouse in future years. BIG GAME, go Swannies !!!

Don't be sorry. Thinking out loud about who plays on who and where is the foundation of websites like this.

Yes I am a wonderful poster, thanks.

Amartey was fine yesterday?

Took a few great marks, made some really good contests, kicked a few goals. Admittedly could've had a small bag, but if accuracy is what you're after then Reid's not your guy anyway.
You just don't know what you're going to get with Amartey in a competitive matchup, sometimes his body language and attack on the footy is lacking. I think it's more of a guarantee with Reid. Too often Amarteys contested work just dries up and I get the vibe he's coasting through the motions.

Not necessarily suggesting Reid as a replacement beyond next week. Let Amartey know that there is competition for his spot, and gives Reid a taste of seniors incase we need him.

Anyone else think Blakey could be awesome in the Jmac wingman role? Would lose his rebound Mind you, but might mix things up? maybe stupid, just love ball in hand for the Lizard
I have always wondered if he was played down back in a learning type experiment... I wouldn't be at all surprised if he plays in the middle at some stage, but I feel it's unlikely now...

Btw, who are you putting down back to cover him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always wondered if he was played down back in a learning type experiment... I wouldn't be at all surprised if he plays in the middle at some stage, but I feel it's unlikely now...

Btw, who are you putting down back to cover him?

If Blakey and Heeney are in the middle the defenders can just set up deck chairs and relax :p

Nah - Fox Roberts Florent Rampe Melican Mccartin Campbell etc

Amartey got 10, 5 marks, 2 tackles kicked 2 --- missed 2 shockers as well , 5 score involvements and we want to drop him to tell him what?

we need 26 touches and 5 goals a week?

What are you actually talking about? Amarteys spot isn't close to being in trouble . I am hardly the guys biggest fan but turn it up.

Reid was fine in the lower level, but hardly translates to suggesting he will do more in the AFL than Amartey given most of his career a game like Amarteys yesterday would be better than Reid's usual.

Edit- didn't mean that to sound so harsh, Just don't think Amartey is a concern after yesterday , still our leading goal kicker .
You always know what you're going to get with Reid. Barring injury he's guaranteed to make a contest. I don't think it's a bad thing letting amartey know there is competition + giving Reid a sniff in seniors incase we need him. If Amartey or McLean goes down Reid's your guy. If that happened I'd feel more confident knowing Reid's had a sniff.

We're in a position where we can rest players and set ourselves up. Use it imo.

You always know what you're going to get with Reid. Barring injury he's guaranteed to make a contest. I don't think it's a bad thing letting amartey know there is competition + giving Reid a sniff in seniors incase we need him. If Amartey or McLean goes down Reid's your guy. If that happened I'd feel more confident knowing Reid's had a sniff.

I can see some logic to it, but also I think you are right we know what Reid will give us and in an emergency he will come in and give us that.

Let's say we roll through from here and top is locked.

Last game v the Crows it would be tempting imo to rest Grundy, Amartey etc and play Ladhams and Reid Etc

But wonder if we would?

Why not send Hayward to Andrews? Hayward has done a job on oppos very good intercepting defenders before, and with players like Parker, Heeney, warner resting forward, we've plenty of medium tall firepower
Too short. Andrews is 200cm tall and athletic. Mclean has done the job before, had the height and tank to run Andrews around.

I can see some logic to it, but also I think you are right we know what Reid will give us and in an emergency he will come in and give us that.

Last game v the Crows it would be tempting imo to rest Grundy, Amartey etc and play Ladhams and Reid Etc

But wonder if we would?

No

Long answer no :p

No

Long answer no :p

Yeah maybe it's dumb and we need to sew the spot up first.

I think Longmire believes if they run in the twos and train then they should be right to come in if needed.

Reid won't play unless there is an injury .

Best we will get is Grundy Gulden Heeney Mccartin on the bench late v the Crows

2nd ruck also
Which leaves Mclean with more time up forward and less buggered. You would think this would improve his accuracy. But we'd be fielding a pretty tall team when Lions are renowned for their zippy small forwards.

Perhaps an option to look at when we play a team like Carlton?

But wonder if we would?
If you're going to start resting players it's now. I'm guessing the players are being put through a hard training block in preparation for finals, so better off having game day rests between now and a few weeks to reduce chance of gameday injury rather than waiting till the last round. Suspecting McInerney and Cunningham may be a symptoms of that. And there's a couple of guys running ragged like Gulden, rowbum and Blakey who I wouldn't mind seeing rested. Would be devastating for one of them to go down - we can afford it with Mills and Parker back in.

Also I'm not convinced that a bye right before finals especially is a good thing. Better off mixing it up now before playing the full team in round 24 heading into finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back