Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What transitioning from gastric reflux to angina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brodie deals with more meaningful issues.....anyway, we should get back to the main point of discussion....whether we should have traded brodie to melbourne...it's a fascinating topic and i'd like to get to the answer as soon as possible.

He had to agree to the trade

He wanted to stay in Melb (funny how he used return to Adelaide in contract negotiations.

He wanted to go to a team competing at the top.

Not sending him to Adelaide a couple of years ago was a howler. Eddie & Co blinked.

Funny how people morphed a statement from him that he'd return to Adelaide at some stage because his mum was there into something more than it was. He was asked a specific question, he answered it.

The list management mistake we made was not having enough tall defensive depth not ruck depth. Even now we have a fit guy who has played as a ruckman, it's just that we need him even more in defence.

You can't have 20 ruckmen on your list. We had Cox, Cameron, Begg, Kreuger, Frampton all as potential ruckmen with McStay a designated gameday relief ruck. That's plenty.

This crying over an ex-player in Grundy is thus incredibly sumb. He has his own injury concerns and luck could just as easily fall that he goes down next week.

Yet 2 of the potential ruckmen in Frampton and Kreuger have both played defence. We also have Dean. McStay has also played defence. As has Mihocek. Ruscoe and Kelly both play KPD. How much tall defensive depth should we have.

What is your definition of pretty good for grundy? Do you have low expectations of him, so "pretty good" actually means average?

Among the best on ground.

BEST
Melbourne:
Oliver, Petracca, Grundy, van Rooyen, Jordon
Sydney: Mills, Papley, Ladhams, Lloyd, Florent

He isn’t a 900k+ ruckman. Pretty obvious to everyone. This thread reminds me of the Adam Treloar and Jaidyn Stephenson threads. This thread will end up where they are by next year.

Yet 2 of the potential ruckmen in Frampton and Kreuger have both played defence. We also have Dean. McStay has also played defence. As has Mihocek. Ruscoe and Kelly both play KPD. How much tall defensive depth should we have.
Yea I think our depth across our talls is fine due to the versality. Just unlucky all our injuries have been amongst talls.

I think you're over stating McStay's limitations. He'll improve with time. Symmetry between he Checkers still a work in progress.
Let's hope so. Right now I'm seeing a passive footballer that's too nice to ask for the ball.

You look at our best forwards like Mihocek, Elliott, Ginnivan and they all demand the footy and get mad when the kicker doesn't kick it to them.

Maybe it's all the Almond Piccolos he's drinking.

Because as explained, quality of depth for defenders matters more. Depending on structure, teams can get away with playing complete spuds in the ruck. They can't get away with playing complete spuds in defence.

We were always going into this season missing a quality tall back. This wasn't hindsight, blind freddie and his dog were pointing this out pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's hope so. Right now I'm seeing a passive footballer that's too nice to ask for the ball.

You look at our best forwards like Mihocek, Elliott, Ginnivan and they all demand the footy and get mad when the kicker doesn't kick it to them.

Maybe it's all the Almond Piccolos he's drinking.
Agree.
Against Geel, Crisp kicked a ball low that Ratagulea cut off, which should have been a simple pass to McStay.
He sheepishly looked towards Crisp with his finger pointing up - ie “kick it higher”.
That sheepish look shows he’s just not confident in the environment as yet.

Last edited:
Because as explained, quality of depth for defenders matters more. Depending on structure, teams can get away with playing complete spuds in the ruck. They can't get away with playing complete spuds in defence.

We were always going into this season missing a quality tall back. This wasn't hindsight, blind freddie and his dog were pointing this out pre-season.

First it was quantum, now its quality. Difficult discussion if the goal posts keep moving. I'll leave it there.

First it was quantum, now its quality. Difficult discussion if the goal posts keep moving. I'll leave it there.

It's not a difficult discussion at all and the goalposts never moved, I stated that the level of quality was a crucial difference in rucks vs defenders several posts earlier.

I mean if I have to explain to someone that both quantity and quality are relevant to list management and team selection discussions...I'll leave it there.

brodie deals with more meaningful issues.....anyway, we should get back to the main point of discussion....whether we should have traded brodie to melbourne...it's a fascinating topic and i'd like to get to the answer as soon as possible.
I think we made the right decision given he didn’t want to take a pay cut. His position and attributes aren’t worth 900k, even at 2018 form.

He is a great player nonetheless. When he plays you only need on ruckman in the team, other teams need to combat him with two…so automatically you’re better off being able to field another runner.

I think we made the right decision given he didn’t want to take a pay cut. His position and attributes aren’t worth 900k, even at 2018 form.

He is a great player nonetheless. When he plays you only need on ruckman in the team, other teams need to combat him with two…so automatically you’re better off being able to field another runner.
its all true and i just love hearing about him...tell me more

We’re in a much better team position by moving him on no doubt, even more so when we finish paying him, his departure and our additions and structure are much better now.

I saw the same old Grundy that frustrated me when at Pies, get possies but still unable to impact like a big power ruckman should. Headlines saying Grundy back to his best, really? then I’m comfortable for him to high five, carry on with immature gestures after goals and pull funny faces with dark glasses on after the match!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Almond is not Soy

Oh, don't I know it!

What make me like this thread though is the selective memory.

Isn't it right that when the idea of trading Grundy was on the table, Mitchell deal was nowhere to be seen. This was basically the situation:

Grundy or McStay?

I personally didn't see how getting rid of Grundy was going to help our clearance problem since I rated him a much better ruck than Cameron. McStay I saw as a b-grade, 3rd string, forward, not good enough to displace Hipwood or Daniher, who are themselves not elite.

Suddenly everyone is acting as if we all knew Mitchell was coming to us, when he was a consequence of the great betrayal by Henry right at the death of the trade period.

Things turned out well, but a good result isn't always the consequence of great decisions. Just some good luck.

I saw the same old Grundy that frustrated me when at Pies, get possies but still unable to impact like a big power ruckman should. Headlines saying Grundy back to his best, really? then I’m comfortable for him to high five, carry on with immature gestures after goals and pull funny faces with dark glasses on after the match!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As long as it's largely only the gestures, funny faces and choice of glasses, dark or otherwise, that have changed, and not so markedly his on field contributions, I won't lose too much sleep. If truth be told, I sleep so little that any addition to time spent rolling side to side, back to front, would be intolerable, so I beg the boy not to revisit pre covid days with his on field form.

I was distracted yesterday, and missed viewing much of the game, but it was the constant repetition of his name -'Grundy does this, Grundy does that' - that informed me that the man was recovering elements of himself I had believed were lost. I was certain that both our ruckmen going down motivated this step up in form, as Grundy realised that a lone spindly callow youth now carried the significant weight of expectation of the magpie army. He seems a man motivated by misfortune, determined to gather salt from the sweat of his labour and rub it into our wounds.

Hopefully, next week his lumbering clearance attempts will return, the ball will again slip through his outstretched arms and his kicks on goal will be as rare as hen's teeth. I wish to preserve only memories of greatness rather than suffer it re-birthing before my eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back