Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

And the others? Leading goal kickers. B&F winners. Daniher ended up leaving in free agency and delivered a first round compensation pick.

That’s multiple examples of players on big contracts who wanted to leave being kept to their contract because another team wasn’t willing to trade what the club holding the contract thought was fair.

The thing you said doesn’t happen.

Can’t you just admit you were wrong?
You're wrong. He's not staying.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brodie Grundy is still the 2nd best ruckman in the competition, and I don't see that changing in the next few years.

He would make 17 sides instantly better and I find it puzzling how undervalued he is.

He would not make sides like Fremantle, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs instantly better, just to name a few.

Evidently he didn't even make Collingwood better in 2021 when he played, which is why we are all posting in this thread to begin with.

Im hearing it will be Sam Hayes and pick 37 for Grundy

Port pay his 650k cap. Dees fully off the books
Port generally get deals done when they are keen. I have no doubt they will end up with Grundy, BZT and Ratugolea by end of trade period and might still hold a 2nd rounder (either this year or next year in all of that)

From a Melbourne perspective the fact is appears Grundy is being shopped by his management is a positive. Shows we aren’t just desperately kicking him out the door.
I agree with some that if he lands at port it’ll be the best second they get their hands on and the full wage. Maybe Sam Hayes as we need ruck depth.

You're wrong. He's not staying.

We have a real ITK here people!

You were wrong when you said teams don’t keep highly paid players who are in contract but want out.

I gave you four examples where you were wrong.

Why would someone with a track record of being demonstrably wrong now be right?

Grundy might leave, he might not. But if Grundy leaves it will be Melbourne as the party who needs to agree. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea how contracts work.

We have a real ITK here people!

You were wrong when you said teams don’t keep highly paid players who are in contract but want out.

I gave you four examples where you were wrong.

Why would someone with a track record of being demonstrably wrong now be right?

Grundy might leave, he might not. But if Grundy leaves it will be Melbourne as the party who needs to agree. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea how contracts work.
He'll leave

I think it's pretty obvious he's leaving, Dees sold him a false idea that Gawn/Grundy combo would work, did the same thing to Preuss

Grundy is 100% asking to leave to Swans/Port (sounds like Geelong aren't in the race)

Would be negligent to Grundy's career to hold a bloke who's desperate to play AFL, though it's possible you hold him since you won't get much return and potentially handing him to a contender, but that'll leave a pretty disgruntled player at your club

Last edited:
I think it's pretty obvious he's leaving, Dees sold him a false idea that Gawn/Grundy combo would work, did the same thing to Preuss

Grundy is 100% asking to leave to Swans/Port (sounds like Geelong aren't in the race)

Would be negligent to Grundy's career to hold a bloke who's desperate to play AFL, though it's possible you hold him since you won't get much return and potentially handing him to a contender, but that'll leave a pretty disgruntled player at your club

He will get over it as did Papley, Lobb, Dunkley and Daniher.

He will get over it as did Papley, Lobb, Dunkley and Daniher.
Those 4 when fit, still were in the starting 18 for their teams and played every game

Grundy will not be, he'll be starting for Casey, the man has ambitions for his career, that includes winning a premiership, can't do that when you're not getting picked

Those 4 when fit, still were in the starting 18 for their teams and played every game

Grundy will not be, he'll be starting for Casey, the man has ambitions for his career, that includes winning a premiership, can't do that when you're not getting picked

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does it matter if Melbourne allows him to leave or he just leaves same thing is it not
A contracted player can just decide to leave? Well that’s true, if they are prepared to not play AFL level football.

If Grundy wants to leave, Melbourne need to agree to release him from their contract. Why would they do that?

Just like if Melbourne want Ben Brown to leave at the end of this year, Ben Brown needs to agree to release Melbourne from the final year of their contract (2024). Melbourne may suggest a monetary settlement in exchange for Brown’s agreement to entice him to allow the contract to be broken.

Wherever Grundy wants to play would need to offer Melbourne compensation (i.e. draft picks and/or players) to entice Melbourne to release Grundy from their contract.

I think you mean “I believe that Melbourne will allow him to leave.”
Because they sold him a pup and now he is unhappy and doesn't want to be there playing VFL.

Your right, they arent keeping him in those circumstances.

So any threats to do so from BigFooty warriors are empty.

Because they sold him a pup and now he is unhappy and doesn't want to be there playing VFL.

Didn’t realise when game plans need changing that it allows breakage of contracts.

Good thing he included that clause when signing on the dotted line.

How about the club chasing him for 2 years straight and basically begging him to join them show Grundy that he is valued and can get the deal done.

Would be an absolute embarrassing for them to not pay up now after the chase they have put on.

“We really want you but sorry, only willing to part with a 3rd rounder mate, you can stay in the 2s”

People need to also see that Grundy bought into the vision of Gawndy. You still need it to work. Melbourne are not obligated to keep playing him. And as it hasn’t worked he will be traded no doubt. Doesn’t mean Melbourne ship him off for peanuts. It’ll happen for a second rounder. And all the money.

You’re really driving with the handbrake on and not realising it.

I’ve already given you four examples of clubs keeping a player who was in big coin and wanted out because those players’ suitors couldn’t come up with a satisfactory deal and the club holding the contract decided there was more value holding the player to the contract than shipping them off.

Playing in the best 22 is obviously a factor in how Grundy feels, but any mature player damn well knows there’s no guarantees and if form or team balance warrants it they won’t be in the best 22.

Grundy is a very well considered and thoughtful person, he would 100% understand why he’s not getting a game. He’d also very likely prefer to be elsewhere in 2024 where he is leading the ruck, but he would be smart enough to know two other football clubs need to agree to make that a reality for him.

Melbourne know how vulnerable they are to a Gawn injury. Grundy even as a backup playing VFL has massive value for a team in their flag window.

You’re the BigFooty warrior who doesn’t “get it” and are hoping for a scenario where Port get to upgrade significantly while losing only junk picks.

People need to also see that Grundy bought into the vision of Gawndy. You still need it to work. Melbourne are not obligated to keep playing him. And as it hasn’t worked he will be traded no doubt. Doesn’t mean Melbourne ship him off for peanuts. It’ll happen for a second rounder. And all the money.
Yep.

I heard the deal was with Melbourne so Melbourne may have to pick up the whole liability if Grundy moves to a third party. (But I heard that just once and not since.)
Yeah Tom Browne reported that a while back, but a number of reporters have debunked it since. Basically when he left Collingwood he entered seperate contracts with both Mebourne and Collingwood. So if Melbourne move him on they only have to worry about their bit.

AFL rules do allow three clubs to pay a portion of a player’s contract.

But the Herald Sun understands under the contract lodged with the AFL the Pies have a separate arrangement with Grundy to the Demons’ $650,000-a-season deal.

If Melbourne did trade him, Collingwood would continue to pay that $250,000 portion of his contract for the next four years.
If a third club was prepared to pay the $650,000-plus remaining on his contract the Demons would have no more financial obligations."

"The AFL ensured after the bungled Adam Treloar trade, which required mediation to sort out how much of the $900,000-per-season contract Collingwood paid, that it streamlined the process that saw a club paying a portion of a deal when he moved on."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back