Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a real ITK here people!

You were wrong when you said teams don’t keep highly paid players who are in contract but want out.

I gave you four examples where you were wrong.

Why would someone with a track record of being demonstrably wrong now be right?

Grundy might leave, he might not. But if Grundy leaves it will be Melbourne as the party who needs to agree. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea how contracts work.
How about 'reluctantly agree'?
Reluctantly agree the Grundy acquisition didn't work out and reluctantly agree to let him go for unders.
Still can't believe Melbourne recruited him when you already have the best ruckman in the league.

Didn’t realise when game plans need changing that it allows breakage of contracts.

Good thing he included that clause when signing on the dotted line.

How about the club chasing him for 2 years straight and basically begging him to join them show Grundy that he is valued and can get the deal done.

Would be an absolute embarrassing for them to not pay up now after the chase they have put on.

“We really want you but sorry, only willing to part with a 3rd rounder mate, you can stay in the 2s”
Port will pay what's fair and reasonable for what we believe is a good ruckman but Melbourne will settle for unders due to the lack of recent exposed senior afl form in 2023, his age and knowing Grundy is disgruntled.
Very unlikely that Melbourne will draw this out and continue the distraction into 2024.

Port will pay what's fair and reasonable for what we believe is a good ruckman but Melbourne will settle for unders due to the lack of recent exposed senior afl form in 2023, his age and knowing Grundy is disgruntled.
Very unlikely that Melbourne will draw this out and continue the distraction into 2024.

He played more matches in 2023 and kicked more goals than in 2022. So fair and reasonable based on that is a pick better than 27 which was what we paid.

Or if we want to baseline it based on age a 29 yr old Lobb was P30+F2 when uncontracted. So assume contracted player would be more right?

Take your pick.

He played more matches in 2023 and kicked more goals than in 2022. So fair and reasonable based on that is a pick better than 27 which was what we paid.

Or if we want to baseline it based on age a 29 yr old Lobb was P30+F2 when uncontracted. So assume contracted player would be more right?

Take your pick.
Don’t forget to factor in Grundys bad contract that’s already got him dumped a year ago.

We don’t need his contract off our books. Everyone we want signed long term is sorted and no known targets to spend the cash elsewhere.
No known targets doesn’t mean that your club admin doesn’t have any. You will be looking at trading for someone that suits your list and makes you better. No doubt.

No known targets doesn’t mean that your club admin doesn’t have any. You will be looking at trading for someone that suits your list and makes you better. No doubt.

Makes sense if we are but yet to hear anything.

I think Dees ask for more in a trade if we have no targets in hand for the cap space. If we do we probably accept less.

Then again, no one knew we were after Lachie Hunter until the last 2-3 hours of trade period last year so who knows.

Makes sense if we are but yet to hear anything.

I think Dees ask for more in a trade if we have no targets in hand for the cap space. If we do we probably accept less.

Then again, no one knew we were after Lachie Hunter until the last 2-3 hours of trade period last year so who knows.
Exactly. No one knew we were into Horne Francis until the last minute last year either. Clubs at the top of the table don’t sit on their hands often. I think that the only thing that would really strengthen melbournes list is a tall forward.

We don’t need his contract off our books. Everyone we want signed long term is sorted and no known targets to spend the cash elsewhere.
I know, but it’s still important to mention while discussing his value. It’s a bad contract that’s got him booted out of a club already. While demons don’t ‘need’ him, their original plan hasn’t worked either.

It’s up to demons to decide if they cut their losses or let him waste away in the VFL. If he is traded, I just don’t see him being valued highly like some demons fans suggest. Otherwise, demons would keep him if he’s so important, right?

While bringing up similar players’ value, Tom Mitchell, on big money at 29, was traded for 41, 50, and Cooper Stephens last year. I mean Grundy himself was only worth 27 last year and a year younger.

The Grundy trade will happen, and most likely to Port.

The experiment didn't work, I'm sure the demons and Grundy have been transparent about what the future looks like and will work to get the deal done. Melbourne aren't going to hold him to play in the 2s when they can use the cap space on improving their list rather than having an expensive (and disgruntled) backup in case Gawn goes down. Thats a recipe for disaster.

Given Port and Swans are both keen, plus there may be other clubs interested, Melbourne will get a reasonable trade done.

I'd expect the deal to get done fairly early during the trade period as I'm sure Melbourne would have another deal cooking in the background.

Brodie Grundy is still the 2nd best ruckman in the competition, and I don't see that changing in the next few years.

He would make 17 sides instantly better and I find it puzzling how undervalued he is.
no he's not. he's well behind Gawn, English, Marshall, Jackson and Sean Darcy and Collingwood rated him behind Darcy Cameron.

Some good acknowledgement here that for anything to happen, Dees need to agree and that intentions have always been good.

None of this hysteria some of these Port blokes are spruking.

Brodie Grundy (Melbourne)

“The main thing to understand is both Melbourne and Brodie went into this with great intention.

“He was enormous on the weekend for Casey.

“Let’s focus on that (finals before anything else).

“He’s contracted, so if anything is to happen, Melbourne has to agree.

“We’ll wait and see…”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie Grundy is still the 2nd best ruckman in the competition, and I don't see that changing in the next few years.

He would make 17 sides instantly better and I find it puzzling how undervalued he is.
Grundy hasn’t been close to top 2 since 2020. Gawn, English, Marshall, Jackson, McInerney, Darcy, Witts and Briggs are all better. 8th at best.

Grundy hasn’t been close to top 2 since 2020. Gawn, English, Marshall, Jackson, McInerney, Darcy, Witts and Briggs are all better. 8th at best.

Surely you are taking the piss including McInerney in here. Grundy 45 hit outs 13 disposals to Mcinerny 25 & 9 in round 2.

Or Jackson

Round 11
Jackson - 15 HO and 19 disposals
Grundy - 20 HO and 19 disposals

Round 16
Briggs - 20 HO / 8 Disposals
Grundy - 16 HO / 15 disp and a goal

Matches up against most rucks well. Offering a 3rd round pick is comical.

Last edited:
What are Melbourne's back up ruck stocks like? Are they likely going to need someone back in return in case Gawn goes down?

They are trash. A couple of 19 year old kids who have never played a match or Shache. Hence why it makes no sense to offload Grundy for peanuts.

Yes will need a backup for Gawn, bloke is 32 and fragile.

The level of disrespect is amazing.

Injuries & the Melbourne disaster have really tarnished his rep.

He will dominate next year.

Sydney, Port or Geelong make so much sense.

If he stays fit he’ll make the AA squad. Bookmark it.

Take your pick.
On the con side, Grundy has now gone through two clubs and fallen out of favour, and that’s not a good look. It’s also very different to Lobb who was very much a required player at both clubs… plus he can play forward.

On the con side, Grundy has now gone through two clubs and fallen out of favour, and that’s not a good look. It’s also very different to Lobb who was very much a required player at both clubs… plus he can play forward.

Wouldn’t put sitting behind a 6x AA premiership captain and one of the best ruckman the game has ever seen in the same bucket as “falling out of favor”, but yeah sure ok.

Last edited:
Surely you are taking the piss including McInerney in here. Grundy 45 hit outs 13 disposals to Mcinerny 25 & 9 in round 2.

Or Jackson

Round 11
Jackson - 15 HO and 19 disposals
Grundy - 20 HO and 19 disposals

Round 16
Briggs - 20 HO / 8 Disposals
Grundy - 16 HO / 15 disp and a goal

Matches up against most rucks well. Offering a 3rd round pick is comical.
Perhaps not McInerney but I’d certainly take Briggs from here on. Great player.

The level of disrespect is amazing.

Injuries & the Melbourne disaster have really tarnished his rep.

He will dominate next year.

Sydney, Port or Geelong make so much sense.

If he stays fit he’ll make the AA squad. Bookmark it.
We were told he’d dominate 2021… then 22… then 23. His tap work is still as ordinary as it was at his peak, and his around the ground work has diminished significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back