Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe he was. But Melbourne pulled out multiple players given we play next Thursday.
It's an interesting scenario - Grundy is already knocking on Port's door for 2024, doesn't show up to the VFL final, would you play him in your AFL finals campaign? He could bring with him something of the 'not the right attitude' that you want in September.

I've read different interpretations of Grundy's contract status and I don't think anyone on here knows. As a Collingwood supporter, I'd like to think that if we are part of the negotiations in terms of $$$ paid which has been widely speculated upon, that we would push hard to reduce our salary obligations if he's shipped off to Port - which is looking likely as his final destination.

I've read different interpretations of Grundy's contract status and I don't think anyone on here knows. As a Collingwood supporter, I'd like to think that if we are part of the negotiations in terms of $$$ paid which has been widely speculated upon, that we would push hard to reduce our salary obligations if he's shipped off to Port - which is looking likely as his final destination.
Why would any club agree to the Pies reducing their contribution, given the Pies negotiated his lucrative long term deal... unless you are going to give up draft picks.

Why would any club agree to the Pies reducing their contribution, given the Pies negotiated his lucrative long term deal... unless you are going to give up draft picks.
There's been a significant amount of speculation on this with people with more inside knowledge than your or me so it definitely has legs.

It's an interesting scenario - Grundy is already knocking on Port's door for 2024, doesn't show up to the VFL final, would you play him in your AFL finals campaign? He could bring with him something of the 'not the right attitude' that you want in September.
I would say he is purely back up in case Gawn goes down. I don’t think will see Gawn and Grundy again. Unless we weee to lose a couple more key position players. Then maybe as we are running out of options there.

The majority of reports suggest pies are really tied into The deal for good. And anyway they would have no part in trade negotiations between Melbourne and another club.

If Gawn goes down, they'd be stupid not to play him even if he has sooked it up. What is their next option? A makeshift duo of Van Rooyan and TMac?

He's not getting a game unless big Max gets hurt, but you'd 100% play him if he did.

If Gawn goes down, they'd be stupid not to play him even if he has sooked it up. What is their next option? A makeshift duo of Van Rooyan and TMac?

He's not getting a game unless big Max gets hurt, but you'd 100% play him if he did.
It's not ideal circumstances now is it.

It's not ideal circumstances now is it.

It is what it is...

Only Collingwood supporters have disputed it / speculated on it in this thread, I have posted several links that outline Collingwood's contribution and that it's a seperate agreement with Grundy until the end of his contract. There is zero chance their money element gets renegotiated, there's no grounds to do so.

Only Collingwood supporters have disputed it / speculated on it in this thread, I have posted several links that outline Collingwood's contribution and that it's a seperate agreement with Grundy until the end of his contract. There is zero chance their money element gets renegotiated, there's no grounds to do so.
There's always the opportunity of Collingwood offering up something to drop their financial requirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's always the opportunity of Collingwood offering up something to drop their financial requirement.

The only way that could maybe happen is if they got involved in the 3-way trade and offered a sweetener to either Melbourne and/or Port, and got a nominal pick back like one in 80s or something. They have to get something back. The AFL would scrutinise it to the absolute enth degree and I'm not so sure it would be ticked off, but I guess it's possible. Maybe that's not 0%, but it's bloody unlikely IMO. Would be unprecedented.

Collingwood's agreement is with Grundy seperate, regardless of any trade. If the above fails, the only way they are paying less is if Grundy agrees just to take less money from them. The likelihood of that happening is 0%.

It's a pretty hairy situation.

Last edited:
i know it's probably been said but if Melbourne get rid of him they do need a journeyman ruckman in case Gawn goes down again - tom mcdonald, adam tomlinson, ben brown, schache either rubbish in the ruck or on the way out.

Farris-White is a baby so i'd guess verral is the next in line?

We would need to get a mature ruckman as a back up

Dees are in the box seat

Gawn is getting on and he has another year in him, two at best

Grundy is under contract for a few more years

If Gawn gets injured in the next month, either short term or long term, they have a quality replacement.

To prize Grundy out, you would have to offer the Dees quite a bit.
Barring serious injury I’d say Gawn has at least 3 years in him. He’s an extremely good preparer and that wiry build that long term players have. Also missed a lot of footy early days which means his body didn’t cop a beating early days.
Doesn’t mean he won’t need back up and I tend to agree Melbourne are in a good position here.

Dees will let him go they made a mistake but even more so Grundy (what on earth was he thinking for someone pitched as smart this is about as dumb as it gets). Their are plenty of serviceable backup ruckman as most sides have gone to 1 primary and a backup model. Bryan Sweet Moyle all young enough to come and do apprenticeship as backup good enough to compete at AFL level if needed and cost a lot less so dees can actually try and get a forward!

Interesting concept from Hutchy- mentioned as Dees have no target to spend the cap on in 2024, that they just offer to pay Grundy the full amount at his new club and demand more back in compensation as a trade. (Eg first rounder)

Barring serious injury I’d say Gawn has at least 3 years in him. He’s an extremely good preparer and that wiry build that long term players have. Also missed a lot of footy early days which means his body didn’t cop a beating early days.
The caveat I would put on that is that Gawn is a ruckman, and with the exception of the Madden boys, they don't tend to go as long as other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back