Brownlow Medal 2011 (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be only a small sample size of votes being given out in this thread at the moment. I have votes for the whole year but don't want to post on here when nobody else is posting much, and I'm not sure what I have to do to be part of the private brownlow forum...

If anyone wants to PM me and exchange votes for the round or the year I'm keen to do that.

Tough one to pick last night I thought.. but here goes:

3. Gibbs
2. Fisher
1. Judd

What did everyone else think? :)

Tough one to pick last night I thought.. but here goes:

3. Gibbs
2. Fisher
1. Judd

What did everyone else think? :)

I think you are way off but that's only my opinion.. Gibbs or Judd I feel won't poll, I think fisher is the chance for 1.. Watched the game closely but will watch it again before I decide on all 3..

Dr Awkward I'm in the same boat, I have a season tally, happy to share with you and/or compare..

I think you are way off but that's only my opinion.. Gibbs or Judd I feel won't poll, I think fisher is the chance for 1.. Watched the game closely but will watch it again before I decide on all 3..

Dr Awkward I'm in the same boat, I have a season tally, happy to share with you and/or compare..

My reasoning for Gibbs is that I found he beat Goddard fairly convincingly for most of the night, plus a couple of goals should have put him in front.

Fisher - plenty of contested marks and held off the Blues for a long period of the last quarter with his efforts.

Judd - not a high-possession game but worked his magic in the last quarter.

Could probably swap Fisher and Judd but I'm not sure who else could have bobbed up to take these votes. Mind you it was pretty late over here watching the game so I may have missed something :D

Happy to share thoughts on other games - manage to follow most of them over the weekends.

g'day guys, this is my first post in this part of the forum. am keeping my own count on the brownlow in the hope that it will pay off. I do my best to watch all the games but can't watch them all so was hoping that if I start posting here I can gain some valuable insight into games I can't watch. I'm more than happy to share and compare with anyone and everyone. I'm currently at uni which means my spreadsheet is at home but will be able to post most of my stuff later. I've only fully completed five rounds but have watched a few games from the weekend and here are my thoughts.

St Kilda vs Carlton
For me Yarran stood out above anyone else on the night. His eye catching runs off half back and sublime delivery will mean he polls at least 2 and possibly 3. I think he is a big chance to poll along with Gibbs. I feel they're battling it out for BOG honours. The minor vote will be fought out between Fisher, Judd and Duigan who had a superb last quarter.

Essendon vs West Coast
I think Jobe is the most likely to poll the 3 from this game. He wasn't a complete standout but the fact that he had such a consistent game where many others had some flashy patches makes me think he should poll well in this game. Even though Essendon won the game I feel Jobe will be the only Essendon player to poll with Kerr, Naitanui and Cox all playing very solid games. The only other Essendon players that may poll are Crameri or Melksham. My only queries on these players if they will be noticed by the umps at all.

Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn
I think Sam Mitchell was the standout player of the night. Just racked up the disposals and was clean with his possession throughout the night. The rest of these votes in this game will be tough to allocate. Chaplin was solid across half back for the Power but whether he would manage to poll ahead of the likes of Roughead, Shiels, Sewell and Hodge will be tough to judge.

How about Yarran? you don't think he could pick atleast one up? i thought he was very good, broke lines, changed directions of play and was the general down back

I went to the game, and in my opinion it was:

3. Gibbs - As mentioned, took Goddard out of the game effectively, and was solid as a rock. Couple of handy goals too, and I think he may have just done enough (tough polling game I think)

2. Yarran - Silky smooth and eye-catching whenever he had the ball. A few darting runs, wasn't afraid to break lines and take on the Saints' forwards, and his kicking in particular was very lethal and damaging I thought. Should have definitely been noticed by the umpires

1. Fisher - Worked very hard, and was a driving force behind St Kilda keeping the score very close in second half.

Outside chances - Duigan (very solid in the back for the entire game, but do the umpires know him?), Judd (reasonably quiet game by his standards, and that massive clanger in the last few minutes may have been fresh on the umpires minds), Montagna

There seems to be only a small sample size of votes being given out in this thread at the moment. I have votes for the whole year but don't want to post on here when nobody else is posting much, and I'm not sure what I have to do to be part of the private brownlow forum...

If anyone wants to PM me and exchange votes for the round or the year I'm keen to do that.

I agree. I have a season tally and have done so for the past 2 years with great success. I am happy to fully share my views on a private forum, I have been regularly posting the games I've actually watch at least once rather than just posting games that I read the stats for. Would love to know if there is a private forum going on.

Was at the game last night and there weren't any clear stand outs, but I would go with:

3. Gibbs - started very well and took Goddard out of the game, 2 goals as well
2. Yarran - really stood out with his run and carry through out the game
1. Fisher - took some really strong marks and rebounded well all night

Can see Yarran and Fisher either getting the 1 or 2 votes. But the likes of Russell, Murphy, Schneider and Judd (you can't discount him after 27 touches and the way he polls even though he doesn't deserve to get votes here) getting votes in this match. Very tough one to pick.

I agree. I have a season tally and have done so for the past 2 years with great success. I am happy to fully share my views on a private forum, I have been regularly posting the games I've actually watch at least once rather than just posting games that I read the stats for. Would love to know if there is a private forum going on.

Since I've seen the presence of what I believe are bookmakers in this thread I have been extremely reluctant to post my polling here.

I'm not part of any private forum but at end of the season I plan on posting my votes plus an analysis.

I'm happy just to use my own votes and other publicly available research to make my own conclusions, I'm mostly treating this year as a test of my vote giving ability.

does anyone think that rischitelli is great odds at $7 to win GC? (centrebet) i have him leading on 5, 2 ahead of brennan, and 3 ahead of ablett

he should get the 3 in their win over the power but with ablett's polling history he may sneak the 3 in that game as I feel he was richitelli's biggest danger in that game. as for the weekend's game he is a very good chance to poll but brennan, rich, krakouer and mcgrath all having eye catching peformances, who knows. I wouldn't recommend taking those odds considering their is still a lot of water to pass under the bridge and he is no guarantee be that far ahead in the votes so far.

It's been pretty obvious in the quality and quantity of posting between the last couple of seasons compared to this season. Probably due to a combination of the private forum as well as the number of people keeping their own tally's/spreadsheets to themselves. A mate and I are currently running our own telly where we divide up the games so that we are able to watch all the games as well as replays. I'll be happy to share post season just in case there are any bookies floating around as well as share with other members who do watch the actual games and analyse. I've noticed members who do it based on the general concensus of this forum as well as stats which I don't believe is enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been pretty obvious in the quality and quantity of posting between the last couple of seasons compared to this season. Probably due to a combination of the private forum as well as the number of people keeping their own tally's/spreadsheets to themselves. A mate and I are currently running our own telly where we divide up the games so that we are able to watch all the games as well as replays. I'll be happy to share post season just in case there are any bookies floating around as well as share with other members who do watch the actual games and analyse. I've noticed members who do it based on the general concensus of this forum as well as stats which I don't believe is enough.

+1
I watch all the games online and also look at the stats afterwards. I'm generally keeping my count to myself but will be happy to discuss it via PMs.

- yeh i think rischitelli would be infront for gc at the moment.
- i will post my top 5-10 at different stages. prob not until rnd 11
- i do maybe 1, 1,2,3,1 or 2, 2 or 3 votes so its a range rather then specific
- everyone seems to post their tallies at the end of season or at least ask for club by club leaders which brings out a lot of discussions
- yeh i think the private forums have taken away a lot of the tallies and input

i watch 5 games and try and catch as much of the others games (i usually watch one but then flip to the other) i also watch the sunday footy show for their votes, coaches votes on afl insider, herald sun, the age as well as the bigfooty player of the year and this thread to do my votes. this is my 4th year of keeping a 'count' so i like to think i have a fair idea of the guys who poll well and things that stand out to umpires etc

I will also be posting my tally at the end of the season. And will do at rnd 12 also.

I'm happy to post in here throughout the season, but generally don't have enough time to check in regularly (unless it is to selfishly poach other peoples info for the 3 or so games a week I don't watch).

For me I have stopped posting here a bit as we know we are being watched.....

I am keeping a count but I dont think ill post it on the forum

Although in saying that I would be more than happy to chat to people via PM about the brownlow.

Sorry guys i havent posted in here for a while because i have only watched a couple of games recently. I did watch all the Melbourne and Adelaide game tho:

3. Moloney
2. Sylvia
1. Davey

The votes were pretty clear in that game tho i think.

Was at the lions vs gold coast game on the weekend.. Certain 3 for Brennan, think the 2 and 1 will be shared by Rischitteli and Mcgrath.. Krakouer is a maybe for the 1 with some flashy moments, and Rich a maybe to get the 1 with three goals and setting up a couple of others to keep the lions in it..

Ok awesome well I will probably just exchange all votes at the end of the season as well and will be happy to swap privately with people during the season as well.

If some people are worried about bookies keeping track of this forum then how do they explain all the value on offer last year and that Moloney is $2.15 when he should be about $1.20?

Carlton v St Kilda was difficult to give votes for, no standout players but I've gone with:

Gibbs 2.25 (3)
Yarran 2 (2)
Fisher 1.25 (1)
Jameson 0.25
Judd 0.25

Ok awesome well I will probably just exchange all votes at the end of the season as well and will be happy to swap privately with people during the season as well.

If some people are worried about bookies keeping track of this forum then how do they explain all the value on offer last year and that Moloney is $2.15 when he should be about $1.20?

Carlton v St Kilda was difficult to give votes for, no standout players but I've gone with:

Gibbs 2.25 (3)
Yarran 2 (2)
Fisher 1.25 (1)
Jameson 0.25
Judd 0.25

Moloney is $2.15?? Think Ill put some money on Moloney then:thumbsu::thumbsu: Thanks for that

i think heppel may poll votes for essendon.

and kerr had a fantastic 1st quater but did nothing after that and was tagged out of the game 14 disposals at qtr time 28 at the end.

watson
heppel
nicnat

no-one else is picking heppel except me and terry wallace though.

Guys,

The reason this thread has done so well over the years is because of collaboration. There may be bookies watching, but the advantage we get by comparing and discussing is greater than the impact of this discussion on odds. See last year for such gems as

judd @ 3.5 for top 5
goddard favourite over judd in a head to head
frawley as initial favourite to win melbourne

and plenty more, the value will always be there, look how much was won last year, so if you are keeping a count, it's to everyones benefit to share and compare. If everyone has the attitude of not wanting to share their votes then this thread dies.

Also a good idea when giving votes may be to indicate if you watched the game, or if you got info from other sources.

My votes for St Kilda vs Carlton (watched)
3 Yarran
2 Gibbs
1 Fisher
maybes, judd, dal santo

Gibbs and Yarran could go either way, but he was very eye catching. Judd unlikely to poll, did nothing until the final quarter, and even then wasnt fantastic.

After watching the game again Gibbs was better than I thought and due to the lack of standout players I think he is the chance to poll. My concern was that because he was playing a negating role on Goddard the umpires may not notice as much the job well done. As fans and supporters we applaud Gibbs in his defensive role in stopping one of the games best in Goddard, but being a midfielders award I think the chance of him getting the three are reduced. Therefore

3. Yarran (was outstanding, died off a bit but his run out of defence and how easy he looks to do it really stands out. I dont remember him missing a kick)
2. Gibbs (As I said misses out on the 3 but 25 odd touches and 2 goals)
1. Fisher (Saints best and took a lot of marks from Carlton forward thrusts)

Guys,

The reason this thread has done so well over the years is because of collaboration. There may be bookies watching, but the advantage we get by comparing and discussing is greater than the impact of this discussion on odds. See last year for such gems as

judd @ 3.5 for top 5
goddard favourite over judd in a head to head
frawley as initial favourite to win melbourne

and plenty more, the value will always be there, look how much was won last year, so if you are keeping a count, it's to everyones benefit to share and compare. If everyone has the attitude of not wanting to share their votes then this thread dies.

Also a good idea when giving votes may be to indicate if you watched the game, or if you got info from other sources.

My votes for St Kilda vs Carlton (watched)
3 Yarran
2 Gibbs
1 Fisher
maybes, judd, dal santo

Gibbs and Yarran could go either way, but he was very eye catching. Judd unlikely to poll, did nothing until the final quarter, and even then wasnt fantastic.

You're a bookie aren't you :p

Anyone have votes for WB vs Syd??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back