Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce wants the Hawks to win this year so he can be on the tape at the final siren carrying on as an immortal along with 4 Flags in a row.

Every time that final siren is shown and 100 years in the future...there will be Bruce's voice carrying on.

Listen to him 30 secs after the siren tonight.

Says it all.

It's all about him I tell yas!

If it all goes to plan, I hope he comes up something better than: "they're threepeaters!"

If it meant Darcy would move to Friday nights then I am all for Bruce commentating to the grave. Bruce froths at the mouth and in the pants for Cyril true, but Darcy bitches and moans and would put Essendon on every friday night too I reckon :p

That was the core argument of Geoff Lemon's brilliant article about the Channel 9 cricket commentary team as well.

****ing Brad McNamara.

What did Richie always say? Something along the lines of, "The game of cricket isn't boring enough to need people talking non stop the entire time; sometimes, the play speaks for itself."

1467903340335899.gif
lol. I couldn't believe it when he got married......to a woman. :D

******* Brad McNamara.

What did Richie always say? Something along the lines of, "The game of cricket isn't boring enough to need people talking non stop the entire time; sometimes, the play speaks for itself."

His Google alert just beeped.

He oversold Hawthorn's 2014 win with "Hawthorn produces it's masterpiece, they've never been better than this" etc. Made his 2015 final call as very underwhelming.
if the hawks get the 4 in a row, im pretty confident that the GF will be his final call, as the win will be far to over whelming for poor Bruce especially if cyril wins the norm smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan Conolly was asked about Bruce earlier this week and he said that Bruce has a direction from the heads of Channel 7 to commentate the way he does. More lively, more enthusiastic about the top teams, and less analytical. He agreed it drives him nuts, but you can't blame Bruce for it.

For some reason the masses find it too complicated to follow when commentators talk strategies and tactics and hence prefer hysteria, over-emotion, and make-shift pub talk.

Rohan Conolly was asked about Bruce earlier this week and he said that Bruce has a direction from the heads of Channel 7 to commentate the way he does. More lively, more enthusiastic about the top teams, and less analytical. He agreed it drives him nuts, but you can't blame Bruce for it.

For some reason the masses find it too complicated to follow when commentators talk strategies and tactics and hence prefer hysteria, over-emotion, and make-shift pub talk.

I believe this is correct. For those of us who enjoyed the SANFL in the 1980s, you couldn't get a better caller than McAvaney. When he began calling in the AFL, he adopted a ridiculous voice that was barely recognisable from the caller we used to enjoy.

I believe this is correct. For those of us who enjoyed the SANFL in the 1980s, you couldn't get a better caller than McAvaney. When he began calling in the AFL, he adopted a ridiculous voice that was barely recognisable from the caller we used to enjoy.
So you think Bruce was shit even in the 90's and early 2000's before 7 lost the rights the first time round?

Bruce has a special place for me, he's dropped off the grid in last 7-8 years but lets be grateful for the fact that a professional commentator still gets the big games. Ex players as commentators is where the issue lies with me.

Basil is by far the worst commentator and fearfully a possibly Bruce replacement. Does he even like the game, he seems to go to another place and is on a couple of seconds delay. For example the run down chase tackle from the weekend he barely called.

Give me BT and Dwayne over Basil and Hamish any day. At least they get excited about the game. And at least they didn't run down a dog.

To me the truly frustrating thing with Bruce is that he actually can still call the game, when it's just the play-by-play stuff he's still good and almost great when next to to Dennis, but you just feel like the hero worship/homoeroticism/other miscellaneous shite has taken precedence over actually calling the game. Ch 7 seem to like pushing that cart of irrelevance though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back