Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

just heard the radio call of the last minute or so from last night.........WHY DO ALL COMMENTATORS HAVE TO YELL TO SOUND EXCITED.
I can understand the radio guys a bit but the TV guys.....I CAN SEE ITS AN EXCITING GAME I HAVE THE TV ON YOU DONT HAVE TO YELLLLLL....WOW WEE.....AM I EXCITED AND I AM TELLING YOU IN A REALLY LOUD VOICE THIS IS AN EXCITING GAME.
Because the Callers think they are the entertainment not the game.

"There are too many media people in football who think they are the story, they are not, football is" - Nathan Buckley

Because the Callers think they are the entertainment not the game.

"There are too many media people in football who think they are the story, they are not, football is" - Nathan Buckley
That was the core argument of Geoff Lemon's brilliant article about the Channel 9 cricket commentary team as well.

That was the core argument of Geoff Lemon's brilliant article about the Channel 9 cricket commentary team as well.

Excellent article. Love the line "James Brayshaw has the emotional depth of a sock puppet during a button shortage."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

And yes, Bruce has become a parody of himself. Not sure if he is doing it deliberately or whether age has caught up with him but it really does need to stop if he's to remain one of the premier callers in the game.

You guys do realise that Bruce is the most professional.
Does all the prep work and feeds a lot of the others that just turn up.
That may be true, but he is a terrible caller of the game now. His gushing is way over the top.

13726751_1026867780771974_6153516717290766112_n.jpg

The worst part about Rioli's goal was that instead of thinking 'what an awesome game winning goal' I was thinking about the over reaction of the commentary team. They are taking away the enjoyment of the game so I have decided to sever all ties with their ****wittery.

just heard the radio call of the last minute or so from last night.........WHY DO ALL COMMENTATORS HAVE TO YELL TO SOUND EXCITED.
I can understand the radio guys a bit but the TV guys.....I CAN SEE ITS AN EXCITING GAME I HAVE THE TV ON YOU DONT HAVE TO YELLLLLL....WOW WEE.....AM I EXCITED AND I AM TELLING YOU IN A REALLY LOUD VOICE THIS IS AN EXCITING GAME.
I think the key is to sense the right time to build up excitement. The game should induce emotion, we want that; no problems with commentators making some noise after a big goal to win a game or a particularly good piece of play. Let BT have a go, he's one of the few that can actually get into the feel of the game, as long as WOWEE's are kept to a minimum and THE PACKAGE is held goalless.

The problem, as you specify, is the constant 'need' for AFL commentators to be loud and obnoxious (often not calling the game itself, instead ranting about how good a player is or has been whilst 3 or 4 passes have already occurred *BRUCE*), and hyping the game when it's either speaking for itself or a total dead-rubber blowout. It just feels contrived when we're up by 80 points against Gold Coast at Subi and Dwayne is grating chalk against a board inside our heads at every kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think as we get older, our idiosyncrasies and peculiarities get stronger, we're just seeing a more concentrated version of the Bruce we've all been seeing for years.
But tbh, it's not just him, add BT, Darcy, Ling. I feel dumber for watching them, like somehow we're supposed to identify with their matey schmick , love them for their blokey next door-edness.
Contrast this with watching English soccer - professional, unbiased, informed game callers, who call the play without the hubris and self appreciation.
Tired of the dummies trying make me dumber on Ch7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst part about Rioli's goal was that instead of thinking 'what an awesome game winning goal' I was thinking about the over reaction of the commentary team. They are taking away the enjoyment of the game so I have decided to sever all ties with their ****wittery.

####wittery.

Good word that.

Describes last call by Bruse and Co to a T.

I think as we get older, our idiosyncrasies and peculiarities get stronger, we're just seeing a more concentrated version of the Bruce we've all been seeing for years.
But tbh, it's not just him, add BT, Darcy, Ling. I feel dumber for watching them, like somehow we're supposed to identify with their matey schmick , love them for their blokey next door-edness.
Contrast this with watching English soccer - professional, unbiased, informed game callers, who call the play without the hubris and self appreciation.
Tired of the dummies trying make me dumber on Ch7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree entirely about the contrast in style between English football commentary an what we have here. I would also include the quality of sportscasting in the U.S. with major sports. Unfortunately it appears that those of us who can't stand the style of our local commentators are in the minority. Sports officianados might prefer the smooth style of a Martin Tyler or Al Micheals but they appear to outnumbered by those who regard BT, Darc, Dwayne or even Bruce as essential in making the game more exciting. I can't work it out either.

I agree entirely about the contrast in style between English football commentary an what we have here. I would also include the quality of sportscasting in the U.S. with major sports. Unfortunately it appears that those of us who can't stand the style of our local commentators are in the minority. Sports officianados might prefer the smooth style of a Martin Tyler or Al Micheals but they appear to outnumbered by those who regard BT, Darc, Dwayne or even Bruce as essential in making the game more exciting. I can't work it out either.

I was an AFL tragic all my life until the last few years. I hate the Aussie matey commentary teams, everybody agreeing with everybody
. Once u discover international sports u discover how poor our commentary is
I've also become bored with 10 years of the same few teams contending
Zzz zzz zzz

I remember a game last year, it may have been Essendon vs GWS, with Jason Bennett(?) I think calling the game.
It was so much more enjoyable. Refreshing to hear actual game play commentary rather than the stuff that's put out there at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back