Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcavaney has this infuriating habit of constantly pushing his co commentators to give ongoing appraisals of guys playing. Just shut the f*** up and call what's going on. I don't want these morons who can hardly speak english evaluating players they don't even actually watch that much. Shit network

commentary has regressed because there are now upwards of 6 of them calling the game in some capacity either in the box or on the boundary, etc.

7 think it enhances the coverage and gives each game a big match billing, but it ends up more like a bunch of blokes at the pub who all think they're funny, but they're not.

i have literally gone off watching footy.

Bruce is one of the worst of them, but he is by no means the only one. Most of the current crop of commentators seem to be of the belief that the game exists solely for them to use as a platform to perform in front of an adoring public. The Friday night broadcast is opened with a vomit-inducing montage of each of the commentary team "joshing around, just having a good time with each other" like they are the stars of the show. It's just sad.

I wish there was a separate audio track that muted the commentators but kept the atmosphere of the game.
This sums it up perfectly.

Normally I avoid watching the pre-match bullshit and just turn on at 7:50pm (or whatever) for the opening bounce.

Last Friday night I saw the full introduction to the show itself (the opening 'credits' to the pre-game) - they show each of the commentators standing there in a suit with their names in massive text on the screen. Some of them are even holding/spinning a Sherrin on their finger.

Seriously??? I'm not here to watch/listen to these dickheads... Why not have the REAL stars of the show - you know, the players?

Looking forward to Bruce's fair and unbiased commentary for tonight's game although I'm a little worried that the gushing over the Swans players is going to get a little out of hand.

Looking forward to Bruce's fair and unbiased commentary for tonight's game although I'm a little worried that the gushing over the Swans players is going to get a little out of hand.
Reckon it will be him and Hamish tonight. Good times.....lol

Reckon it will be him and Hamish tonight. Good times.....lol
I really hope they start calling the Swans players by pet names too. It will really enhance the experience. If the Hawks have their Poppy, we want our Pappy. It's only fair.

But we should really focus on the game. How may Cyrils do you think Cyril will get tonight? :rolleyes:

I really hope they start calling the Swans players by pet names too. It will really enhance the experience. If the Hawks have their Poppy, we want our Pappy. It's only fair.

But we should really focus on the game. How may Cyrils do you think Cyril will get tonight? :rolleyes:
Maybe something like LukeyP.
Has a certain ring to it.....lol

My favourite tv commentators were Peter Landy, Jason Dunstall, Drew Morpheus and Sandy..late 90s to early 00s..they were good, professional football callers...

Bruce can be hit and miss..

Now we have mostly special comments people as the main commentary..

Bruce is one of the worst of them, but he is by no means the only one. Most of the current crop of commentators seem to be of the belief that the game exists solely for them to use as a platform to perform in front of an adoring public. The Friday night broadcast is opened with a vomit-inducing montage of each of the commentary team "joshing around, just having a good time with each other" like they are the stars of the show. It's just sad.

I wish there was a separate audio track that muted the commentators but kept the atmosphere of the game.

Yeah it's all about the network's building the 'brand' and those in front of the camera building their 'profile' so that we recognise and identify with them when we (don't) watch shows like 20 to 1, I'm a has been get me out of here, celebrity big brother etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back and watch the 1991 GF. Bruce and Dennis doing the biggest game of the year and they managed to get through it without any gratuitous 'specials' or 'centimetre perfects'. Pretty sure they even kept their hands out of each others groins.

There's a reason they became known as the best but hubris has brought them to their knees - quite literally.

I'll be going the mute route and hopefully G. Whately is calling the game on radio. Should do more prep work cause they suck balls these days.

You guys do realise that Bruce is the most professional.
Does all the prep work and feeds a lot of the others that just turn up.
It's not his professionalism that's the issue. It's his style. No doubt he's knowledgeable and prepares well. It's the barracking and sensationalism.

I think what people are after is a good straight man. A good quality play by play caller and then some reasonable expert colour commentary from his colleagues.

As much as i hate Tim Watson, i think he's the best 'special comments' commentator on tv broadcast. Gives some good in-play analysis and pulls out some left field points/topics that are usually on the money

It's not his professionalism that's the issue. It's his style. No doubt he's knowledgeable and prepares well. It's the barracking and sensationalism.

I think what people are after is a good straight man. A good quality play by play caller and then some reasonable expert colour commentary from his colleagues.

Not gonna find that with Bruce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back