Buckley stands down

Remove this Banner Ad

vb_is_4_me

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They just announced on SEN that buckley said at federation square function that he will be handing over the captancy to clement next year

Well you would want a captain that leaves melbourne in a national competition. Buckley is a great player though. Clement has improved heaps since leaving the dockers and marshalls the defence as it is.

The beginning of the end for a supposed champion who never really scaled any great heights in the game (although its not his fault the game has no representative season), with the major highlights being back2back losses in Grand Finals.

littleduck said:
The beginning of the end for a supposed champion who never really scaled any great heights in the game (although its not his fault the game has no representative season), with the major highlights being back2back losses in Grand Finals.

Have a look at some his his tapes mate. One of the greatest of the modern era.

littleduck said:
Never scaled any great heights? The only thing he hasn’t won if a flag – at least not in thew AFL. Personally he has done it all from AA captain to Norm Smith to Brownlow.

the media may love him
eddie may love him

but he is the most overrated player and captain to ever play 4 collingwood and its a damn offence to all past club greats calling buckley the greatest pie/skunk ever

HugeBluesFan said:
Have a look at some his his tapes mate. One of the greatest of the modern era.
Yeah, but he looks set to retire with the biggest 2 games of his life being losses in Grand Finals. There are no State of Origins or Test Matches to consider as in RL.

Aren't champions defined by producing when it counts in the most important games? In golf, you can win 20 golf tournaments and no majors and you go down in history as a pretty good player who didnt have the ticker to produce the goods when it counted - major championships. Is AFL any different?

littleduck said:
Yeah, but he looks set to retire with the biggest 2 games of his life being losses in Grand Finals. There are no State of Origins or Test Matches to consider as in RL.

Aren't champions defined by producing when it counts in the most important games? In golf, you can win 20 golf tournaments and no majors and you go down in history as a pretty good player who didnt have the ticker to produce the goods when it counted - major championships. Is AFL any different?
Get back to Rugby

footy4eva said:
the media may love him
eddie may love him

but he is the most overrated player and captain to ever play 4 collingwood and its a damn offence to all past club greats calling buckley the greatest pie/skunk ever

Kane 'sugar' johnson

theres a captain you can hang your hat on

MarkT said:
Never scaled any great heights? The only thing he hasn’t won if a flag – at least not in thew AFL. Personally he has done it all from AA captain to Norm Smith to Brownlow.
Fair enough, he can be considered "one of the greatest never to win a major" in golf language. The true golfing greats are major champions, not best amateur in the Masters or best international in a US major or something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

littleduck said:

2002 Norm Smith: He performed in that big game.

littleduck said:

You obviously don't know who Norm Smith is.

littleduck said:
Is AFL any different?

Actually, vastly different. In the golf majors, if you are in the top 50 or so in the world you can play in the majors and start with as good a chance to win as Tiger Woods. In AFL, you can be a great player who never gets the opportunity to play in a grand final; Bob Skilton, for example.

In Buckley's case, he was awarded BOG in a losing grand final (so he definitely performed well in the Big Show), and he's won virtually every individual award going around. Whether you like him or not, or follow Collingwood or not, it would be churlish in the extreme to say he's not one of the modern greats of our game.

Great Player, good captain, but for my mind will be remembered as the guy who left Brisbane because he wanted to win Premierships, so I hope he doesn’t have coaching aspirations!
That said, good decision by him. Allows him to focus on and enjoy the final years in footy, as well as help Clement in the captains role.

St DAC said:
Actually, vastly different. In the golf majors, if you are in the top 50 or so in the world you can play in the majors and start with as good a chance to win as Tiger Woods. In AFL, you can be a great player who never gets the opportunity to play in a grand final; Bob Skilton, for example.

In Buckley's case, he was awarded BOG in a losing grand final (so he definitely performed well in the Big Show), and he's won virtually every individual award going around. Whether you like him or not, or follow Collingwood or not, it would be churlish in the extreme to say he's not one of the modern greats of our game.
I'm not suggesting he isn't a modern day superstar. I'm just asking whether his legacy is similar to being "one of the greatest never to win a major" in golfspeak.

littleduck said:

Listen... either learn something about the Australian game or F off back to Thugby..... you are an embarrassment
:thumbsdown:
There is hope..... even a Carlton fan said... watch some tapes... one of the BEST ever certainly top 5 during his career.... NO DOUBT!:thumbsu:

littleduck said:

Tony Lockett
Garry Ablett

Did these blokes not reach any greath heights?
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
And no, im not trying to compare Buckley to Plugger of Ablett before anyone bites my head off.

littleduck said:
I'm not suggesting he isn't a modern day superstar. I'm just asking whether his legacy is similar to being "one of the greatest never to win a major" in golfspeak.

There are lots of duds with Premiership medals on the mantlepiece.

St DAC said:

Good point St Dac, also you play 4 majors a year, unlike 1 grand final a year. Over the 15 or 16 seasons he's played there have been 64 majors. ***** comparison if you ask me and i don't even like Buckley!

littleduck said:
But as golf is an individual sport that makes no sense.
You are better off stating "one of the greatest never to lead his side to a flag".

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley stands down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back