Buckley V Crawford

Remove this Banner Ad

Crawford is a gun but people forget how he had a preety bad patch of football after he won his Brownlow

Crawford carried a average team come on your mob made a prelim and almost knocked Essendon off one of the greatest teams off all time Hawks were not a average team just Under Achievers like Freo

You only started to become average when you did the rebuild

Buckley did have some good players around him in his career but so did Crawford

Nothing like what Voss and Hird played with

Buckley for me

On the field Buckley shades Crawf but not by a big margin.

Crawf gets a few points for playing his career at one club plus inspiring the Hawks to win a Premiership.

Most of the Hawk players were quoted as saying " we did it for Crawf "

Are they both your mates? If not how could you possibly have any clue?

I have met Buckley on a couple of occasions and he seems like a great bloke.

I have met both of them and they are both sensational blokes they just are both very different

Crawford the guy thats always having a laugh
Buckley a great gentlemen but hasnt got that same personality

I cannot see this ending well, Collingwood supporters will say Buckley, Hawks will say Crawf.

Going to be an interesting topic.

No, Buckley easily. One of the most skilled, damaging and composed players i have ever seen. Crawf is a good player but he's no Buckley/Hird/Voss.

I think Buckley was a better player through his career.

There are two levels:

Mathews has his own level.

Level 1: Buckley, Hird, Voss - with maybe Judd, Ablett and possibly Hodge to reach this level. Roo maybe?

Level 2: Crawford, Cousins, Harvey, Black, West, Bartel and others.

Thats a pretty fair scale and agree with all the names.

Also, people who never saw him play will never be able to comprehend how good Matthews really was throughout his entire career:thumbsu:

Buckley is one of the greats of all time.

Crawf is a great bloke and good footballer but is hyped up by the media and his appearances on the footy show etc and all the associated bling add to this perception.

Give Cameron Bruce a seat on the footy show and 300 games and a premiership and who is better between him and Crawford?

Wrong. They hinder the way he is perceived by the public as a footballer. Pure and Simple.

in 1999 when Crawf won the Brownlow he was only a few votes ahead of Bucks who couldn't vote in 7 games because of a broken jaw (Justin Murphy you thug!) in a team that finished last. Crawf was exceptionally lucky to win that one.

He was the most dominant player that season EASILY. VERY F**king EASILY TOO.

Crawford is a gun but people forget how he had a preety bad patch of football after he won his Brownlow

One season (2000) and then another in 2004 I think when decimated by injury. Otherwise has still been a gun all the way and even this year with limited games through injury, was still an excellent player when on the park.

Buckley is underrated too. Probably spent a couple of years playing with a dodgy hamstring at the end and we forgot how good he was when fit. His stats are pretty amazing.

Buckley by a fair bit. I rate Buckley along with Hird as the best players over the last 10 years both ahead of Voss. Crawford would be back with the pack of very good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley was definately the better footballer. Hird, Voss and Buckley were the three standout midfielders of the modern era. Crawford was extremely good, and Buddy said out of all the Hawks players he'd rather Crawf kicking to him. Buckley would be jealous of Crawford now though!

Crawford was awesome in 99, in fact I think that in 99 he was better than Buckley has ever been. Crawford won the Leigh Mathews trophy that year, I don't think Bucks has ever won the "players award" has he?

That being said, over the course of their careers Buckley was the better footballer, certainly more consistent and more damaging with the ball.

I think crawf will take his premiership medallion and the chance to go back to back over the plaudits of a few Big Footy posters though.

in 1999 when Crawf won the Brownlow he was only a few votes ahead of Bucks who couldn't vote in 7 games because of a broken jaw (Justin Murphy you thug!) in a team that finished last. Crawf was exceptionally lucky to win that one.

not sure where you got that from.
From memory, crawford won the medal buy 5-6 votes from mark mercuri and matthew allan. dunno where bucks finished, but he wasnt top 3.

buckley was massively over rated.
purely for the fact that he was the best player on the most popular afl club with the most supporters.
fact is,crawf was/is better and his work has been underrated.

not sure where you got that from.
From memory, crawford won the medal buy 5-6 votes from mark mercuri and matthew allan. dunno where bucks finished, but he wasnt top 3.
1993 - 6th (4 votes from winner) (debut season i might add)
1997 - 9th equal
1998 - 2nd
1999 - 3rd equal
2000 - 5th equal
2001 - 9th equal
2003 - winner equal

has been in the top 10 of the brownlow 7 times. would have been more in the following years had injuries not played their part.

in the year crawf won it buckley was 8 votes behind. he missed 5 games (+ 1 where he was off in the first quarter)

so in 6 games who knows what might have happened. at the very least it's safe to say he definitly would have climbed to second.

I dont think its safe to say that nardz,
do you think crawf hasnt had his bad luck aswell?

count up all the minutes buckley was off the field,imagine if he played those minutes,adding to the total game time,
i think then its pretty certain he would have climbed to second?
hahaha

Are they both your mates? If not how could you possibly have any clue?

I have met Buckley on a couple of occasions and he seems like a great bloke.

Congratulations on meeting a footballer in Melbourne. What are the odds?

My comment was more around the public persona of the 2. Crawford is very well liked from his footy show and other media appearances. he is a Lovable larrikin, and even opposition fans seem to smile at his antics.

Buckley is a great football commentator, and very knowledgable, but his deadpan lack of personalilty (on screen or radio) lead me to make my judgement, as is my bigfooty right.

Think Robert Walls v Dipper. Who would YOU rather have a beer with?

I dont think its safe to say that nardz,
do you think crawf hasnt had his bad luck aswell?

count up all the minutes buckley was off the field,imagine if he played those minutes,adding to the total game time,
i think then its pretty certain he would have climbed to second?
hahaha

where did i say it's certain he would hvae over taken crawf?

i said he would have climbed to second. he needed 2 votes to be equal second and i'm pretty sure he would have got that in 6 games, considering his form during around the weeks that he missed.

I remember when the Lions were at their prime, there were a few opposition players that were a thorn in our side and caused us all sorts of headaches.
Buckley was one of them but Crawford wasn't. In fact when we played the Hawks I remember viewing Crawford as a witches hat, not very damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley V Crawford

Remove this Banner Ad

Back