Buckley V Crawford

Remove this Banner Ad

Crawford won a premiership & I'm very happy for him, but that's about all he has on Bucks.
Remember it was Crawf who was replaced as captain by none other than Vandenberg.... who retired before him anyway!

Crawford won a premiership & I'm very happy for him, but that's about all he has on Bucks.
Remember it was Crawf who was replaced as captain by none other than Vandenberg.... who retired before him anyway!
Thats just a ridiculous comment. Crawf stepped aside from the captaincy. The club decided to go with Vanders because the next group of leaders weren't quite ready. Vanders did a great job as captain despite not being the most talented footballer. Buckley - skills better, Crawf - running machine. At the end of the day Buckley was the master of getting 30+ possesions in losing teams. Sad, but true. There were many footballers better than Micheal Tuck, but he has 7 premierships and any AFL player would give up everything to finish with that. Also, does Crawf score points for durability?? He has managed to still be playing.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I will take that as a joke, please be a joke :p

Ill stand by the first line, but the second one was mischief ;-)

For reference.

Pies
B: Harold Rumney - Jack Regan - Syd Coventry
HB: Billy Picken - Albert Collier - Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett - Bob Rose - Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill - Murray Weideman - Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne - Gordon Coventry - Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson - Des Tuddenham - Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw - Wayne Richardson - Marcus Whelan - Gavin Brown

Hawks
B Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Albert Mills
HB Col Austen - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C Robert Dipierdomenico - Jim Bohan - Brendan Edwards
HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton - Gary Buckenara
F Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - John Platten
R Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
INTERCHANGE: Chris Langford, Ian Law, Roy Simmonds, Paul Salmon

I'd back the Hawks there head-to-head. Would not be able to contain that forward line.

* Note that earlier posters are wrong.. Crawf isnt on the bench.

That is a mighty forward line but obviously debating over fantasy teams that span decades is stupid. A lot of our players came from our glory days which was the 20's & 30's and i dont think many people here would be able to remember those days (unfortunatly for pie fans).

Although you probably havent heard that much about those players, the fact that syd coventry is in the back pocket sums up how good a team it was. He was a brownlow medalist, dual b&f winner and captain of our four premierships in a row and just snuck onto the field!

By the way, the fact that Buckley made the team of the century after just seven years at the club and before his brownlow medal shows how brilliant he was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

buckley for me

this doesnt mean crawf is miles behind. its weird how crawf was never considered with the big 3 in voss hird and bucks.

i think the only reason you can give as to why he wasnt placed in that group is he didnt seem to win a game off his own boot and turn a match like those 3 did. he like harvey had the ability to run all day and that was their strength imo.

On the field Buckley shades Crawf but not by a big margin.
Only relevant point when comparing players is their ability and performance on the field......and even most hawks supporters rank bucks as the better footballer
Crawf gets a few points for playing his career at one club plus inspiring the Hawks to win a Premiership.
nothing to do with who the better player is......using ur logic does it mean that Rob Harvey becomes a lessor player because he couldn't "inspire" the saints to the flag?
Most of the Hawk players were quoted as saying " we did it for Crawf "
good on em.....

Buckley, but he isn't the smartest cookie.
Left the Lions to play in finals. hahaha
Obviously you aren't even in the cookie jar.
Bucks left the Dismal Bears not the Lions and he was always destined for Collingwood as he wanted to be in the Footy State not the Sunshine State from the word go.I believe it was part of the original deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley V Crawford

Remove this Banner Ad

Back