Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Add in cost on footy dept and facilities vs the clubs he suggested were crying poor.

Maybe he should let the dogs use the westpac centre on Tuesdays

What exactly are the rules regarding 3rd party deals? Ireland said on 360 that deals had already been worked out for Buddy, in so many words.

Just curious, has a key player ever walked out on his club days after winning a flag??

Some have left after losing finals (Ablett for example), but have we ever seen a player just walk to another club so soon after winning a flag?

A bloke won four flags in a row and walked the day after they won their fourth. Was also a year after he won a Brownlow.

Paying 100% of the cap instead of 95% for a start

Promotional appearance funds $5,000 per week on the footy show

Sideline gigs in the age or herald sun for 'ghost written' articles.

Public appearance monies

or lock in D, none of the above Eddie

Goodes does more ads and TV than Cloke, and good on him

To all the Sydney fans bleating about how much the money is needed to keep Sydney strong, I always thought the mythical "Bloods" culture wasnt anything to do with money, it was about team spirit. Therefore wouldnt you succeed no matter who is on your list or who isnt, or do you get a nice feeling ripping teams off while at the same time paying your loyal players less then they deserve?
Sydney would succeed even after losing COLA, that much is a certainty, a winning culture is not built on money is it?

The other thing in all this is the behaviour of Franklin and his management.

The 9 year deal is there to stymie Hawks from matching the offer - in doing so he has cut his old club adrift and totally weakened any compensation they could get from the deal. Its a dog act and another example of players being poorly advised by their managers. Hawk fans have every right to despise Franklin after this and I'm sure Buddy wouldn't want it to have ended this way unless he is more selfish than first thought.

I'd say Buddy keeping the whole thing secret helped us focused and winning the cup. Our season was not derailed as much as Geelong 2010 with Ablett.

No but it's enough to price them out of every other clubs range.

Tippett is a 500k player getting 800k

Buddy is an 800k player getting 1.2mil.

Without cola you can't pay these two enough to join a new team.

That's a good point, but that's a matter of prioritisation. Sydney are also letting go (presumably) a lot of veterans, or a few. There will be room left for more... perhaps an extra 900k and whatever else. In other words, I think Sydney would still be able to manage this without the COLA... the difference would be fewer players replacing retiring players.

Sydney may have been able to price them out of opposition price ranges, but this has more to do which how they prioritise the playing group as opposed to other clubs. This is how Sydney wants to roll, and so it's their lower ranked/payed players and more recruits that will benefit, or not, as the COLA is really needed for them in the city of Sydney.

Just curious, has a key player ever walked out on his club days after winning a flag??

Some have left after losing finals (Ablett for example), but have we ever seen a player just walk to another club so soon after winning a flag?

With his contract, a 9 year ambassador role in the cross. effectively retired on a high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good chuckle at Eddie Mac on 360 going on about wanting a level playing field.

No worries Ed next year the Pies play 11 home games at the MCG, ANZAC day is totally random, wouldn't want one team to have an unfair advantage over any other now would we Ed?

How many home games do Collingwood play at the MCG now? This year we played 9 with two home games at docklands against the Saints and bulldogs which turns out to be their home ground. So we would be happy to have 11 home games there next year thanks.

Eddie whinging about third party deals. Cloke's Channel 9 contract for 5 years ring any bell's Ed you hypocrite.

What exactly are the rules regarding 3rd party deals? Ireland said on 360 that deals had already been worked out for Buddy, in so many words

By all accounts Ablett stitched up his deal with GC just days after winning the flag with us. Remember when the port guys busted him up there with all the GC officials. :(

The more I think about it the shadier and dirtier it gets.. And then realisation sets in.

The gloves are off now, welcome to the new world of AFL.

The bottom clubs will foster talent, the top clubs will raid it. This is the tip of the iceberg. Dirty money will rule the game. Get used to it, it is here to stay. EPL style the same clubs will dominate, and that will be whichever clubs the powers that be chooses at that particular moment in time.

This will be remembered as a watershed moment in our game where it turned for the worse, or caught up with the times depending on your point of view or who you follow.. and perhaps maybe just the point where everyone surely now realises it.

Equalisation is the stuff of fairy tales fellow trendsetters. Who can get the most coin, or can get you the most coin or has the most coin wins this war baby!

Do you understand what equalisation means

Yes, but the complaints people are making against the Magpies are not examples of things being unequal. They're simply examples of a club using their success, money earned and contacts to their advantage.

You also assume just because McGuire is President of my club that I automatically agree 100% with everything he says re: Sydney too...

So the Magpies should feel guilty for being successful, and using the club's success and connections to the advantage of their players. Right.

??? Weird comment. So, it is OK for Collingwood to use "connections" to pay players out of the salary cap, but it is not OK for Sydney to have a COLA??

Neither is OK IMO. 3rd party agreements need to be stopped. Any needs to be at complete arm's length and all should be subjected to a separate cap.

??? Weird comment. So, it is OK for Collingwood to use "connections" to pay players out of the salary cap, but it is not OK for Sydney to have a COLA??

Neither is OK IMO. 3rd party agreements need to be stopped. Any needs to be at complete arm's length and all should be subjected to a separate cap.

I haven't commented on the Sydney COLA in this thread. You assume just because McGuire is President of my club that I automatically agree 100% with everything he says re: Sydney...

Like it or not for a national competition to work there needs to be a strong team in Sydney. This is a great move by the swannies. They cannot afford to rebuild, the supporters won't turn up to games if they get flogged playing youngsters. If the AFL somehow helped the deal get over line so what. The competition isn't even and never will be no matter how much people whinge about it. Quite simple, if you don't like it stop watching the game. This is a deal that has to happen. A strong Sydney for the next 10 years is a good thing. Trust me.

Done, have/will stop watching/supporting/paying. - AFL can stick the comp where the sun does not shine - GAME OVER- Vale AFL.

Yes, but the complaints people are making against the Magpies are not examples of things being unequal. They're simply examples of a club using their success, money earned and contacts to their advantage.

You also assume just because McGuire is President of my club that I automatically agree 100% with everything he says re: Sydney too...

So making things unequal

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back