Buddy Out - mental health issue, says club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth is small and slow.. Very beautiful though!

On Buddy - theres going to be a lot of egg on face when the inevitable comes out regarding his drug use, it's a really sad situation but the longer the rumours last and the less we hear from Buddy the more likely outcome of drugs being the real issue starts to come to fruition.
Poor mental health often causes drug use

So it's not a major shock (if true) ....big if too

This bloke is from dowerin ...small Wheatbelt town........buddy, Liam jurrah, Harley Bennell Ashley sampi and many others experience all sorts of issues and struggles going from small communities to big cities

I work many indigenous young men as a drug alcohol cohnselllor and see what happens when many....not all though are moved to big cities and the limelight

That's my take on it

Poor mental health often causes drug use

So it's not a major shock (if true) ....big if too

This bloke is from dowerin ...small Wheatbelt town........buddy, Liam jurrah, Harley Bennell Ashley sampi and many others experience all sorts of issues and struggles going from small communities to big cities

I work many indigenous young men as a drug alcohol cohnselllor and see what happens when many....not all though are moved to big cities and the limelight

That's my take on it
Are you saying it's race related?

Perhaps insular is the right word. Probably why West Australians don't seem to understand the context surrounding racism.

Err no ....

We have a high indigenous population

A few red necks at the footy doesn't tar the whole state .......people at the footy are also often a hightened state ......

I too dislike the treatment of Goodes ....but it happened to Micky winmar, Chris Lewis and many others to cop it's

Don't tar everyone with the same brush though

Err no ....

We have a high indigenous population

A few red necks at the footy doesn't tar the whole state .......people at the footy are also often a hightened state ......

I too dislike the treatment of Goodes ....but it happened to Micky winmar, Chris Lewis and many others to cop it's

Don't tar everyone with the same brush though
Trust me - I like Perth and have great friends there.

But when Sydney is debating how to celebrate Adams final game and the decision is made that (IF) it happens in Perth, we should not risk carrying him off to resounding boos.

That is a depressing thought and an indictment of the treatment he has received over there.

i met Buddy a few years ago at a mates wedding. He came and introduced himself to myself and my wife as we were talking to other mates of his. After spending a bit of time with him it really struck me how different he is in person to what is perceived. My wife and i both commented on how it seems he has had some sort of coaching in regards to crowded social situations out of his comfort zone. in hindsight now we both believed he really does lack confidence outside of the football arena. His showmanship on the field and when he was being one of the boys i believe was a cover for how he really is. Came across as a really nice bloke and i hope he gets back on his feet and back doing what he is good at.

Last edited:

No,essentially though indigenous people are cultural different to us.....there is strong evidence to,suggest they experience what is cultural illness which essentially means they struggle when removed from their small communities and lands (I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and have attended many cultural workshops and have qualifications in Mental health)

What cultural illness looks like is mental illness ...sadness ...Drug use ....

However the difference is its root cause. Buddy struggled at Hawks too so this isn't new.

Anyways some training I attended recently by world renowned indigenous psychologist Tracey westerman sheds light on this. She has researched and currently delivers training in this area

I have done it (twice as it was so good)

https://www.psychology.org.au/publications/inpsych/cultures/

i met Buddy a few years ago at a mates wedding. He came and introduced himself to myself and his wife as we were talking to other mates of his. After spending a bit of time with him it really struck me how different he is in person to what is perceived. My wife and i both commented on how it seems he has had some sort of coaching in regards to crowded social situations out of his comfort zone. in hindsight now we both believed he really does lack confidence outside of the football arena. His showmanship on the field and when he was being one of the boys i believe was a cover for how he really is. Came across as a really nice bloke and i hope he gets back on his feet and back doing what he is good at.

His culture is different

He's from dowerin ...google it ......Its bloody small and if he was dowerin in wa around a BBQ in thongs with his people he would be different. You have to remember his up bringing to understand why people are the way they are .......and no matter what wealth and fame it doesn't change

This psychologists I have met and done training with as I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and work with many aboriginal people ......I suspect he might be experiencing what we call cultural illness

The club need to be as transparent with this as possible. "Mental health issues" just won't cut it I'm afraid.

His 'health' particulars have nothing to do with you. Its a personal matter, it involves those closest to him. It is not a public matter. Just as your health, and mine, is not a public matter.

You will just have to accept what is said by him, his manager & club officials. Whether it 'cuts it' or not is your problem, not theirs.

They will say what they feel they need to, when they decide to.

Trust me - I like Perth and have great friends there.

But when Sydney is debating how to celebrate Adams final game and the decision is made that (IF) it happens in Perth, we should not risk carrying him off to resounding boos.

That is a depressing thought and an indictment of the treatment he has received over there.

A few hundred rednecks doesn't make a state of 3-4 million racist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No,essentially though indigenous people are cultural different to us.....there is strong evidence to,suggest they experience what is cultural illness which essentially means they struggle when removed from their small communities and lands (I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and have attended many cultural workshops and have qualifications in Mental health)

What cultural illness looks like is mental illness ...sadness ...Drug use ....

However the difference is its root cause. Buddy struggled at Hawks too so this isn't new.

Anyways some training I attended recently by world renowned indigenous psychologist Tracey westerman sheds light on this. She has researched and currently delivers training in this area

I have done it (twice as it was so good)

So, you are saying it relates to race.
i have heard this before, there are football clubs that think twice about recruiting from outside footy states because of this.

I actually really like Freemantle (the place) although I am starting to dislike the supporters of the club. I just can't abide racism to the people who lived in this country for over 50,000 years.

Actually - an interesting point is that Perth was originally of interest to the East India trading company because the aboriginal communities were farming the land. That information has conveniently got lost over the years.

Maybe now that Abott has been tossed out we will start showing a bit of respect as a nation. Who knows ...
So because you know FA re history about WA Aboriginals, East India, Dirk Hartog ect you assume no one else does.
Condescending Sydneysiders really are quite pathetic.

A few hundred rednecks doesn't make a state of 3-4 million racist.

That doesn't explain the race riots we get over here....oh wait

As opposed to a culturally sensitive city like Sydney where you never get racial issues floating up....OH WAIT

Honestly. ..how any sydney local has the gall to lecture another city on racism has me stuffed.

Things have certainly heated up in this thread. :cool:
123.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy Out - mental health issue, says club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back