Buddy's developing place on the All-Time Ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, I'll bite... why so Rev08? :confused:

Matthew-Lloyd-5981393.jpg

This may seem a as a bit of a dig to the big fella, but who has kicked the most points of all time?

Most Behinds (1974-2012) Gary AblettHW/GE 690 2482.78Barry HallSK/SY/WB 421 2891.46 Jason DunstallHW 641 2692.38Saverio RoccaCW/NM 411 2571.60 Tony LockettSK/SY 590 2812.10Stewart LoeweSK 410 3211.28 Matthew RichardsonRI 551 2821.95Richard OsborneFI/SY/WB/CW 408 2831.44 Leigh MatthewsHW 537 2482.17Brendan FevolaCA/BL 402 2041.97 Stephen KernahanCA 471 2511.88Chris GrantWB 374 3411.10 Bernie QuinlanWB/FI 460 2741.68David NeitzME 368 3061.20 Wayne CareyNM/AD 457 2721.68Paul HudsonHW/WB/RI 364 2451.49 Kevin BartlettRI 453 2232.03Peter DaicosCW 363 2501.45 Matthew LloydES 424 2701.57Warren TredreaPA 362 2551.42
according to: http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players.html

Buddy's sitting on 345 as of round 6, he should be in the top 20 modern point kickers just in time for the bye ;)

edit: sorry for the messy block of text above, it deleted the formatting when i posted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is the only site i could find a list of behinds scored
That's my site, I'm only interested in stats with a game-by-game breakdown, which 1974 is the earliest I have access to.

Doug Wade kicked 1057.701, Leigh Matthews 915.722, Bernie Quinlan 817.607.

Extrapolating the partial numbers of Jack Titus, he could be the actual record holder.

Thanks for the Info.

Its a shame that Buddy is such an inaccurate kick for goal. But It reminds you that the Full Forwards of the game in the 70's and 80's and less so the 90's were genuine full forwards and incredible kicks for goal.

I knew his accuracy percentage was bad but for Richo to be a better shot at goal I was shocked.

I knew his accuracy percentage was bad but for Richo to be a better shot at goal I was shocked.

Richo was statistically more or less on par with players like Whitnall, Sumich, Chris Grant & Anthony Rocca. Yeah he was an unreliable kick, but he nailed plenty from near the boundary or outside 50. If Hawthorn ends up at the other end of the ladder, prepare for a barrage of criticism re Buddy's kicking.

FWIW the worst three G:B ratios among significant goalscorers (200+ goals) of the modern era belong to Robert Harvey, Nathan Buckley and Travis Cloke.

I feel that Buddy has a lot of shots from outside 50 and also tight to the boundary which has a lot to do with his inaccuracy. He also misses a lot of easy ones i know but perhaps he could try leading up the middle for a change

That's my site, I'm only interested in stats with a game-by-game breakdown, which 1974 is the earliest I have access to.

thanks for running the site Paul, good to see Mitchell in the top 10 of a couple of categories too :D

Its a shame that Buddy is such an inaccurate kick for goal. But It reminds you that the Full Forwards of the game in the 70's and 80's and less so the 90's were genuine full forwards and incredible kicks for goal.

not necessarily, many were mostly stay at home FF's that rarely left the 50 and clunked contested marks from siren to siren. you dont miss many kicking from the top of the goal square.

I dont understand why the coaching personnel do something about his kicking, its been like this for years, he kicked 2.11 in a game a few years ago, which is just ridiculous!

What have hawthorn staff said about this? Why wont they change it or help it!

I dont understand why the coaching personnel do something about his kicking, its been like this for years, he kicked 2.11 in a game a few years ago, which is just ridiculous!

Am sure they have.

I just wonder whether with his style, this is what you get and it is too difficult to change his style.

You get good and bad with Buddy, i just think we have to accept it.

Yep, he sure did kick 2.11, also kicked 9.2 one day, do you happen to remember that one.

Many reasons behind Buddy's 57% kicking for goal.
He has a strange kicking action, foot swings in a massive arc rather than straight, only takes a slight miss cue. They have attempted to change this, but I'm not sure if your aware how muscle memory works. Buddy had this style his whole junior career, attempting to make anything but small adjustments at this late stage (and it wasn't until 2007 there appeared to be any issue with his goal kicking) can only really lead to disaster.

This said, the other main issue is where he takes his shots from. Yes he missed a couple of set shots on the weekend, but he also missed at least 3 from the boundary that most players would struggle with. Has good weeks and bad weeks and I'm sure through out the season he'll correct from the current 19.32 to something closer to his normal rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy's developing place on the All-Time Ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back