Buddy's Goal of the Decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think it was the wrong side. Can you imagine if he was running down the other flank trying to kick that?

Hooker ain't no 100m sprinter :D

Funny you say that! I clearly remember an essendon supporter telling me Hooker was a top sprinter in his teenage years....Makes the goal all the more special ;)!

I was at the game, on the opposite flank. It was an incredible moment. The first goal was great, and i thought it would fire us up, it didnt. The second goal had a very high dgree of difficulty. Having done the exact same thing 3 minutes earlier makes it that much harder. Definatly goal of the year, goal of the decade?? not so sure.

I’m trying to remember a better goal than Buddy’s last against the Bombers.
Putting aside Club bias, which admittedly is pretty difficult, I cannot remember a better goal, for all sorts of reasons:

Degree of Difficulty 10/10
To be that hard up against the boundary line, having run 100 metres +, taking the shot running flat out, after already having a similar run only minutes before, he could not have made it any harder for himself. To use one of Jack Dyer’s lines “He was on such an acute angle the ball was in danger of wedging between the goalposts.”

State of the game 8/10
Deep into the last quarter, with his team fading against a fast finishing opposition the Hawks needed a lift and Buddy delivered big time. Let’s not forget he had been running around racking up his 26 possessions the previous three quarters, so he must have been close to exhaustion.

Style 9/10
Aside from nearly losing the ball from a wayward bounce, being able to turn his opponent, leave him for dead, and to kick with such precision while running like a gazelle was a joy to behold.

Can anybody think of a better goal in the last ten years?

Well the decade is just over half a season old so I won't disagree with you :thumbsu:;)

it was so much better live. the replays don't do it justice.

he made the goal look so easy as well, when i doubt there's another player in the comp who could have kicked those 2 goals.
Ablett, Deledio, Goodes, all capable among a dozen others. Have to agree though very special goal x 2 in the same quarter of a tense game would be a hard act to follow.

While we may have to wait a while to see whether it ends up being goal of the decade it never ceases to amaze me how petty bf posters are when acknowledging an accomplishment of a player from another club.

To date I have heard Tony Shaw, Robert Walls, BT, Luke Darcy, Gary Lyon, Dennis Commetti, Bruce McIvaney and yes I know the bias crap will come out with this one, Jason Dunstall, all say that it was the best goal they had ever seen.

For the benefit of some posters on this board with far more footy nous than any of the above I will bow to their expertise and ignore the ramblings of those above and acknowledge BF posters who know far more and accept that this goal is not even top ten let alone goal of the year. :rolleyes:

Wow how much a thread can change. The other thread many had agreed it was the best goal they had ever seen. That would constitute at least a decade.

If you want to talk about overhype, Judd's GOTY are you kidding me. Is the a sign that is Judd is overrated when you get GOtY when you take 2-3 steps and kick it 45m on 45degree angle.

The SEN commentary team were all saying they had not seen better on Friday than Buddy's, and many commentary teams said the same.

These are not biased supporters these guys are payed to call as it is.

I think the best comment was someone in another commentary box saying that Nick Maxwell was shaking his head in disbelief. That in itself says everything.

I think you had to be there to realise how good the goal was.

Season on the line, last quarter, game tightly balanced, you have run 15-20km, Franklin covered a lot of ground that game, not too mention his repeat sprints, not too mention he kicked an almost similar goal before 5 mins before.

You would of thought he would of being tired having done that against Mcveigh before. Hooker is not slow. He ran a 2.79sec for 20m. That is very quick and not only Essendon's quickest defender but probably only Winderlich is quicker. Yet at no stage did Hooker make ground. How fast must buddy be?

I can tell you that Lance Franklin did not test anywhere near that and his not as fast. Yet with the weight of the ball and having to bounce it all the way, all he could do was sprint away to the boundary, otherwise Hooker would caught him. There is no doubt that Franklin's tank has increased this year and probably the main reason he had so much more legs in the final quarter than Hooker.

The athleticism shown is what makes this remarkable. But athleticism only gets you so far in the AFL. You need to have technical ability. Of all the goals shown in the last decade that were on the run none, none were tugged right on the boundary, kicked with no break in stride and over the defender, as a dribble would not of being possible.

Mick Mcguanes goal was the best goal I had seen. It's funny how nobody brings it up.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0B1zne_OlFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0B1zne_OlFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

You know what this says? It says this forum is filled with teenagers and people have seen very little football. Most of the old timers and games greats have seen plenty more footy and they know why this particular Buddy goal was special.

Even when you compare the McGuane goal, while the McGuane goals was more brilliant in terms of beating opponents, it was not as athletic, (which is saying something), or technically difficult to kick.

Up until last week, McGuane's goal was the best. Now I'm not so sure.

Wow how much a thread can change. The other thread many had agreed it was the best goal they had ever seen. That would constitute at least a decade.

If you want to talk about overhype, Judd's GOTY are you kidding me. Is the a sign that is Judd is overrated when you get GOtY when you take 2-3 steps and kick it 45m on 45degree angle.

The SEN commentary team were all saying they had not seen better on Friday than Buddy's, and many commentary teams said the same.

These are not biased supporters these guys are payed to call as it is.

I think the best comment was someone in another commentary box saying that Nick Maxwell was shaking his head in disbelief. That in itself says everything.

I think you had to be there to realise how good the goal was.

You've brought up some very good points. I don't know if it's the best game I've seen, I wasn't there, but it was certainly extraordinary.

Your point about being there is salient though, and makes me sorry I didn't see it live. My dad went with a mate of his who happens to be an ex AFL player and former senior coach. They both said it was the best goal they'd seen. The rationale being seeing the ground Buddy covered, getting a feel for the pace he did it at, then the kick, all under the pressure of the game being in the balance.

Interestingly, his mate was a little disparaging about 'trick goals'. The freaky ones like the Lloyd goal, the bouncing efforts etc because they had an element of luck and arse about them.

Not even goal of the year, let alone of the decade.

Or week for that matter, Matty Campbells goal on saturday was better. He run further than Buddy and "PAST" five or six players and two tackles then slotted from 50.

Can't remember the year but Jeff Farmers goal againt the hawks is my personal favourite , buddys goal was amazing though.

1998 and kills Buddy's effort of the other night. Would love it if someone had this clip.

Peter Hudson said it is the best goal he's seen. He kicked a few and would have seen some good ones.
I too am astonished (some) people are trying to pass this off as nothing special.I was laughing out loud watching it on TV and showed it to my wife on youtube next day as I still couldn't believe it.
I don't believe any other play in the comp could replicate it with 10 tries at it. That is special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you freaking serious?
Have a listen to it... best goal ever? good goal, but best ever...get ya hand off it.... bloody hawthorn supporters are becoming the new collingwood supporter breed, so one eyed, it must be very embarrassing for the 'normal' hawthorn supports on here... im freaking sick of all this hawthorn ego! Shut up already.
By the way woewodins ground length running goal in bout 2000 was by far the greatest goal EVER ..... no wait it was one oft he finest moments in australian sport Ever...

Goal of the decade is a pretty subjective thing, best goal ever is going too far. Theres been so many good ones over the years.

I thinks it fair say its one of the best goals there's been in recent times where it ranks is just opinion. "But you cant say it was just a standard goal. Even Knights said it was as good a goal your likely to see.

adam yze kicked a freak goal from the boundary a few year back where he left foot banana'd it from the right pocket 45m out! near impossible to get and i have no idea why he even attempted it.

buddy's is definitely top 3 best i've ever seen though:thumbsu:

Peter Hudson said it is the best goal he's seen. He kicked a few and would have seen some good ones.
I too am astonished (some) people are trying to pass this off as nothing special.I was laughing out loud watching it on TV and showed it to my wife on youtube next day as I still couldn't believe it.
I don't believe any other play in the comp could replicate it with 10 tries at it. That is special.

Yeah it was a amazing goal, don't understand why it is so hard for posters to say that.

Are you freaking serious?
Have a listen to it... best goal ever? good goal, but best ever...get ya hand off it.... bloody hawthorn supporters are becoming the new collingwood supporter breed, so one eyed, it must be very embarrassing for the 'normal' hawthorn supports on here... im freaking sick of all this hawthorn ego! Shut up already.
By the way woewodins ground length running goal in bout 2000 was by far the greatest goal EVER ..... no wait it was one oft he finest moments in australian sport Ever...
most of the people that stated that aren't hawthorn supporters you twat

adam yze kicked a freak goal from the boundary a few year back where he left foot banana'd it from the right pocket 45m out! near impossible to get and i have no idea why he even attempted it.

buddy's is definitely top 3 best i've ever seen though:thumbsu:

If that Yze goal is as good as I remember it, then I think it has Buddy covered.

That and the Motlop checkside are both ridiculous. I don't even understand how they are physically possible!

Buddy's was pretty effin' special though.

Like McGuane's from years ago, the beauty of Buddy's goal was the previous running, then the 80 metre sprint. To be able to kick that accurately and well at top speed with tired legs, certainly beats all those snaps off one step.

Lewis kicked one from behind the point post, through one player and curved around another. Special goal, but you see 3 of those a weekend now.

Don't know and, to be honest, don't really care if it's the goal of the decade or century or whatever. Taken as a package both goals are the best goals I've personally seen live and, more importantly, both of them helped the Hawks get the four points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy's Goal of the Decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back