Building Matty's support Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Abba reported on 7 news that Matty met with Brett Montgomery in Melbourne today to sound out his interest in joining Port's coaching panel.

I like it:thumbsu:

DJ Jazzy Jasper may be about to get a real education.

How long until we announce our new assisstants?lol I really can not wait :) looking forward to some good news soon

Abba reported on 7 news that Matty met with Brett Montgomery in Melbourne today to sound out his interest in joining Port's coaching panel.

i heard that monty is no longer with carlton, and saw matty at the airport that morning :)

i wonder if monty will be any good? any idea anyone? i hope we are chasing bassett, though the reshuffle at the crows is probably to make room for him. has there been any news of bassett and where he will be going?

i heard that monty is no longer with carlton, and saw matty at the airport that morning :)

i wonder if monty will be any good? any idea anyone? i hope we are chasing bassett, though the reshuffle at the crows is probably to make room for him. has there been any news of bassett and where he will be going?

Bassett has a 3 year deal at Norwood and according to reports will honour that deal. Matt Clarke took the vacant ass coach job at the crows.

All quiet on the Western front here.

Obviously a swarm of high quality assistants banging on our door and the media to get back then?

Who do people predict? I'm going with Blade, Monty, Kingsley and ..... B Scott as head assistant/Strategist

the other day (when?) I heard Rowe on 5CC say they have Monty on the show sometime next week (when??) so maybe an announcement then one way or another.

why else would he bother talking to those two numb nuts ?

Caught a bit of Monty's chat with them, he said he hasn't had a formal interview with Port for an assistant coaching position, but did catch up with Matty over coffee on Friday.

More cRowie chat about the assistant positions this morning:

Camporeale and Montgomery are in the frame.

The other names that may be in discussions are apparently James McDonald (ex Melbourne captain) and Brad Johnson.... using his normal over dramatisation of events he concluded with a 'watch this space' trying to imply we are deep in talks with the last two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would feel better if we got any two of the names mentioned. Monty is an ex Port man but has a pretty diverse cv. It would be good considering that we already have Hocking here. Perhaps there is a ray of hope for next year.

Keep an eye on the assistant coach of the year who was interviewed by Port, and Laidley continuing on - at least from a remote location - has not been ruled out either.

The issue is always going to be luring these guys to SA. You'd think Johnson and possibly McDonald would get a gig easily in Melbourne. Monty we can play the former club card, but in his interview on 5CC last night he said he was having discussions with some Melbourne-based clubs. Campo at least is back in Adelaide.

Keep an eye on the assistant coach of the year who was interviewed by Port, and Laidley continuing on - at least from a remote location - has not been ruled out either.

The issue is always going to be luring these guys to SA. You'd think Johnson and possibly McDonald would get a gig easily in Melbourne. Monty we can play the former club card, but in his interview on 5CC last night he said he was having discussions with some Melbourne-based clubs. Campo at least is back in Adelaide.

:confused: Too hard for me today Ford. Can you give a cryptic clue like his initials......please.

As for Johnson, based on nothing other than his playing style I dont want him. Is the club trying its hardest to alienate me by talking to people like Burton and Johnson.

(Yes, I do realise that I have zero basis for my angst against people like Johnson becoming an assistant for us.sorry I am flawed and can't help it :p )

Thanks Ford, appreciate the assistance afforded to a senile old f*rt. :thumbsu:

Sounds like a positive if we do in fact lure him over. Ticks the 'experienced assistant' and 'from a top 4 program' boxes.

I wondered when they said that on Classified last night who exactly votes for the Assistant Coach is it the Head Coaches? and how do you determine the best Assistant esp. if you're at another club?

Are you hearing rumours about either of these two options ?

Good move for him to bail on Geelong when they start their downward spiral.

G Ablett leaving with just quicken the process :)
Come to Port whose shortly back on the way up!

I'd rather see assistants with experience, than players fresh out of the game in our box .....
Totally agree. We have an inexperienced head coach so we don't need players fresh out of the game with no coaching experience as his assistants.

I wondered when they said that on Classified last night who exactly votes for the Assistant Coach is it the Head Coaches? and how do you determine the best Assistant esp. if you're at another club?
Only the head coaches vote and apparently it was a 16 way tie for first place but McCartney won on a count back. :p

A bit of a nothing award really given that, as you say, a head coach can only really assess his own assistants and would not have a clue how assistants at other clubs are performing. It is purely and simply a popularity award as the majority of the criteria can only be judged by the assistant's head coach.

Assistant Coach of Year
In recognition of service to the game and to his/her Club having regard for longevity, outstanding contribution, innovation, initiative in carrying out his / her duties.

Totally agree. We have an inexperienced head coach so we don't need players fresh out of the game with no coaching experience as his assistants.

Only the head coaches vote and apparently it was a 16 way tie for first place but McCartney won on a count back. :p

A bit of a nothing award really given that, as you say, a head coach can only really assess his own assistants and would not have a clue how assistants at other clubs are performing. It is purely and simply a popularity award as the majority of the criteria can only be judged by the assistant's head coach.

Oh yeah, this year's winner, what's his name, is another luminary just like the previous winners such as ... (insert cricket sounds here).

Surely just an award to keep the natives happy and something to put in the CV.

Are you hearing rumours about either of these two options ?

Laidley staying with Port isn't a rumour. Both Primus and Rohde have publicly discussed that Laidley will apply for the Essendon job - if he misses out on that - he will either stay with us as our forward scout based in Melbourne, sit in the box for our games in Victoria and fly to Adelaide once or twice a month, or he will look at all other options re an assistant coach/strategist or admin role with a Vic based club. If he misses out on Essendon, Primus made it sound like we are at least a 50/50 chance of retaining him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Building Matty's support Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back