Bulldogs 2013 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't read past the bolded so I am sorry if you actually made any sense in your overall post............The guy from F1 is talking about a sport that has a level playing field. Sport is about level playing fields and may the best team win. This has no relevance at all to the AFL.
I actually have no idea what your point is... a) F1 is far from a level playing field, and b) his quote is not referring to sport, it's referring to a way to view things.

When you talk about "Play the Top 4 teams" and "Play the Bottom 4 teams" you have to take into account teams that finished in the Top 4/ Bottom 4 with that stat. Because obviously if you are one of those teams you can't play yourself.

But you could play West Coast (5th) or Port Adelaide (5th Bottom). Doesn't effect the Bulldogs as it turns out you don't play Port Adelaide twice - but it will effect other teams.

Interestingly though, if you looked inside the Herald Sun, they had their rankings on the fixture. With points awarded on the basis or where your opponent finished, whether it is a hostile away game, a neutral away game etc. In other words, a more in depth rating system based on opponent and location. Whilst the AFL website based theirs on the total away games etc etc. And in the end we were ranked with the 5th easiest draw. Our draw is not as hard/bad as it seems. I don't think we got screwed over on who we play. The only big negative as it has already been debated, is the financial implications of the draw.

I just had a look at our fixtures, they're actually not as bad as some people have been complaining about. The key is the first 3 games Lions, Freo and Richmond all at Etihad. If we can be 6/10 after the first 10 games leading into the bye, anything is possible in the middle of the season when we have 5 games in a row against good sides. As I said though the key is those first 3 games, they will really make or break our year.

Bringing this topic up again as the season grows closer and people start analyzing the fixture to make predictions and are starting to realize we have a very difficult draw despite the AFL saying 'bottom 4 teams will be given an easier draw'. Yet we have the 5th hardest based on 2012 results. And those with harder draws(That would be us) will be given more prime time games....we have almost the least of these games. Yea..it's ****ing bullshit and nobody seems to have noticed.

end rant.

Bringing this topic up again as the season grows closer and people start analyzing the fixture to make predictions and are starting to realize we have a very difficult draw despite the AFL saying 'bottom 4 teams will be given an easier draw'. Yet we have the 5th hardest based on 2012 results. And those with harder draws(That would be us) will be given more prime time games....we have almost the least of these games. Yea..it's ******* bullshit and nobody seems to have noticed.

end rant.

It was briefly discussed last year, particularly when Anderson (I think) said
that the bottom 4 clubs - Melbourne, GWS, GCS and Port - have been given favourable draws

At which point someone pointed out that we had finished below Port. I believe it's a massive cockup. I think Port took our place in the bottom 4 club pool when doing the fixture last year and the AFL are too embarrassed to correct the error...

On most of last years form we don't deserve prime time games, but I bet we won't get them in a few years when we do deserve them...

At which point someone pointed out that we had finished below Port. I believe it's a massive cockup. I think Port took our place in the bottom 4 club pool when doing the fixture last year and the AFL are too embarrassed to correct the error...
To be fair, Port have been down for much longer than us (5 years vs. 2) and draw lower crowds.

To be fair, Port have been down for much longer than us (5 years vs. 2) and draw lower crowds.

Agreed. I have no issue with Port getting a favourable draw, I just think they made a complete **** up when trying to work it all out and have conveniently forgotten about it....

It was briefly discussed last year, particularly when Anderson (I think) said

On most of last years form we don't deserve prime time games, but I bet we won't get them in a few years when we do deserve them...

Who pointed it out? A journalist? Someone on Bigfooty? A club official? Actually scrap that last possibility because I read Garlick's thoughts on our fixture when it came out and he didn't notice it.

It's a conspiracy. And it hurts me to use that word.

I totally except we don't don't deserve prime time games under the current EQUALIZATION SYSTEM. But we don't get an easier draw so we are NOT INCLUDED in the equalization system. We're the only team exempt from this system minus maybe Sydney and Adelaide who have very easy draws and lots of prime time games. They are the opposite to us. Ha! the reigning premiers have an easier draw than us under the system. Classic Bulldogs getting shafted.

Has anyone thought of the ramifications of this? In order it goes a little like this:

1. Harder draw
  2. More losses
  3. No prime time games in 2014
  4. Loss of potential members due to no prime time games and losing a lot
  5. Less money
  6. Worse team
  7. More losses
  8. No Prime time games in years beyond 2015+
It's a viscous cycle and yet NOBODY has brought it up at the club.
While Melbourne, GC and GWS and the team that finished above us PORT get:
  1. Easier draw
  2. More wins
  3. Higher chance of Prime time games
  4. Greater chance to build members because of wins and prime time games
  5. Better team
  6. More primes times games in the future
The only explanation is, and I said it on the other page is that we asked for a hard draw so we can 'tank' to get better draft picks and then in the future when where a goodish team the AFL will give us an easier draw. How likely is that? Not very but it's the only possibility I can think of. Well that, and were just the AFL's bitch.

To be honest the draw isn't what pisses me off. It's a combination of:
a) The AFL had no idea who the bottom four was. They haven't retracted the comment, they haven't said anything about it, for all intents and purposes Port finished below us. We were completely forgotten.
b) The club walked away with its tail between their legs. They said nothing. I don't expect them to kick up a huge fuss, but I'd rather, "We're disappointed by the lack of notice shown by the AFL in their recent statements blah blah blah," to, "We accept and look forward to the challenges set out by this draw blah blah blah."

To be honest the draw isn't what pisses me off. It's a combination of:
a) The AFL had no idea who the bottom four was. They haven't retracted the comment, they haven't said anything about it, for all intents and purposes Port finished below us. We were completely forgotten.
b) The club walked away with its tail between their legs. They said nothing. I don't expect them to kick up a huge fuss, but I'd rather, "We're disappointed by the lack of notice shown by the AFL in their recent statements blah blah blah," to, "We accept and look forward to the challenges set out by this draw blah blah blah."

Thank you Dannnnnnnn!

Thank you Dannnnnnnn!

Butane you will notice Dannn and I were the very first people to criticse the draw when it first come out and were not brain washed by the spin machines of the AFL or Simon Garlick for that matter.
I couldn't agree with your recent post more.
I originally said that I fear for the future of our club for all the reasons you state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who pointed it out? A journalist? Someone on Bigfooty? A club official? Actually scrap that last possibility because I read Garlick's thoughts on our fixture when it came out and he didn't notice it.

From memory it was one of the journalists, but perhaps it only happened in print, rather than at the press conference itself.

I don't disagree with your assessment by the way, but be warned of the backwash from the 'all is well and rosy' group here on BF....

Bringing this topic up again as the season grows closer and people start analyzing the fixture to make predictions and are starting to realize we have a very difficult draw despite the AFL saying 'bottom 4 teams will be given an easier draw'. Yet we have the 5th hardest based on 2012 results. And those with harder draws(That would be us) will be given more prime time games....we have almost the least of these games. Yea..it's ******* bullshit and nobody seems to have noticed.

end rant.

I remember I sent quite a few annoyed tweets out via the BF account when that was announced. It was Gill McLachlan who said the bottom four teams of GC, GWS, Melb and Port got an easier draw.

Can be found in here.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/latest-videos/media-conferences - Live: 2013 fixture

Also quoted here :

But the AFL unapologetically says it hands easier draws to bottom-four clubs.
"There is no doubt the bottom four in terms of GWS, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and Melbourne have a softer draw, but as for the rest of them I don't think so,'' McLachlan said.

Read more:http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/the-afl-says-it-did-not-set-out-to-punish-the-competitions-successful-clubs-in-2013-season-fixture/story-e6frf3e3-1226507373512#ixzz2Jc31gETc

Our club just rolled over and took that one. There is no way we didn't see this

With no positive and credible information coming from the club regarding this issue, they cannot complain if we come up with conspiracy theories. Rumour and suspicion always flourish in the absence of fact and candour. In fact the silence (when there shouldn't be a silence) helps convince us there IS something that the club and the AFL are trying to hide.

I don't know what the truth of the matter is but the thing that troubles me most - and undermines my faith in the club's administration - is the lack of any genuine and public attempt to address it.

And of course an apology from the AFL would be nice but the AFL has never been any good at admitting fault. Forget an amended fixture though. With so many commercial interests that will never happen, even the day after the fixture is made public.

It's either two things.

1. The AFL believed port finished in the bottom 4 and scheduled it accordingly. Therefore you've got to question the competencies of those involved
  2. The AFL knew what they were doing in giving the Bulldogs are harder draw and are arrogant enough to still keep the same spin that "bottom 4 clubs where assisted". Knowing the Bulldogs will keep silent and the media don't give a crap.

I remember I sent quite a few annoyed tweets out via the BF account when that was announced. It was Gill McLachlan who said the bottom four teams of GC, GWS, Melb and Port got an easier draw.

Thanks for the update and correct linking Ant_ !! The old memory ain't what it used to be....

It's either two things.

1. The AFL believed port finished in the bottom 4 and scheduled it accordingly. Therefore you've got to question the competencies of those involved
  2. The AFL knew what they were doing in giving the Bulldogs are harder draw and are arrogant enough to still keep the same spin that "bottom 4 clubs where assisted". Knowing the Bulldogs will keep silent and the media don't give a crap.
There's an old saying that I've found is usually right:

If you don't know why something happened and it's a choice between a conspiracy or incompetence ... go for incompetence every time.

In this case it would be dual incompetence - both the AFL and the WB - so maybe that reduces the likelihood slightly, but that's still where my money would be. If it really was a conspiracy surely they wouldn't be so dumb as to invite closer scrutiny by saying Port were compensated because they finished in the bottom four? (I suppose conspiracy and incompetence is a possibility!)

I have no problems with the AFL giving port the softer draw. They've been bad for a while now.

Instead of compo picks they received a soft draw.

I have no problems with the AFL giving port the softer draw. They've been bad for a while now.

In that case, Melbourne deserved to get the draw we have received, through deliberately manipulating results to gain draft picks. I suppose what some are asking is why do we deserved to get screwed by this....

Gill McLachlan is clearly an incompetent buffoon because his assertion Port was a bottom four team in 2012 is indefensible and utterly refutable by looking at the ladder. A bottom four team by definition finishes in the bottom four (they finished 2 points ahead of the fourth last placed the Bulldogs) unless he is projecting they will be bottom four in 2013.
Regardless I prefer this draw. I suspect we'll be closer to these teams at the beginning of the year than we will be in August as the age, endurance and experience factors come to the fore as the season progresses. We'll be fit and fresh, there's competition for spots and a few of our guys have to be up and about early proving points to still be there at year's end. And we'll learn a lot more about the whole team against quality opposition than we will by playing bottom 6 six teams more often.
I'd say we've got till the TV rights are up for renegotiation to right our ship so an early sorting period this season is beneficial in the long run in my view. Granted membership might suffer a bit if we're getting belted but I'm optimistic we won't early.
The team needs to welcome these challenges and rise to them rather than get caught up in a victim mentality. If we're to survive long term we simply have to overcome whatever obstacles are in front of us whether we think they're fair or not.

And if that's the case. TELL US. Don't just say 'and now the fixture is handicapped for the bottom 4...except the Dogs..nothing to see here...move along'

Mmm I can see both positive and negatives out of this mistake. Firstly we are a newcomer to the bottom part of the ladder where Port, Melbourne and of course GWS and Gold Coast are languishing. It is an easy mistake to say they are the bottom four because we have been top 4 four years.

Secondly, we need these kids to be up against good competition, to aid their development - not sideshow bobs.

Thirdly, as someone mentioned the TV rights deal will mean that we will be ok financially for years to come. It is after that where we have to worry. If we have a champion team we won't have to worry.

Lastly, draft picks. Macca said 2013 would be the last draft we will draw deeply from, so why not get experience into the kids, and pick up some decent picks at the same time.

However, I don't like the way the club seems to just roll over and take whatever is dealt out to us. We have been ripped off with the compensation picks for Ward, ripped off with our funding agreement with Ethiad, our base in the Northern Territory has been gift wrapped for Richmond.

They pour thousands of dollars into clubs in rugby heartland and ignore the fact that if we go under, the soccer floodgates will open in the western suburbs. Come on AFL give us a bit of credit and give us a break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs 2013 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back