Moved Thread Bulldogs & Kangaroos Merger - Time To Start The Negotiations

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
It was attempted many years ago and failed but right now, I believe a merger between North Melbourne & Footscray is not only warranted but has more potential to become a reality.

The Kangas have been on a lifeline for a near eternity whilst the 'Dogs just haven't been able to muster enough longterm support even though their onfield performances have been quite good.

The AFL's focus is squarely on ensuring that the Suns & the Giants are successful as soon as possible so the "old" clubs are not going to be given any favours meaning that they will have to keep living hand to mouth.

The potential playing list of the the combined clubs would be extremely competitive for a long period if managed well. Also, if two-thirds of both club's memberships stayed on with the new entity they would have a very strong number behind them too.

Don't care about the name, the jumper or any of that palava, just believe it's time for this joint venture to really take off.

Combined debt would be just a touch under what Carlton owe.

Can happen anytime, if a new team can be fielded adhoc. A merger actually makes a lot of sense to get a team in Tasmania (or wherever) as it means a lot of those players can go to the new team.

Can happen anytime, if a new team can be fielded adhoc. A merger actually makes a lot of sense to get a team in Tasmania (or wherever) as it means a lot of those players can go to the new team.

My thoughts exactly ...

There will be a surplus of players if two clubs merged so the players left over would either have to go into the draft or potentially be snaffled by an alternative new entity.

You're kidding right!! Idiot!

You wouldn't have started this thread is there wasn't a pathetic attempt at footy going on right now!

Keep your stupid uneducated ideas to yourself

It was attempted many years ago and failed but right now, I believe a merger between North Melbourne & Footscray is not only warranted but has more potential to become a reality.

The Kangas have been on a lifeline for a near eternity whilst the 'Dogs just haven't been able to muster enough longterm support even though their onfield performances have been quite good.

The AFL's focus is squarely on ensuring that the Suns & the Giants are successful as soon as possible so the "old" clubs are not going to be given any favours meaning that they will have to keep living hand to mouth.

The potential playing list of the the combined clubs would be extremely competitive for a long period if managed well. Also, if two-thirds of both club's memberships stayed on with the new entity they would have a very strong number behind them too.

Don't care about the name, the jumper or any of that palava, just believe it's time for this joint venture to really take off.

You're kidding right!! Idiot!

You wouldn't have started this thread is there wasn't a pathetic attempt at footy going on right now!

Keep your stupid uneducated ideas to yourself

Pathetic attempt at footy right now ??

I'd say one premiership in a club's lifetime is a little more than "right now".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

get ready for "poor stadium deals, equalisation of blockbuster games, clearing the debt and capping football department spending" excuses to roll out.

Thing is, both of these clubs really have been 'hanging in there' for many years even though they have been pretty good onfield.

They appear (to me anyway) to be virtually making up the numbers every year, the interstate clubs have come into the competition and had more success both on and off the field than the Kangas & Dogs have at the same time.

I actually think that would be a good idea.

Call them the Western Kangaroos

Jumper can be blue with red stripes and white pinstripes.

Make a team in Hobart.

Then in a few years after that make another team either in Perth (Perth Royal Falcons, combination of Perth, West Perth and East Perth), Launceston or Canberra.

Why not relocate Carlton?? Owe the most out of any Victorian club

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense .......

The most premierships and a huge membership base and we should move ??

If we were in the same position as the other two clubs I'd be the first to agree with you but seeing as we have been well looked after by our members plus our 'high rollers', it is not something that would be looked at in the immediate future.

West Melbourne Kangaroos.

From where I'm looking they aren't even remotely 'western'.

Good point.

I can understand why non-AFL followers assume Western Bulldogs are a West Australian team. Even I thought that when I started following AFL.

But with Western Kangaroos they can market themselves as a West Victorian team.

Maybe give them the name Western Victoria Kangaroos and build a nice stadium in Ballarat and get them to play home games there like Geelong do at Skilled.

Financial and on field success (or lack of it) is one thing. But imagine if you had to lose your footy club because a few suits got bored of watching it.

Our name saved Melbourne, Pratt saved Carlton and noone saved Fitzroy

Put yourself in their shoes

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Bulldogs & Kangaroos Merger - Time To Start The Negotiations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back