Bulldogs or Hawks, who is better in 2024 and more of a premiership threat?

Bulldogs or Hawks

• Bulldogs

Votes: 101 62.7%
  • Hawks

Votes: 60 37.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Two sides in form with very different trajectories who somehow are just outside the 8, but imo are the 3rd and 4th best in it atm: Bulldogs have been frustratingly close, but despite having never finished top 4 under Bevo have won gf win and one gf runners up appearance. Just never seem consistent enough despite their talent, but their best is still among the best. The win in Geelong against Geelong seems to have put them back in the premiership conversation, and I think if they beat Sydney they have to be considered a real flag chance.

Hawthorn are of course rebuilding faster than expected...not only might they play finals, they might go deep. For me almost beating Port in Adelaide (where the Dogs got belted) was when they really stamped themselves. I truly believe if they get into finals they could go deep. I think they're still a bit behind the Bulldogs - even if they beat the Dogs earlier this year - but in ladder position they're similar. Post the 5 game horror run their % and form has been consistently better than the Dogs.

Unbelievably I think those brown and gold buggers are a flag chance even outside the 8, but I'd say the Bulldogs are still more of a threat. Still on form they seem quite similar this year.

I actually feel both sides are defensively more sound than last year too, and both play exciting, attacking footy. The caveat is that premiership sides are defensively very solid, and they still can leak quite a bit.

Finally, I sense Sydney and Carlton are faltering a bit at the pointy end of the season. Expect them to go deep and still play a GF or PF at least, but this season has shown they're gettable.

Hawks playing the more consistent brand of cohesive football. Dogs on paper should be “better” when they’re all up and firing. Feel like Hawthorn is the more reliable side of the two.
Have the Blues even played the Hawks this year? Maybe early on, I forgot.

Would you be worried about the Dogs in finals? More than the Hawks? I can see both beating anyone on their day in finals. Crazy they're not top 8.

Have the Blues even played the Hawks this year? Maybe early on, I forgot.

Would you be worried about the Dogs in finals? More than the Hawks? I can see both beating anyone on their day in finals. Crazy they're not top 8.
Blues have them in 3 weeks at the G and their small forward line could well run rampant. Will be a very interesting game.

There’s always the talk of finals experience and Dogs have plenty of that in comparison to the younger hawk brigade. Both very capable and equally threatening on their day and both with coaches that can pull out the tricks - I’m inclined to be more worried about the Hawks.

That all said, Dogs playing the swans at the SCG and the Hawks up against a better performing Crows at AO will both be good tests

Pretty easy just break down the lines.

Midfield - Dogs
Backline - Dogs (AA CHB Lobb)
Forwards - Dogs

But in all seriousness Hawks have a better back 6 with Sicily and CJ. We have more talent on paper but Hawks are playing a good system and enjoying the way they are playing atm

Blues have them in 3 weeks at the G and their small forward line could well run rampant. Will be a very interesting game.

There’s always the talk of finals experience and Dogs have plenty of that in comparison to the younger hawk brigade. Both very capable and equally threatening on their day and both with coaches that can pull out the tricks - I’m inclined to be more worried about the Hawks.

That all said, Dogs playing the swans at the SCG and the Hawks up against a better performing Crows at AO will both be good tests

Carlton v Hawthorn will be played right at the point where the contenders are getting sharpened up for September. Carlton will be deserved favourites, but the way we perform, even in a loss, will give insight into how ready we are for finals (whether in 2024 or more likely 2025).

Carlton v Hawthorn will be played right at the point where the contenders are getting sharpened up for September. Carlton will be deserved favourites, but the way we perform, even in a loss, will give insight into how ready we are for finals (whether in 2024 or more likely 2025).
Dogs. Huge chance the Pups.

Hawks a year too early for mine.

I feel like our peak is a bit higher this year but the Hawks are way more consistent and you can trust them more from week to week.

They'd be way more dangerous with a fit Mitch Lewis sadly

Dogs. Huge chance the Pups.

Hawks a year too early for mine.

I feel the Geelong game was a preview of what would happen in an EF for us this year, so tend to agree 2025 is more likely for Hawthorn to not only move into the 8 but do more than make up the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like our peak is a bit higher this year but the Hawks are way more consistent and you can trust them more from week to week.

They'd be way more dangerous with a fit Mitch Lewis sadly

I think point for pound the bulldogs have a more naturally talented player list, especially at the elite end.

That said, I think the Hawks brand / game-plan is better executed on a weekly basis than the Dogs, which leads to the trust you talk about.

At their best I think the dogs could beat anyone, but their worst is terrible. Hawks are clearly a better team than the majority of the AFL industry gave them credit for at the start of the year (including a lot of our own fans), but aren’t yet a premiership threat IMO.

I think point for pound the bulldogs have a more naturally talented player list, especially at the elite end.

That said, I think the Hawks brand / game-plan is better executed on a weekly basis than the Dogs, which leads to the trust you talk about.

At their best I think the dogs could beat anyone, but their worst is terrible. Hawks are clearly a better team than the majority of the AFL industry gave them credit for at the start of the year (including a lot of our own fans), but aren’t yet a premiership threat IMO.
Dont agree with the more naturally Talented player list at the elite end, I think there elite end is just more experienced. 20 or so more games experience and our and our elite end talent will be scary good!

At this point, it would not shock me if it is a repeat of 2016 with Bulldogs finishing 7th and wining the Premiership against Sydney in the GF.

Massive if that happens again.
2016 a leap year, a woman on the Democratic Presidential ticket, Trump was the Republican nominee. Dogs won the flag from 7th

At this point, it would not shock me if it is a repeat of 2016 with Bulldogs finishing 7th and wining the Premiership against Sydney in the GF.

Massive if that happens again.

Different type of year. We were good all season in 2016 and beat every side except Geelong if you include finals. A few injuries cost us some games during the regular season and we ended up 7th on 15 wins which is unusually high.

The introduction of the pre finals bye is what really saved us that year. We would have been cooked without it.

This is a different season entirely. Our best looks very good but we've been prone to mysteriously dropping our bundle some games.

One good thing is we've knocked off a fair few top 8 teams so it shows we can compete if we end up making it.

There is a non 0% chance that both teams make finals and can go quite deep in it.

I think this season is arguably the best in recent memory in as much as there are currently 11 teams competing for finals and bugger all separates teams out bar maybe Sydney.

Come finals time, I think we will see Doggies well and truly in the hunt and Hawthorn either just missing out, or going in there with the mentality of it being a free swing!

Kind of interesting how both sides have followed a similar trajectory, and had a close match earlier this year. Now they sit 8th and 9th and are primed. On current form the Dogs are the best in the comp, Hawks maybe 3rd after the Lions. The question is can they maintain their form and sustain it. I think if they at least make top 8 and rest up, either could easily win it from 5 to 8. But top 4 still up for grabs, especially for the Bulldogs. After dominating the top 3 sides at their homes, it'd take a dip in form for them not to win their last 4. Hawks path is less clear, but winning 4 would not surprise me.

I say Bulldogs but wowee they under perform with their kick ass list. Most would kill for that forwardline

PS check out their percentage - they should be much higher up the ladder - we all know it. Good luck to them
If Naughton was actually accurate they'd be a 2 to 3 goal better side. With their defence sorted, inaccuracy is still an issue even now they're doing well. It was to blame for quite a few of their posses. Fix that and they look genuinely unbeatable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs or Hawks, who is better in 2024 and more of a premiership threat?

Back