Cairns AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

Have a few mates playing up there currently. Was just wondering if you could let me know the best place on the net to get some infor on the league?

Also Rob O'Bree has recently joined the Saints can anyone comment on his performances this year?

Lachlan

Rob is doing well at the saints. Played a few senior games and showed he was very capable. With the Saints getting numbers back now he is playing in the seconds but would be one of the first in line for a senior recall if needed

Port have the bye this week, one would presume they have had their MAD MONDAY. However unlike years gone there has be no news in the Cairns Post, any goss on how the boys played last Monday????

Port have the bye this week, one would presume they have had their MAD MONDAY. However unlike years gone there has be no news in the Cairns Post, any goss on how the boys played last Monday????

They must have behave themselves this year on Mad Monday far too many court appearances previous years

Most of their boys would be too young to get out and about and into trouble you would think!:)

very interesting finals week coming up with any one of the four having a chance of making the GF. Hawks having beaten Centrals this week and Saints as well could be an outside chance of making it as looks like they have come good at the right time of the year. Either way who ever it is that makes it my bet is they will be playing off against the Cutters and anyones guess as to who will actaully take home the trophy...NICE!!!!!!
Word in todays Cairns Post isnt a Crocs mad Monday but the Cobras having a few too many and giving it to each other. Oh well boys will be boys.....and with a few under their belt who can blame them with the year those fellas have had. Who knows which club is gonna be next to grace the pages of the Cairns Post. All I can say is they must have nothing else to write about.

Just an old Victorian who is looking at moving up to Cairns for a while with work and wants to be involved in a local club (non playing, more of a drinker/helper).

With all clubs within a small distance of each other and the next available AFL league miles away is there huge issues with players changing between clubs?

Is there a club up there who seems to hold onto players best without the almighty $$$$$ given to them to make them come or stay.

Just an old Victorian who is looking at moving up to Cairns for a while with work and wants to be involved in a local club (non playing, more of a drinker/helper).

With all clubs within a small distance of each other and the next available AFL league miles away is there huge issues with players changing between clubs?

Is there a club up there who seems to hold onto players best without the almighty $$$$$ given to them to make them come or stay.

The league have a points system in place, 8 points per person if you change clubs locally and are under 18 or a senior player or Reserves who had played two or more games in the upper grade the preceeding year, The clubs are enourged to use their juniors / No club may field any more than 32 points on the paddock in a game.

It comes down to loyality to stay with a club it seems players come for two years or so then go back south but all clubs have their nucleus and build on that

I'm sure any of the clubs would love to have you as a drinker / helper / volunteer to aid the over worked committes all clubs have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you guys reckon the only way Centrals can go all the way is if Barnett fires in the finals. He kicked 70 of his 116 goals against teams outside the finals and 46 against teams inside (that included 10 vs Hawks back when they were a rabble). Not knocking a guy who kicks a ton in a season but surely the stats say he needs to do more in big games, with finals as big as they come.

Do you guys reckon the only way Centrals can go all the way is if Barnett fires in the finals. He kicked 70 of his 116 goals against teams outside the finals and 46 against teams inside (that included 10 vs Hawks back when they were a rabble). Not knocking a guy who kicks a ton in a season but surely the stats say he needs to do more in big games, with finals as big as they come.

I wouldn't read into those stats too much Lachrilly, Barnett kicked 4 against the Saints a few weeks back which I guess is a small bag by his standards this season and the Dogs still had enough firepower to win. Obviously if he is kept to a small bag of goals the opposition will go a long way to defeating them, but I see it as being no different to if Walsh, McMillan & Weetra are all kept quiet on the given day.

there are still some loyals at most clubs........ trivia tidbit

Badger 10 years in the As for Hawks
Jamsey for Port
Syd and Aussie at Cobras
Jorgo at Tigers
Turner boys at Saints

may not be many but there are some. I have watched over the years and the only reason players move on to other clubs in the past is because the clubs havent looked after the local loyals. Things are a changing and with the talent coming through the juniors at the moment which club can afford not to look after these boys.

tips for finals

hawks by7 points
cutters by 4 goals

I wouldn't read into those stats too much Lachrilly, Barnett kicked 4 against the Saints a few weeks back which I guess is a small bag by his standards this season and the Dogs still had enough firepower to win. Obviously if he is kept to a small bag of goals the opposition will go a long way to defeating them, but I see it as being no different to if Walsh, McMillan & Weetra are all kept quiet on the given day.

I watched that game and from memory he didnt have a set shot at goal. So 4 goals looks a bit better than what it was. Souths have numerous goal kickers which is a big strength for them and Walsh's 9 last week would have been his best haul of the season. Multiple goal kickers win big games thats why i think Souths and Saints will be the teams to beat

Even though there was a loss on the weekend, i believe "Mr stats", that the bag of "7" is the second time that Barnett has kicked that amount of goals against that particular side. Hence, i believe he has what it takes to perform on the big stage. Naturally "captain obvious" it is harder to kick bags of goals against formidable opposition, i believe Barnett may have silenced some critics this weekend,..... Ya think!
Go Doggies! Do it "central style"!

Even though there was a loss on the weekend, i believe "Mr stats", that the bag of "7" is the second time that Barnett has kicked that amount of goals against that particular side. Hence, i believe he has what it takes to perform on the big stage. Naturally "captain obvious" it is harder to kick bags of goals against formidable opposition, i believe Barnett may have silenced some critics this weekend,..... Ya think!
having watch centrals to be the most undisiplined team in the competition over the past few years, it was shattering to see them lose to souths on saturday, they were sensational,all the players with question marks againts them were fantastic, and i have no doubt the meltdown of scoreboard and time clock contributed to there loss. hope they can regroup and through to g.f

You cant argue with stats. He kicked the majority of goals this year against poor sides with his 10 against hawks, well they were a rabble at the start of the season. Not saying his not a good player but his record this year isnt great and i see Adam Couch giving him a touch up this weekend

SJ you are the man. 4 goals down 10 mins to play. That is stuff that legends are made of. While SJ is in charge, Souths are the team to beat.

Tip for this week
Barney to beat Saints by 7 goals. Easy.

SJ you are the man. 4 goals down 10 mins to play. That is stuff that legends are made of. While SJ is in charge, Souths are the team to beat.

Tip for this week
Barney to beat Saints by 7 goals. Easy.

Im sure SJ is flattered, but from where I watched the game the players decided to pull there fingers out of there a#se, and took it upon themselves to make it happen. In saying that Centrals presure was awesome and put the cutters under the pump in that 3rd Qtr.And thanks for the stat that Barney only kicks goals against the bottom teams, shit could of sworn he had a day out on the weekend and kicked 7. What a game this week, Saints v Centrals, we have already had two ripper finals and I cant see this being any diffrent.

You cant argue with stats. He kicked the majority of goals this year against poor sides with his 10 against hawks, well they were a rabble at the start of the season. Not saying his not a good player but his record this year isnt great and i see Adam Couch giving him a touch up this weekend

Lachrilly, I definately have to support you on this one! I was watching the game against the hawks when Barnet kicked his 10 and it nearly would have been achievable for an U/16 kid that day. I do think that it is probably worth only about 70 or 80 in another other top league as he has for use of the word "sheepdogged" a few bags of around 10 against the lesser lights of the competition. I believe he cleaned up against the Crocs back in May aswell. When the Prelim Pressure is on this weekend we will see Barnetts flaws and Couchy will be sure to give him a touch up, no doubt.

Lachrilly, I definately have to support you on this one! I was watching the game against the hawks when Barnet kicked his 10 and it nearly would have been achievable for an U/16 kid that day. I do think that it is probably worth only about 70 or 80 in another other top league as he has for use of the word "sheepdogged" a few bags of around 10 against the lesser lights of the competition. I believe he cleaned up against the Crocs back in May aswell. When the Prelim Pressure is on this weekend we will see Barnetts flaws and Couchy will be sure to give him a touch up, no doubt.

You can only play against who is put in front of you. 100 goals is 100 goals and from what I can gather nobody else in the comp has been able to do it. So to all you wannabes who want to take a pot shot at a bloke who's kicked a ton get over yourself. Stinger43 how many bags of 10 have you "sheepdogged", and how many tons do you have to your name. No need replying mate, we all know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back