Cale Hooker = pick 25 + 26

Remove this Banner Ad

cash

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
'Bombers were offered selections 25 and 26 in exchange for Hooker from the West Coast.'

Interesting to see.
Plenty of people wrote Hooker of as un-tradeable spud.
Plenty of currency it seems, 2 early second rounders.
Also got some good offers for pears.
Another vindication for essendon in the Caddy saga.

It seems more likely that proves that Essendon are very stupid rather than that Hooker is very good.

Hooker turned down a three year deal in his home state and chose to stay at the bombers. Still under contract so had little to do with essendon being stupid.

Hooker turned down a three year deal in his home state and chose to stay at the bombers. Still under contract so had little to do with essendon being stupid.
If that's the way it happened then fair enough. I don't think Hooker is a spud, but if I was offered picks 25 & 26 for him I would sign it and then run away giggling like a schoolgirl.

I don't buy it. Why would Hooker hold up that deal? If the Saints wanted Brown & were prepared to give up picks 25 & 26 plus Cripps why involve or have it hinge on Hooker? Would WC not accept 2 picks plus Cripps (or even less) in a direct trade? Just seems like the reports had Saints offering way overs for Brown.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/brown-to-stay-in-west-saints-trade-cripps-20121026-28b76.html

IF CALE Hooker nodded his head, Mitch Brown might now be a St Kilda player. But the Essendon defender said no to a move to West Coast and the Eagles were not prepared to trade their contracted full-back without a replacement in store.

The Saints are understood not to have made a firm offer for Brown until the last 24 hours of the trade period when they offered Jamie Cripps and pick 25, then improved that offer at the 11th hour yesterday to Cripps and pick 16. The Saints had been prepared to trade picks 25 and 26 to Geelong for pick 16 to get the deal done.

The offer came late and West Coast did not consider it had time to execute the deal.

This perfectly illustrates why supply and demand determine the trade price of the player. It's not necessarily saying that Hooker is a better player than Kurt Tippet for example but when there is a demand for key defenders - St Kilda were after desperately and WC wanted a replacement for Brown if they were to allow to leave - the price obviously goes up when there isn't sufficient supply. The fact that Hooker and Brown are still contracted also played a part in the high price.

Or want immediate results. We all seem to be the cat and gws is pepi le peu , we are running frantically while they quietly recruit exclusively first round picks. What we (will ) have here is a reckoning.

25 + 26 for Hooker?

And people thought Dawes was over priced at pick 21.

I'm surprised Essendon didn't put more heat on Hooker and basically tell him to move on, despite being contracted.

Would have been a super deal for the Bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25 + 26 for Hooker?

And people thought Dawes was over priced at pick 21.

I'm surprised Essendon didn't put more heat on Hooker and basically tell him to move on, despite being contracted.

Would have been a super deal for the Bombers.
Unlike Dawes, Hooker actually showed he could excel in his position.

Puh-lease.

Please do send him over to Travis Cloke more often. He certainly seems to excel plenty in his position.
I recommend you watch the first 14 rounds of the season when Hooker barely got beaten, and beat players such as Petrie, Waite, Riewoldt, J.Brown and broke even with Cloke and Pavlich. Who knows, if he had played forward all season for us he probably would have kicked more goals than Dawes.

I recommend you watch the first 14 rounds of the season when Hooker barely got beaten, and beat players such as Petrie, Waite, Riewoldt, J.Brown and broke even with Cloke and Pavlich. Who knows, if he had played forward all season for us he probably would have kicked more goals than Dawes.

He will most likely be delisted or traded on the cheap next season.

Hardly worthy of a player who "excels" in his position.

He is an average footballer.

He will most likely be delisted or traded on the cheap next season.

Hardly worthy of a player who "excels" in his position.

He is an average footballer.
Do you mind justifying your statement? Hooker is a better player than Dawes, just take a look at the fact that Dawes couldn't even average a goal a game in a top 4 team playing as the second key forward. Hooker has shown that he can beat or at least break even with the leagues best forwards.

Do you mind justifying your statement? Hooker is a better player than Dawes, just take a look at the fact that Dawes couldn't even average a goal a game in a top 4 team playing as the second key forward. Hooker has shown that he can beat or at least break even with the leagues best forwards.

He can break even with the league's best forwards?

Pfft, I've seen Dawes break even with the league's best defenders too. Doesn't mean much. Also, Dawes' role was different in 2012 as he was playing a role he was not suited to.

Hooker is an ordinary footballer. There's no two ways about this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cale Hooker = pick 25 + 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Back