Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to miss this little man but wish him all the best
Sad Doctor Who GIF

Totally pumped for this one.

He'll surprise a few.

Also has one of the most memorable rookieme profiles of any player ever.

Can see what he brings to the table, but damn I wish we didn’t part with 25.

You’d want to hope his leadership next year results in a considerable up tick in wins.
I can see your point, particularly as you spend a lot of time on the draft as do a few other legends around these parts that have bemoaned using this pick on him. Reassess after the rest of the pre-draft pick trade period plays out. See what we take to the draft as a whole including what we brought in with players.

I think this guy moves the needle for us next year.

Also has one of the most memorable rookieme profiles of any player ever.

There's 2 sentences in that profile which may explain why we targeted him:

"Below the knees his hands are excellent and he doesn’t ever fumble with his pickups always clean.
When receiving a handball irrelevant of how poor the handball is, whether it’s behind him, on the ground or too far in front of him he collects it cleanly without breaking stride".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon one of the hardest things to teach young players who have dominated every team theyve played in, as ours have, is that a large part of the defensive structures are set when we actually have the footy. By the time we lose it, it's actually too late if the work hasnt been done beforehand

The problem with us in the last couple of years is that we havent been able to reliably retain possession for any length of time when we're exiting our defensive half so we just dont have the time to get those things in place.

Enter one of the best ball users and best players at retaining possession in the league. He's going to be massive for our transition game on both sides of the ball for the next 5 years.

As a bonus, hes someone, like Boomer, whose game will actually allow him to play well into his 30s i reckon.

Gut feel is we overpaid. I think he's a decent enough player and worth around pick 25 at other clubs, just to not to one still years off being top-half competitive.
Still, he's at North now, so hopefully he kicks on with a fresh start and becomes a star.

Sheezel plays HB for us - most disposals in a rookie season ever.

Fisher plays HB - averaged like 28+

McKercher plays HB - would’ve outnumbered Sheezel if he didn’t miss games.

This dude is going to rack up SO much footy and his disposal and decision making will unlock our running game exponentially.

Forget the spend, it’s a good pickup.

Tough, uses the ball extremely well and has plenty of leadership qualities.

Great pick up. 25 ends up being 30 odd with academy and father sons. Comfortable with the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back