Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure they need hiding as much as people are carrying on would suggest.

RPReplay_Final1682375125.gif

RPReplay_Final1678957065.gif

I'm guessing he says something along the lines of "get up you f***ing cheat" to Gawn

Good luck to Caleb, wish him all the best with the Roos.

His game had changed under Bevo's **masterplan (whatever the **** that was) & like a few other players were constantly played out of position.

He was pretty good on the forward line as a small defensive forward, would like to see him given a chance to find that form again. Why Bevo thought he was better used as a kickout from the backline is anyone's guess.

Good luck to Caleb, wish him all the best with the Roos.

His game had changed under Bevo's masterplan (whatever the ** that was) & like a few other players were constantly played out of position.

He was pretty good on the forward line as a small defensive forward, would like to see him given a chance to find that form again. Why Bevo thought he was better used as a kickout from the backline is anyone's guess.
Its funny you should say that. I posted a video of a compilation of (what I assume was) his first three years at WB a few pages back, and the comments it attracted were along the same lines. Showed incredibly dangerous goalsense, amazing vision and agility.

I first assumed he was going to be our half-back play maker, but maybe he'll be paired with a couple others to go forward too.

Yeah it was overs. But if you're going to spend overs at least do it on a bloke who can play, not a speculative CCJ type.

Maybe it's because I'm a fellow shortass (173cm), but I've always rated him. Smart, agile and a beautiful kick.
The biggest benefit Caleb will provide us, is freeing Colby up the ground to make a wing his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny you should say that. I posted a video of a compilation of (what I assume was) his first three years at WB a few pages back, and the comments it attracted were along the same lines. Showed incredibly dangerous goalsense, amazing vision and agility.

I first assumed he was going to be our half-back play maker, but maybe he'll be paired with a couple others to go forward too.
According to his manager he'll be playing across HB.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Heard from Darling, heard from Parker and Jacob, will we hear from Caleb Daniel?

Yeah it was overs. But if you're going to spend overs at least do it on a bloke who can play, not a speculative CCJ type.

Maybe it's because I'm a fellow shortass (173cm), but I've always rated him. Smart, agile and a beautiful kick.
The biggest benefit Caleb will provide us, is freeing Colby up the ground to make a wing his own.
The way people were carrying on about his height inspired me to research how he compares with the average Australian male.

Only about 4cm shorter than the national average, according to the ABS, for those who care.

Reckon we'll see a lot more of his profile come through the game in the next decade, what with the evolution of different roles accommodating vastly different bodytypes.

The way people were carrying on about his height inspired me to research how he compares with the average Australian male.

Only about 4cm shorter than the national average, according to the ABS, for those who care.

Reckon we'll see a lot more of his profile come through the game in the next decade, what with the evolution of different roles accommodating vastly different bodytypes.
I hope you're right. Back when I was coming through it was when the obsession with height was at its peak I reckon. So many blokes I knew under 185cm never got a crack at development pathways ahead of their less talented teammates.

Last edited:
I hope you're right. Back when I was coming through it was when the obsession with height was at its peak I reckon. So many blokes I knew under 185cm never got a crack at development pathways ahead of their talent, less talented teammates.

Personally more than happy to pay slightly overs for a bloke that made it to the elite level based purely on hard work and was gifted minimal physical attributes.
And then excelled at the top level due to his skill and ability and not his "athletic potential".
Very happy he is on board.
Reeks of shinbone

I used to work with a bloke who played a few games with Melbourne, but was a solid lifelong North supporter. He was a bit under 6'. His son was apparently a very decent player who won junior B&Fs at his club on the peninsula so the father had expected his son would be drafted, and hoped it would be to North.

But being shorter than his father meant that the young blokes never got a look in. The father was convinced that the recruiters were looking for athletes who they could teach to play football rather than footballers that may or may not be able to improve their athletic ability. And that shortarses need not apply.

Daniel seems to be an exception and good on him.

It's obvious though, that the old attitudes prevail. Barrett can take a long walk for all I care.

I used to work with a bloke who played a few games with Melbourne, but was a solid lifelong North supporter. He was a bit under 6'. His son was apparently a very decent player who won junior B&Fs at his club on the peninsula so the father had expected his son would be drafted, and hoped it would be to North.

But being shorter than his father meant that the young blokes never got a look in. The father was convinced that the recruiters were looking for athletes who they could teach to play football rather than footballers that may or may not be able to improve their athletic ability. And that shortarses need not apply.
100%. Best junior and mid I ever played with never even got a look in at rep level, while our third best ended up in all the development pathways. It became self fulfilling around that time as shorties (well even average height) weren't given an opportunity to even get into the pathway. That seems to have changed a bit now which is a good thing.

I hope he has Damo’s sliding doors pinned to his locker.
Twice in one article.

View attachment 2147022

View attachment 2147023
I doubt anyone disagrees that pick 25 is possibly steep for CD but it clearly indicates what the club is prioritizing for next season.

If the trio of CD / Parker / Darling deliver wins in most of those close games we had last season in 2025 then it is well worth cashing in picks 25 and 44.

We don't need to collect more young assets (as a priority), we need to get some wins on the board and stop being the weekly bye for other teams.

Much better highlights. What stands out is his ability to pick the ball up off his toes, he will need that skill set from some of the handball receives he’ll get

I hope he has Damo’s sliding doors pinned to his locker.
Twice in one article.

View attachment 2147022

View attachment 2147023
Quite possibly Caleb will end up being a better player for North than Smith for Geelong. Lets hope so. Would be a good one to revisit in times to come 🤔

Let's face it - not many people would think we paid about right for Caleb. Tbh I think we paid overs. But if he does what we have recruited him for then whether we traded in the 20s or 40s matters not. Up to him to justify the trade now - we know he has the ability.

You watch the tapes and are reminded that we completely lack players with his combination of decision making and kicking skills.

He doesn't panic as he sifts through the options, is very comfortable choosing a different target at the very last second and can see the weaknesses in zones.

Then with his execution, his ball drop is 10/10, very accurate, kicks with real penetration over 45 metres, disguises his intentions and can kick well on his left.

Also has that agility and speed over the first 5 metres to get out of pressure, creates a loose man and rebounds quickly.

Aside from what he'll bring in games, you hope and expect all these skills will transfer to the young guys coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back