Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

It's strange because for someone who lauds big game players such as Dustin Martin, your positive reinforcement for Rayner as a player goes against the grain.

Cameron Rayner will always be a tantalizing prospect. Nothing more than that really. Think of Jake Stringer if you will.

Insulting to stringer tbh, at least he has an AA jumper and a few 40+ goal seasons.

Danster gets a lot wrong but he’s absolutely spot on in here about Rayner - guy is one of the worst pick 1s this century.

You could've taken any one of them. Yes, as you point out it's retrospective. So yes, at the time, I'm sure the pool of pick 1 options wasn't that many. But yes, retrospectively, and hypothetically, had you have picked up any of the other 20-30 players, you'd probably have an extra flag or 2.

It’s not even that it’s retrospective - it’s that you’re living in fantasy land even suggesting it. It (picking any of those other 20-30 players you suggest) is simply not a thing that any other club would have done under any circumstance, were they to hold pick 1 that year.

The reality is that each year there is typically 1 or 2 players that would be genuinely considered with pick 1.

What I mean by that, is if you were to give any of the 18 clubs pick 1 and say “have at it”, they would all choose the same 2, maybe 3 players - in many cases, like last year, I think it would be unanimous, with all 18 choosing Harley Reid.

In Rayner’s year, I don’t think it’s an outrageous statement to say that a large number of clubs would have picked him - it may have been unanimous. I have zero recollection of the draft, but this is what Cal Twomey had to say in his phantom draft, where he had Rayner #1:

Rayner is the standout player in the pool and one who can change games in a matter of minutes, which has been why he has been touted as the likely No.1 pick for most of the year.

Pontificating about how we could have chosen a host of other players is absurdity - it’s simply not grounded in reality. It’s highly likely that every other club would’ve done the exact same thing as us.

You’d actually make a better argument saying taking Toby Wooller at 41 “cost us a flag” because Myers, Moore and Xerri ended up going in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. That obviously batshit insane, but it’s more realistic than “you should’ve taken someone else at pick 1”.

And that all said… I still have no issue with our choice. He’s still 24, just put together a good couple of months with some patches of brilliance.

Been less impactful the last two, averaging 16 disposals, 2 scoring shots, 2 clearances, 3 inside 50’s. Convert his opportunities (kicked 0.4) and it’s not bad - not brilliant, but not bad.

If these are his down weeks though, that’s okay - he’ll fire up soon enough.

It’s not even that it’s retrospective - it’s that you’re living in fantasy land even suggesting it. It (picking any of those other 20-30 players you suggest) is simply not a thing that any other club would have done under any circumstance, were they to hold pick 1 that year.

The reality is that each year there is typically 1 or 2 players that would be genuinely considered with pick 1.

What I mean by that, is if you were to give any of the 18 clubs pick 1 and say “have at it”, they would all choose the same 2, maybe 3 players - in many cases, like last year, I think it would be unanimous, with all 18 choosing Harley Reid.

In Rayner’s year, I don’t think it’s an outrageous statement to say that a large number of clubs would have picked him - it may have been unanimous. I have zero recollection of the draft, but this is what Cal Twomey had to say in his phantom draft, where he had Rayner #1:

Rayner is the standout player in the pool and one who can change games in a matter of minutes, which has been why he has been touted as the likely No.1 pick for most of the year.

Pontificating about how we could have chosen a host of other players is absurdity - it’s simply not grounded in reality. It’s highly likely that every other club would’ve done the exact same thing as us.

You’d actually make a better argument saying taking Toby Wooller at 41 “cost us a flag” because Myers, Moore and Xerri ended up going in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. That obviously batshit insane, but it’s more realistic than “you should’ve taken someone else at pick 1”.

And that all said… I still have no issue with our choice. He’s still 24, just put together a good couple of months with some patches of brilliance.

Been less impactful the last two, averaging 16 disposals, 2 scoring shots, 2 clearances, 3 inside 50’s. Convert his opportunities (kicked 0.4) and it’s not bad - not brilliant, but not bad.

If these are his down weeks though, that’s okay - he’ll fire up soon enough.
I'm agreeing with the first bit. I literally said that. I'm just saying that 'had Brisbane' (this is the hypothetical) picking any one of 30 other players they would've won 1 or maybe 2 more flags. Yes, it is highly unlikely that this would've happened as there wasn't too many players in the pick 1 conversation.

Yes, if there was a Toby Wooler thread then the argument could also be made. It's the same argument though, just different players.

There is absolutely no way in hell you're happy with picking Rayner. Not when you have about 15 players that are afl stars of the comp.

Insulting to stringer tbh, at least he has an AA jumper and a few 40+ goal seasons.

Danster gets a lot wrong but he’s absolutely spot on in here about Rayner - guy is one of the worst pick 1s this century.

Do you remember when Melbourne took Scully and Trengrove over Dusty? I remember.

Not sure of the relevance to this thread - Melbourne botched plenty of first round picks and I didn’t defend any of them.

Rayner was not a bad pick 1. Should they have gone with Brayshaw or Dow?

The travesty of that draft was Worpel at pick 45, who I thought pre draft could've been pick 1. But you know how recruiters start to get away from certain players like their a disease.

I'm agreeing with the first bit. I literally said that. I'm just saying that 'had Brisbane' (this is the hypothetical) picking any one of 30 other players they would've won 1 or maybe 2 more flags. Yes, it is highly unlikely that this would've happened as there wasn't too many players in the pick 1 conversation.

Yes, if there was a Toby Wooler thread then the argument could also be made. It's the same argument though, just different players.

There is absolutely no way in hell you're happy with picking Rayner. Not when you have about 15 players that are afl stars of the comp.

Lol, you rated Barely Avfritsch worth pick 4 in this crop 5 years AFTER the draft. You shouldn't be sitting in judgement of anybody. You should be in the room of mirrors having a long hard look at danster168.

Last edited:
When Petracca is traded to Brisbane, and Rayner is part of the package of picks and players - Danster's head will explode
Besides getting petracca that would be the ultimate reason for that trade to go through. Imagine how Danny would feel.

My spies tell me he is interested in relocating to QLD.

He wants to pay at Collingwood, but knows there is zero chance of that with his 5 year deal and their lack of picks and no players they would trade for him.

Rayner is 100% someone I would be including in return, along with 2 early picks to get Petracca if I was the Lions list manager.

Dan would be catatonic in the corner. Then when Rayner has an AA year in 2026 he will come in and tell us he knew he had it in him!

fantastic game from barely average, 9 disposals 0 goals 0 tackles, the other potato Harrison petty 9 disposals 0 goals, and the spearhead van rooyen 5 disposals 0 tackles 1 goal

every chance cam has a better game than all 3 combined

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fantastic game from barely average, 9 disposals 0 goals 0 tackles, the other potato Harrison petty 9 disposals 0 goals, and the spearhead van rooyen 5 disposals 0 tackles 1 goal

every chance cam has a better game than all 3 combined

Not one of those players is a #1 draft pick

Idris Elba Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back