Campbell Brown Fined $15,000

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what is more disturbing; the 15000 dollar fine, which is an absolute disgrace, or the fact that now thinking about it, I'm not surprised that the AFL has acted so childishly.

I can not find words to sum up how pathetic this decision is.

Lets not forgot that Judd also lied to the tribunal to get off, Brown is supposedly the victim here, that the AFL is trying protect in this incident. How on earth is Brown suddenly the victim is beyond me. 15000 dollars....!? That's half a deposit for a house. Seriously, get a clue AFL.

Brown has made a mistake in admitting he told mistruths, but 15 000 dollars is a joke.

I'm not sure what is more disturbing; the 15000 dollar fine, which is an absolute disgrace, or the fact that now thinking about it, I'm not surprised that the AFL has acted so childishly.

I can not find words to sum up how pathetic this decision is.

Lets not forgot that Judd also lied to the tribunal to get off, Brown is supposedly the victim here, that the AFL is trying protect in this incident. How on earth is Brown suddenly the victim is beyond me. 15000 dollars....!? That's half a deposit for a house. Seriously, get a clue AFL.

Brown has made a mistake in admitting he told mistruths, but 15 000 dollars is a joke.

How do you figure that out.

Facts supporting Judds defence are:
1. Video is inconclusive (as found by the tribunal and anyone with functioning eyes - no pun intended); and

2. Umpire said he had perfect view and there was no gouge; and

3. Judd who confirmed that he had no intention to gouge, no belief that he gouged and his fingers felt nothing that felt like an eye (his words); and

4 Campbell Brown said that Judd made contact only with his face.

Based on those four factors the tribunal dismissed Judds case in 12 minutes.

If you removed 4 and changed it to, yes he made contact with my eye a fact not supported by the camera, the umpire and the alleged offender, me-thinks you still dont prove the case.

Of course, this is besides the point. Regardless of the outcome of any case before any judiciary or tribunal, anyone who comes out after the event and says (accompanied by smart arse grin) in effect that "yeah, I lied but who cares cos its all a big joke" must be sanctioned. In a court of law, this sort of action would warrant imprisonment as it goes to the fabric of the system. The AFL tribunal is at times laughable but this simply damages further its integrity and the AFL has every right to fine players who damage an integral part of the game.

Of course, many on this board dont have much capacity to consider concepts such as context, jurisdiction, relative merits etc etc.

Re: Campbell Brown - Liar

$15,000 fine is way to much!

They should donate it to the eye and ear hospital!

Re: Campbell Brown - Liar

Campbell Brown is a gun and you would all want him to be wearing your colours...
Get of his back, all these jabronis carrying on should just move on and reminise of what their footy club would look like with CB playing for them!!!

How do you figure that out.

Facts supporting Judds defence are:
1. Video is inconclusive (as found by the tribunal and anyone with functioning eyes - no pun intended); and

2. Umpire said he had perfect view and there was no gouge; and

3. Judd who confirmed that he had no intention to gouge, no belief that he gouged and his fingers felt nothing that felt like an eye (his words); and

4 Campbell Brown said that Judd made contact only with his face.

Based on those four factors the tribunal dismissed Judds case in 12 minutes.

If you removed 4 and changed it to, yes he made contact with my eye a fact not supported by the camera, the umpire and the alleged offender, me-thinks you still dont prove the case.

Of course, this is besides the point. Regardless of the outcome of any case before any judiciary or tribunal, anyone who comes out after the event and says (accompanied by smart arse grin) in effect that "yeah, I lied but who cares cos its all a big joke" must be sanctioned. In a court of law, this sort of action would warrant imprisonment as it goes to the fabric of the system. The AFL tribunal is at times laughable but this simply damages further its integrity and the AFL has every right to fine players who damage an integral part of the game.

Of course, many on this board dont have much capacity to consider concepts such as context, jurisdiction, relative merits etc etc.

Your post is so hypocritical for so many different reasons I am not sure exactly how to respond to it.

Brown was helping out Judd, and you have the audacity to say that he deserved the fine; even after some of the behavior of the players on the West Coasts Eagles this season, which were astronomically worse than what Brown has done here.

Unbelievable.

Surprises how all these half wits in here jump on the bandwagon and critisise one of the most honest players in the league!!!
The guy wears his heart on his sleeve and he even said it himself on foxtel that he didnt want to see Judd go.. Doing a good deed for Judd and all the AFL fans..
This is going to fire mal's son up big time, kept brennan to 7 touches last week, wonder what he has in store for Ebert!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprises how all these half wits in here jump on the bandwagon and critisise one of the most honest players in the league!!!
The guy wears his heart on his sleeve and he even said it himself on foxtel that he didnt want to see Judd go.. Doing a good deed for Judd and all the AFL fans..
This is going to fire mal's son up big time, kept brennan to 7 touches last week, wonder what he has in store for Ebert!!!

What a numb nut..he has now destroyed the code of what happens on the grd stays on the grd by yapping his big mouth off to big note himself, "Oh what a great bloke I am to let another player off"
what an idiot, the tribunal will now have less consideration to the plea of the victim.
Stupid post Wotta.:eek:

Brown lied.

Judd defended himself.

Campbell has a big mouth and ****ed up.

Nothing to do with Judd.

Try again.

Point taken. But what about Daniel Chick's effort in LYING to try and get one of the Carr brothers (can't remember which one) charged? Subsequent video footage showed no contact whatsoever! Dog act. To my way of thinking that's an even more serious offence. Where's the fine for that?

And by the way, what have you guys done to Daniel Chick? I know he's won a flag with you guys, but he seems like a totally different person, and it ain't a change for the better. Your thoughts on HIS character?

Point taken. But what about Daniel Chick's effort in LYING to try and get one of the Carr brothers (can't remember which one) charged? Subsequent video footage showed no contact whatsoever! Dog act. To my way of thinking that's an even more serious offence. Where's the fine for that?

And by the way, what have you guys done to Daniel Chick? I know he's won a flag with you guys, but he seems like a totally different person, and it ain't a change for the better. Your thoughts on HIS character?

what did you think of my post #89?

what did you think of my post #89?

A pretty fair assessment I reckon. There was no need for Brown to mention the unmentionable, as it were. Everybody knows that players will try and help others to beat a charge. It's been going on for years, and hopefully it continues. But a $15,000 fine? C'mon!

My point is that Chick went the other way and tried to put another player in. A very low act, which is at the least punishable by a fine. Faced with a choice between the two I would take Brown's character over Chick's any day. I have no doubt that the vast majority of players would regard C. Brown's actions as more worthy of respect than Chick's.

meh, the tribunals a joke but players constantly prevaricating or not remembering or not seeing exactly what happeded doesnt really help with consistancy.
He shouldnt have opened his mouth and has copped the consequences for showboating "what a good bloke" he is and how he helped put one over the tribunal.

How idiotic is the AFL in this case. It was clear to all the Judd gouged Brown - you could see it perfectly on the video footage. What was uncertain was whether the AFL Tribunal had the guts to suspend one of the game's sacred cows for an offence that would forever tarnish his reputation. Everyone seemed relieved when Judd was found not guilty and Brown played the part expected of him by the football community. The fact that Brown ends up walking away the bad guy leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Most reasonable people would support the way Brown has handled himself both on and off the ground. As for Judd's lack of class in recognising Brown's gesture to him, or Chick's unfounded dobbing in of an opponent - this tells all supporters about the culture and values (or lack of) at the WCE.

The way I see it:

1. Judd either accidentally or on purpose (depending on which side of the fence you're on) made minor contact to Brown's face
2. Brown didn't think it was malicious or intentional and he set out to get Judd off the hook, which I'm sure he wouldn't have done if he thought that it was done on purpose or it had actually injured him.
3. Both the players were agreed and their stories were matched up with the umpire of the game as well
4. The issue was over until Brown foolishly opened it up again by saying this, which most of us knew was true anyway.
5. The fine was too harsh, but I don't see how people expect the case to be reopened based on what Brown said, and I don't see how Judd is involved in this at all anymore. Brown made a mistake and it will cost him.
6. I thought Judd was lucky to get off originally.

And anyone commenting on Chick, I heard that Haselby said something later on which confirmed that he was hit during the game, not by Carr, but the evidence that Chick presented wasn't accurate. Don't know if that is true or not.

Fair enough penalty. If the AFL didn't fine him then they may as well just scrap the tribunal altogether. Now what is Judd's penalty to be?

The fact that Brown ends up walking away the bad guy leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Brown wasn't "walking away the bad guy" at all, a lot of people on here saw that he didn't want to dob in his opponent, which most players would have done, and it could have stayed that way if he hadn't said anything more. Nothing to with the Eagles or Judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell Brown Fined $15,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back