Can Adelaide still make the 8 this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

No team is coming back from 0-5 to make the finals, which is what they'll be after they lose to the Bulldogs on Friday night.

Eagles would have a fantastic season from here to make the finals. Adelaide would have to have an matchless incomparable magnificent fantastic season from here to make the finals. They are pretty much stuffed and we are very close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they get their players back soon they definately have the team to make the 8. But if they're 0-5 after next week it might just be too hard to get the team playing well again.

Still, it's a long season. Last year we were 4-13 after 17 games and won 4 of the last 5 to finish two games outside the 8.

If they get their players back soon they definately have the team to make the 8. But if they're 0-5 after next week it might just be too hard to get the team playing well again.

Still, it's a long season. Last year we were 4-13 after 17 games and won 4 of the last 5 to finish two games outside the 8.

yeh but that was a terrible win-loss ratio for 8th last year. Essendon were like 11-1-10 or something. we're pretty ****ed. The saddest part is i'm finding it slightly amusing, kinda showin that i've already lost hope.

This is the weirdest Adelaide team I've ever seen. Today was the worst game I can remember watching from them. They missed shots on goal that would normally be gimmes, missed handballs to a team mate less than 3 meters away, poor decisions under pressure and made Carton look good.

This just isn't Adelaide. Frankly, I'd be calling the stewards in looking for a Fine Cotton ringin!

If the real Adelaide ever shows up again, then yes they will make the finals.

Our 2009 season was wrecked by injuries, especially during the pre-season and this has impacted on Adelaide this year but I don't understand how other players could lose all form and confidence so quickly. Maybe I have underestimated the damage to a club from a bad pre-season, even after having gone through last year.

I hope the Crows turn this around. It isn't pleasant watching a good side fall apart so completely.

Yes they can still make the finals. They'll beat us and it will kickstart their season. Bookmark it.

Why do you constantly talk up the Crows? They would have to win 12 out of the remaining 18 games to even make it. Games against:

Geelong, Western Bulldogs (x2), St.Kilda, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Brisbane (x2)

They won't win this week. Bookmark THAT. So even if 10 games was enough, it would be time to release another 'Winning Streak' DVD if they managed it.

They might very well beat us, but it won't kickstart their season.

Adelaide are a bottom 4 side, many of their key players are dinosaurs and their injury list looks terrible. They will have a fall from grace and they will be going through the rebuilding process over the next few seasons.

I cant see us making the finals. Loss to Carlton means we are 0-4 and there are not enough winnable (if that word exists in footy) games left.

However we will get better, even Saturday's game had glimmers of hope. We were smashed in the second quarter, yet they did not really pile the goals on. We could have got withing 19 points with about 15 minutes to if Tip converts in last quarter. Kick that gain some momentum and it is game on. Convert a few more of the early chances and the story may have been different.

We are not playing good footy, and to give goals away like we have makes it worse.

I went to both Melbourne and Carlton games and both were frustrating to watch. Could have won both of them, but lost both by reasonable margins.

As for people saying we have to rebuild and we will be suffering for a few seasons, those comments may come back to bite you. Out of our older guys the only two to be consistant AFL quality any more are Goody and Macca. Both hard to replace. However there are replacements for the rest (Doughty, Burton, Edwards). The "rebuild" wont be a long process. Heck we could cull all our over 30s (and Hentschel) now have Scott Stevens as our oldest player (28) and still field a reasonable team.

I cant see us making the finals. Loss to Carlton means we are 0-4 and there are not enough winnable (if that word exists in footy) games left.

However we will get better, even Saturday's game had glimmers of hope. We were smashed in the second quarter, yet they did not really pile the goals on. We could have got withing 19 points with about 15 minutes to if Tip converts in last quarter. Kick that gain some momentum and it is game on. Convert a few more of the early chances and the story may have been different.

We are not playing good footy, and to give goals away like we have makes it worse.

I went to both Melbourne and Carlton games and both were frustrating to watch. Could have won both of them, but lost both by reasonable margins.

As for people saying we have to rebuild and we will be suffering for a few seasons, those comments may come back to bite you. Out of our older guys the only two to be consistant AFL quality any more are Goody and Macca. Both hard to replace. However there are replacements for the rest (Doughty, Burton, Edwards). The "rebuild" wont be a long process. Heck we could cull all our over 30s (and Hentschel) now have Scott Stevens as our oldest player (28) and still field a reasonable team.

The longer the Crows fans pile expectations on the players, the harder it will be for the players to carry those expectations on their shoulders. You can bet your bottom dollar that in the back of Tippett's mind he was thinking 'Don't miss this' because he knew that the season was riding on his kick. Ditto with Burton and any number of your players that missed those gettable goals.

But the thing I want to talk about is what I've bolded. Isn't it possible that because those older players aren't so good anymore, they can't carry the rest of the team and it's the 'replacements' that are being found out?

The longer the Crows fans pile expectations on the players, the harder it will be for the players to carry those expectations on their shoulders. You can bet your bottom dollar that in the back of Tippett's mind he was thinking 'Don't miss this' because he knew that the season was riding on his kick. Ditto with Burton and any number of your players that missed those gettable goals.

But the thing I want to talk about is what I've bolded. Isn't it possible that because those older players aren't so good anymore, they can't carry the rest of the team and it's the 'replacements' that are being found out?

Tend to agree some are being found out. But who is it that is failing. The mid range players who had good years last year. They are either failing or not playing.

Also dont underestimate losing Bock Symes Stevens and Stiffy to our backline. The latter three as individuals are not stars, but are a great unit. Otten had a good year last year.

Also I dont think many AFL footballers really care what the supporters think of them. Their arrogance, most have it, makes sure of it.

Burton missed those shots because he is old and has to cover a lot of ground to get the ball. His heartrate was probably fairly high. He did not kick through the ball in any of those shots, just poked at it.

Tippett has never really been the best set shot on goal. But has gone backwards this year.

I am starting to think there is something in all the calls that AFL footballers are not spending enough time on the basic skill of set shots. The conversion has gone down across the entire AFL.

Our other big problem is the inability to make effective tackles. Which is probably a form thing. Last year we were 8th, this year last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Adelaide still make the 8 this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back