Can North upset the all conqering Cats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also noticed so far in this thread supporters of the better clubs are giving north a lot more respect than supporters of lesser clubs, expected as much... Overall thanks for the input, more realistic posts here than piss taking troll posts.

People who actually watch and understand footy, as opposed to just re-hashing tired Internet opinions, know that we've moved to rectify this, and with success.

Moving to rectify the issue does not make it disappear right away. I understand you are improving, as you should be.

However the disposal of many of your players under pressure remains a factor. Geelong are going to put plenty of pressure on, and guys like Firrito, Atley, Anthony and Cunnington aren't the best users of the footy/decision makers. Even Hansen, if he plays, can be a turnover merchant.

Lack of pace and finesse is what ulitmately cost you games last year, and against Essendon.

To ignore it is to put your head in the sand. Bzaroo's spit about "lesser clubs" illustrates the kind of response he wants in this thread. Yet another "Please rate us" effort.

lol

I am hoping we come out of this game still wearing our pants.

Primary Objective: Don't get humiliated.
Secondary Objective: Be competitive
Tertiary Objective: Win if we are close enough

I am hoping there isn't a daylight between the objectives but the only one I am expecting is to achieve the primary objective, if we can't then I don't think we have improved enough.

You can't really have high expectations given we have been flogged by most of the flag fancies the last few years.

They have a better chance than a Jobe-less Essendon did last year when they played them, but still pretty close to zero I suspect.

We can talk about North's youth and Geelong's matured champion side all we like but the real question is, can North actually match up on Geelong? The answer, probably not.

North will have to man up on Hawkins, Pods, Johnson and Bartel (who has been pushing closer to goal every year now) in the forward line and I just can't see them managing all three (especially Hawkins and Pods.)

Petrie is a gun but Lonergan and Taylor have proven themselves more than capable and without a super strong forward line on the opposing team Scarlett won't be missed as much.

In the middle you have the advantage in the ruck, but our mids still outclass in both top-end and depth. Selwood, Bartel, Chapman, Corey, Kelly, Christensen, Duncan and co. are just a class above you guys.

Next year, maybe, not this year.

I dont think we can, I really hope so, have a defeatist feeling towards it already but I'm really looking forward to it

Lack of pace and finesse is what ulitmately cost you games last year, and against Essendon.

It was our increased pace and finesse that let us almost snatch it against Essendon.

What cost us against them was being down two key defenders and our best big midfielder.

After an opinion from the outside...

Geelong coming off a hard fought win with 6 day break.
North coming off training drill with 7 day break.

Jack Ziebell returns to go head to head with tough nut Joel Selwood.

@ Etihad Stadium not Skilled for the first time in years...

Possible upset on the cards... (I hope!)

To answer the question, of course they can. Every game's different.

After an opinion from the outside...

Geelong coming off a hard fought win with 6 day break.
North coming off training drill with 7 day break.

Jack Ziebell returns to go head to head with tough nut Joel Selwood.

@ Etihad Stadium not Skilled for the first time in years...

Possible upset on the cards... (I hope!)
why would you even ask?................not gonna happen floggo, take the missus away for the weekend, or do something youve always wanted to do. Geelong have the bye this week!

gotta love North supporters. Every year they pop up with child-like enthusiasm after some meaningless victory or performance.

Jack Ziebell? Who cares.

No chance in hell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was our increased pace and finesse that let us almost snatch it against Essendon.

What cost us against them was being down two key defenders and our best big midfielder.

You were of course very conveniently the only team in that game with injury concerns...

Bad kicking can be classified as bad football, definitely, but 14.20 also speaks volumes and so does the 4 points in the bank.

Yes, they can win.

Geelong will most likely bring in Horlin-Smith and rotate Orren Stephensen into the mixture. Along with Smedts, Motlop, Guthrie and developing players like West, Duncan and Christensen that is a high proportion of inexperience which leaves us vulnerable at times as obviously consistency hasn't quite been developed.

I would say we would still be raging favourites, but I think people need to get a grip on what the cats objectives are this year as Scott has made his intentions of preparing for 2014/15 a priority as distinct from going with our best most experienced 22 week in week out....we will be inconsistent at times as a result.

gotta love North supporters. Every year they pop up with child-like enthusiasm after some meaningless victory or performance.

Jack Ziebell? Who cares.

No chance in hell.

Umm you are generalising just because 1 poster stirs up the main board a bit..

I think most of us are fairly realistic about this weekend actually. A 3-5 goal loss and competitive performance to about 3 quarter time and we will have done well is the general consensus. Anything more is an added bonus.

Yes, they can win.

Geelong will most likely bring in Horlin-Smith and rotate Orren Stephensen into the mixture. Along with Smedts, Motlop, Guthrie and developing players like West, Duncan and Christensen that is a high proportion of inexperience which leaves us vulnerable at times as obviously consistency hasn't quite been developed.

I would say we would still be raging favourites, but I think people need to get a grip on what the cats objectives are this year as Scott has made his intentions of preparing for 2014/15 a priority as distinct from going with our best most experienced 22 week in week out....we will be inconsistent at times as a result.

Well said Gaz. :thumbsu:

That is in no way to demean Geelong and you won't be the only team to be outdone at times, for the sake of building towards the end game.

And what would have cost Essendon is all those behinds in the last.

When North kicked 2.8 in the last and Richmond beat them in 2011, that is all we heard about. Yet they only lost to essendon because they were down three players?

Bottom line...

Geelong are comfortably the better side, so the result is a win to the Cats unless they 'don't turn up', so to speak. From here the margin depends on the intensity both sides bring to the game. I'd say if both teams played their best football, Geelong would win by 5-7 goals.

Cats by 8 goals. Kangaroos are still classes below. Last week was a training drill and a poor lead up to a game against a quality outfit.

God no.

When was the last time North near a top 4 team? They are usually non-competitive to the point of embarrassment.

Last year we lost to WCE in WA by 4 points and lead the Hawks at the 28 min mark of the last quarter. It is not like it has been 10 years of not getting near the good sides. Only the Cats at Skilled and the Pies got a hold of us last year.

The line at 32 points is correct. Things go our way we could get closer - Cats play near there best we will get well beaten again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back