Can the E-Girls get up this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
OTHER TEAMS???? As if!!
I'm not saying this because I'm a Freo lad but a lot of pundits are tipping the E-Girls to get there again and I don't think they can.

They have a powerful midfield and thats about it, they really should have boulstered their forward line which it looks like they haven't.

Tipping them for grand finalists this year is really drawing a long bow!!

dasler said:
West Coast to beat Geelong in this years grand final

Do really have that much confidence in them? Their performance last year was an anomily, I don't think they can jag it again.

spitlizard said:
Do really have that much confidence in them? Their performance last year was an anomily, I don't think they can jag it again.

To 'jag' something makes it a one off, you can jag a win over a better side. You cannot 'jag' making a grandfinal, alot of wins and ability needed to get that far.

Having said that, I think you will find alot of WC fans are alittle sceptical of us going all the way next year. By no means certainties at all. I will be happy to make the top 4 and see from there.

theorangeapple said:
To 'jag' something makes it a one off, you can jag a win over a better side. You cannot 'jag' making a grandfinal, alot of wins and ability needed to get that far.

Having said that, I think you will find alot of WC fans are alittle sceptical of us going all the way next year. By no means certainties at all. I will be happy to make the top 4 and see from there.

Great point Orange, However I think it will be hard for you guys to kick winning scores this year.

Phil Matera was a great goal sneak and will be sorely missed. The E-Girls (sorry call them that out of habit) are and have been a brilliant team but I just think that forward depth will challenge them this year. Saying that if they do get into the four, I will definately get on my knees and bow to the King Woosha for his achievements.

i think they will make 4th, out of the fact that no one else outside St Kilda, Geelong or Adelaide look like top 4 material.....

i think they will get the ball into the forward line often enough (due to their GUN midfield) but will lack the firepower to kick a massive score

their only chance is if their defence steps up to the plate and is very strong this year and holds their opposition to 10 goals or so a match (much like Adelaide last year, not the greatest attack, but kicked more than their opposition thanks to their stingy defence)

how is their defence?

Lynch can only really go up

Staker is looking really good on a HF flank, looks to have finaly found his position (his biggest problem last year, always being moved around) and looks like he might kick a few

Judd will kick twice as many goals (kicked like 15.25 last year, definetly not like him) and has really improved his marking which was a big weakpoint for him (if he has one)

Embley averaged about 1.3 goals a game and if he can stay fit for the year he could kick 40+

Will have Waters back by about R6 and his contested marking could really add something to the forward line

have more of the players going over that 60 game mark and with a full finals campaign under their belts they should have another crack at top 4

what happens in finals is completly unpredictable (just look at adelaide in the finals, great in the H/A but crap in the important stuff)

Hey Ripper, you still living in Meeka?

Spent some quality time there myself.

Do yourself a favour and get up to the coast if you can, say Hedland or Karratha; bloody lovely, mint fishing!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a false belief that the eagles only strength is the midfield. People forget we have a very strong ruck division, a very good back line, and a good half forward line. Our only real weakness is FF, and even then it is widely believed amongst eagles fans that it has more to do with our coaches tactics than the quality of players.

Eagles should make the top 4 in 2006.

daddy_4_eyes said:
There's a false belief that the eagles only strength is the midfield. People forget we have a very strong ruck division, a very good back line, and a good half forward line. Our only real weakness is FF, and even then it is widely believed amongst eagles fans that it has more to do with our coaches tactics than the quality of players.

Eagles should make the top 4 in 2006.

All I can say is you guys need to fill some glaring discrepanies!!!

daddy_4_eyes said:
What "discrepanies" would that be?

Or do you mean deficiencies?

Talking of glaring discrepancies

That would the difference between Freo and WCE's in there abilities to make the finals in there respective histories :D

Bestbird said:
Talking of glaring discrepancies

That would the difference between Freo and WCE's in there abilities to make the finals in there respective histories :D
Good point, Bestbird!!!!:D

Can Sookmantle get up this year? Doubt it. :D

The only real "dificiencies" that the Eagles have seem to be up forward. Ruck division is top class, as is the midfield. Defence is also pretty good. We need to find someone to stand up and kick goals on a regular basis; preferably a tall forward !

While it would be great to have a dominant forward, we still made the Grand Final last season.
There were 14 other teams who didnt make the grand final and the majority of them had key forwards who kick plently of goals and win games for their respective teams.
While it would be nice if a Lynch, Staker etc, stand up and have a very good season, it does not mean we cant make the GF again if we share the goal kicking like last season.

RIPPER_46 said:
No Kasey Green = No E-girls.

Bit of a worry though that the only WC player to do well in the WAFL today was Le Cras, who is a GOP at best.

I think we only had 5 players playing this week in the WAFL.

2 of them first year players.

It amazes me that people keep saying Joey Matera retiring will have a big impact on our forward line... IIRC, he was injured for most of last season, and we still made the Grand Final. I think his retirement may be overexaggerated by some...

McDougallcankick5 said:
While it would be great to have a dominant forward, we still made the Grand Final last season.
There were 14 other teams who didnt make the grand final and the majority of them had key forwards who kick plently of goals and win games for their respective teams.
While it would be nice if a Lynch, Staker etc, stand up and have a very good season, it does not mean we cant make the GF again if we share the goal kicking like last season.

The Eagles away record is the problem and why you guys need a decent key forward. It seems that you need someone in the forward line in order to win in Melbourne, you guys failed to win in Melbourne from about round 15 onwards. Combine this with the fact that you were very lucky to win your first final, and a string of home games got you into the GF which you then proceeded to lose adds up to the fact that the Eagles still have problems playing in Melbourne. Look at who you beat in Melbourne last year, none were outstanding teams, the only 2 decent teams were the Roos (who are solid but not great) and Melbourne (a running team after a 5 day break). Eagles won't win a flag until they can win good games in Melbourne.

Personally I think this has a lot to do with the fact that they play at Subi, a huge ground and far bigger than most Vic grounds. Subi gives a huge home ground advantage, but creates headaches for when you travel as the same gameplans don't work.

spitlizard said:

There's a lovely little motherhood statement for you - "their performance last year was an anomaly". Why do you say that? What are you basing that view on? The Eagles have had an uncomfortable start to the year off-field, but write them off at your peril. Their midfield is the best bar none and with Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Fletcher serving it up on a platter ordinary forwards can still produce.

I agree they could do with a reliable forward target and it may yet bring them undone, but I would not be writing them off at this stage. Its interesting that Adelaide are all the rage at the moment, yet on paper, their forward line is a worry too. There certainly aren't any superstars there but they have been kicking good scores in the pre-season because of the dominance of their runners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the E-Girls get up this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back