Can this team beat Brisbane? Yes or No?

Remove this Banner Ad

In a nutshell if youd rather brennan than ashcroft as i would (for sheer exhilaration alone) one could say Brisbane will no doubt be stroger this year despite what people say.

Originally posted by sadako1999
In a nutshell if youd rather brennan than ashcroft as i would (for sheer exhilaration alone) one could say Brisbane will no doubt be stroger this year despite what people say.
Agree. It is mere wishful thinking for collingwood supporters to suggest that the Lions have an aging list thus they will struggle.
Logic indicates otherwise.
In team sports a players' peak years are 24 - 28. The Brisbane list has a number of quality players in this category and a perfect balance of youth getting the experience and the games under a winning culture.
IMHO the Lions will be stronger this year. The hunger for success is greater. Only one player of note lost from the list. Ashcroft due to injury.
The injury ravaged year of 2003 to key players surely will not be repeated again this season.
Last year Keating, Brown, Lepitch, The Scott Bros. Akker, Lappin, Voss all played a reduced part in the success of the season due to persistent injuries. This pre season gives an indication that Keating is focusing on his best season, Lappin is about to hit his prime, Akker is injury free for the first time in three years and has had an uninterrupted pre season and Brown gives all indications that he is about to emerge from the shadows of being "potentially" the best CHF to proving he is the the BEST.

It appears that the Lions have unearthed another three quality youngsters to add to the formidable list already. Brennan is an obvious potential gem. However the emergence of Corrie and Pratt has the Lion fans drooling at the riches available for the future. These youngsters appear to have the potential for rising to the top ranks not just your average good player. To get three in two years will ease the impact next year when Lynch, Pike, Mcray,Heart and maybe White retire.

The question can the Collingwood team listed, defeat the Brisbane Lions team? The answer is yes. On any given day any team can be beaten. However to do it consistently and in matches that mater than unfortunately for the pie supporters that answer is a definite No. As the statistics prove.last 20 meetings between the two clubs is heavily scewed in the Lions' favour.

So in summation The Lions will be stronger this year. Can they win their fourth straight. All things being equal the answer is yes they have the personnel to do it. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. As we know anything can happen during the season.

Can Collingwood win the premiership this year. Yes they can but there are another six teams with potential to also do it. It will be an interesting year. It could be a historic year for one of the two teams in this thread.

Have been informed that Tas is actually a Kangaroos supporter, so I feel obliged to partially retract my previous statement. Personally I don't think Brisbane play a boring style of football, and I don't think there are many people that do, but as a Roo it certainly gives you more license to criticise teams for being "boring", as the Kangaroos are one of the most entertaining teams in the competition.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Opposition supporters: Remember, this is a Collingwood Board - so you are supposed to treat COLLINGWOOD with some respect.

Collingwood supporters: Please try and ignore such obvious baiting. Surely if I can ignore criticism of the Magnificent Nath, you can all ignore it too (because there is no way it affects you as much as it does me!!! You all know how much I love him!)

Everyone: Stop trying to evade the swear filter. It is there for a reason. If you continue to try and evade it, you run the risk of being suspended as it is against BigFooty rules.

can collingwood beat brizzy in a grandfinal

who bloody cares,you wont make another granny,you had your chance, chances..!! and choked again good old wobbles forever..

your tears of heartache were my tears of joy...hahahahaha!!!

buckleys brownlow was a charity , eddie is the biggest co#k suc#er on the planet,rocca is a rock ape, tarrent should have hung his boots while he was keen to do it,now he's just embarresing himself, cloke deserved to miss the granny,so did rocca, malthouse is an arrogant poo puncher and balm looks like he lives on red wine..

the only granny you have one in the last umpteeen years came from a hawk...it will be your last aswell...

Originally posted by kristin5
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Opposition supporters: Remember, this is a Collingwood Board - so you are supposed to treat COLLINGWOOD with some respect.

Collingwood supporters: Please try and ignore such obvious baiting. Surely if I can ignore criticism of the Magnificent Nath, you can all ignore it too (because there is no way it affects you as much as it does me!!! You all know how much I love him!)

Everyone: Stop trying to evade the swear filter. It is there for a reason. If you continue to try and evade it, you run the risk of being suspended as it is against BigFooty rules.
Orright boss if you say so. I was just giving my opinion is all. Fair to say this thread was livened up a bit by a bit of outside intervention in any case. Anywayz looking forward to Easter Thursday again (and Rounds 1 and 2 of course!), hopefully it'll be a ripper.

Im happy for anyones opinions and pardon my cynicism but if you dont barrack for brisbane then it may not really matter a whole lot in the end what anyone else says...

Originally posted by rchowell
I want to preface my post with a couple of things. One - I was directed to this thread from the Brisbane board (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101724&goto=nextnewest). Two - I think Brisbane are going to really struggle this year. Everybody forgets that they were 6th with just a couple of rounds to go last year, and it's not going to be any easier this year. By the same token, I think Collingwood will go well. Everybody forgets that they were favourites going into the Grand Final - which implies they were doing something right. The Grand Final was one bad day after a number of good ones throughout the season. Sure, the wrong day to have a bad game but in March 2004 it's hardly anything to be slitting wrists over. Indeed, it wasn't the first time Collingwood was well beaten last year.

Having said all that I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see what a load of rubbish your "Boring as hell to watch but very effective" really is. I don't know what team you have been watching the last 3 years. Maybe you prefer rugby league. What is more astonishing is that such a comment comes from a Collingwood supporter! Somebody who barracks for one of the most boring teams in the competition playing under King Of The Boring himself Mick Malthouse. Collingwood may very well win the premiership this year, but there is little doubt it will be a lot less entertaining than the last 3.

You are barking up the wrong tree, I am a kangaroo supporter and I try and be unbiased even with the judgement of my own team.

Want me to define boring? Flooding the defensive 50 with so many players that the game resembles a little league game with everyone on one side of the ground.

it is not very original, Pagan did that at North aswell and yeah, I yawned through many a dull game towards the end. I rather see us lose games with a bunch of kids relying on their skills than watch us play that sterile football by trying to choke the opposition out of any opportunity just through sheer numbers in defense.

Brisbane floods all the time against good opposition. Hey, they are great at it and at the moment it is effective but it is as boring as hell to watch. Why do you think so many players get disposals in the defensive 50 with a brownlow medal midfield? ;)

Do I like Rugby? Hmmm, its okay but its too stop start for my liking. ;) I will watch us play Brisbane because I hope we beat you but Brisbane is the only team in the competition I do not enjoy watching neutral matches. Which is really sad because you have really good players, just play a boring style of football when faced with a good team.

A Brisbane vs say Bulldogs game is more often than not more interesting because your team is less likely to flood against a team you expect to beat easily.

Anyway, it is my opinion so the care factor is minimal if you agree with my reasons or not. You have your opinion and I have mine. I am not the one-eyed Collingwood supporter you thought I was. Hell, I love it when we beat Collingwood more than any other team. ;)

Fair enough sport. If you look back up this thread you'll notice I made a post acknowledging you weren't the Collingwood supporter I thought you were. I checked your profile and when there wasn't a team listed there I just assumed you barracked for the Pies. I guess the thing we have to remember with flooding is ok, it might look a bit boring, but gee it looks great on the rebound. Watching the Lions stream down the ground in waves en route to goal (this is fully fit of course - we didn't see it a lot last year) has been one of the highlights of the last few seasons for me. It reminds me of the way a rugby team moves down the field.

I must comment on your Brisbane v Bulldogs statement. I have to admit that last year when the Lions beat them up at the 'Gabba, I almost fell asleep halfway through the 3rd quarter! Actually come to think of it, I really enjoyed the Bulldogs v Essendon game in 2000 (the one Essendon lost) and have it on video. And I've never seen the infamous St Kilda v Sydney game but I have to say I'd like to see it - call it morbid fascination if you like!

Having said that I think the best games are when two sides go one on one all over the ground with the intention of creating physical contest after physical contest. All within the rules of course. Sadly, those sorts of games are the exception these days. Anyway, each to their own!

B: B.Johnson S.Prestigiacomo S.Wakelin.
ff: c.mcrae. a.lynch. b.caracella

HB: J.Clement J.Cloke R.Lonie.
hf: d.white j.brown l.power

C: S.Woewodin S.Obree T.Lockyer.
c: s.hart n.lappin j.akermanis.

HF: N.Buckley A.Rocca B.Holland.
hb: b.scott j.leppitsch c.scott.

FF:A.Didak C.Tarrant L.Davis.
fb:m.pike m.michael c.johnson

R: J.Fraser S.Burns P.Licuria
r: c.keating m.voss* s.black

INT:R.Shaw R.Cole T.Walker T.Davidson
int: t.notting d.bradshaw j.charman j.brennan

EMERG: M.Lokan M.Mcgough A.Williams
emerg: a.mcgrath* b.mcdonald r.copeland a shattock

Even with voss out for a while the answer would most probably be NO. Can anyone offer me any hope any logic or reasons as to how this team can beat brisbanes in a grand final?

In all honesty NO it is going to take a MIGHTY effort from any AFL side to beat Brisbane in 2004

apart from lockyer our team to play the dos looks almost at full strength. Its amazing how good it looks with Richards and Davidson in the 22. Finally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tonites result was not unexpected despite our injuries. One on one all over the ground they are better. You know whats going to happen b4 it does...akermanis and co dont even look sometimes when they get the ball in the centre and b4 you know it lynch is lining up again. Deadly effeciency and no weaknesses. Any highlights...Richards is playing...thats about it. If anyone can offer me any hope Im still willing to listen!!!

What a pack of un-educated,drug dealing ,criminal element
white trash ass-holes you and your club are

I's all over for you pricks.LMAOOOOO.

You're finally starting to play within yourselves.

Originally posted by oxx
What a pack of un-educated,drug dealing ,criminal element
white trash ass-holes you and your club are

I's all over for you pricks.LMAOOOOO.

So the educated hyphenate the word "uneducated" then? :D

I always get a laugh out of the fact that so many of the people who accuse Collingwood supporters of being feral, illiterate bogans can barely string a sentence together themselves. You're a classic example. :cool:

thought id dig this up as we just saw what the lions can do last nite with 6 or so top liners still out.

Richards has been the highlight as some of us hoped he would.

If we sneak into the 8 does anyone still think we can beat the lions if we even get the opportunity? Im still looking for hope!

thought id dig this up as we just saw what the lions can do last nite with 6 or so top liners still out.

Richards has been the highlight as some of us hoped he would.

If we sneak into the 8 does anyone still think we can beat the lions if we even get the opportunity? Im still looking for hope!

Sorry to Say, But a Collingwood side will not beat brisbane for atleast two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can this team beat Brisbane? Yes or No?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back