Can We Pull A Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

I sincerely hope Melbourne stick around and improve over the next few years. I genuinely do. I can sympathice given the tough few years my club has endured.

In saying that, Port were poorly led for a few years with a seemingly inept coach and a makeshift coaching panel (i.e. Laidely's Skype sessions). We also had players who were mentally weak, and some that needed to be moved on - who eventually were. However, we did somewhat recruit well in recent years. I think this is in stark contrast to Melbourne with your poor drafting/recruiting which is well documented. You'll hope your board (who I don't know if the majority of you wish were cleaned out ala Port Adelaide style) will make the right decisions off-field, and over the next few years clear the deadwood from your list. Unfortunately it can't happen in just the one season, but with good drafting, trading, and retaining of players that WANT to stick through the current hard times, you'll be pushing for the 8 in no time :thumbsu:.

I seriously don't think it's unrealistic to expect we could get Adams mate. If our coaching staff situation is as strong as it looks like it could be at the end of this year, I'd reckon we'd have a decent pitch to make to good mids out there.

We haven't signed anybody yet. I'm sure you've been perusing news / message boards etc as long as I have - until someone signs on the dotted line and hold a press conference, I don't really care what the rumours and innuendo are. It's all shit until something actually happens.

I remember when I first started following websites about premier league transfer rumours. Thought my club were on the verge of signing about 4 "world class" players every week... same thing next week, same thing the following week, etc etc. Eventually you think the only reason journalists occasionally get a transfer right is because they've thrown so many darts at the board a few had to stick eventually.

Ahh.. it was good to watch the Wash Up on the afl website with 2 of the biggest flogs, sh!t canning our list.. Especially when both of them predicting we are going to get worse next year... Geez.. Can we get worse!!

I sincerely hope Melbourne stick around and improve over the next few years. I genuinely do. I can sympathice given the tough few years my club has endured.

In saying that, Port were poorly led for a few years with a seemingly inept coach and a makeshift coaching panel (i.e. Laidely's Skype sessions). We also had players who were mentally weak, and some that needed to be moved on - who eventually were. However, we did somewhat recruit well in recent years. I think this is in stark contrast to Melbourne with your poor drafting/recruiting which is well documented. You'll hope your board (who I don't know if the majority of you wish were cleaned out ala Port Adelaide style) will make the right decisions off-field, and over the next few years clear the deadwood from your list. Unfortunately it can't happen in just the one season, but with good drafting, trading, and retaining of players that WANT to stick through the current hard times, you'll be pushing for the 8 in no time :thumbsu:.

In your opinion - How much of an influence was your new fitness guy ( sorry cant remember his name - ex English Premier league bloke ) you looked top shelf fitness wise running over the top of teams early in the season. Sadly, we where one of them. I heard in the pre-season nearly every club chased him with some huge offers, but you blokes won the day think because he was an ex-SA person and wanted to return home.

In your opinion - How much of an influence was your new fitness guy ( sorry cant remember his name - ex English Premier league bloke ) you looked top shelf fitness wise running over the top of teams early in the season. Sadly, we where one of them. I heard in the pre-season nearly every club chased him with some huge offers, but you blokes won the day think because he was an ex-SA person and wanted to return home.

We have Misson.. and he looks like his running partner is Choco Williams!!!

We have Misson.. and he looks like his running partner is Choco Williams!!!

Mission is top quality. But dont think you could buy the experience the Port bloke ( sorry forgot his name ) has from the EPL for 10 times what Port got him for.

Now just for the record no way I would want to lose Mission but would love to have had the money to add the Port bloke to our footy department.

Mission is top quality. But dont think you could buy the experience the Port bloke ( sorry forgot his name ) has from the EPL for 10 times what Port got him for.

Now just for the record no way I would want to lose Mission but would love to have had the money to add the Port bloke to our footy department.
Darren Burgess

Ahh.. it was good to watch the Wash Up on the afl website with 2 of the biggest flogs, sh!t canning our list.. Especially when both of them predicting we are going to get worse next year... Geez.. Can we get worse!!

Simply put: yes. It's not impossible that we could get much worse. Luckily, it's not also out of the realm of possibilities we could pull 'a Port' and become overnight successes too. However, I don't think that is very likely, considering our midfield depth (or lack thereof), and I believe improvement should be taken with baby steps.

Strauss has the height to take a rucking contest if need be, granted he's certainly not specifically a ruckman.

I'm the only one up, and I just blurted out 'what the ****' out loud at the breakfast table.

I'm 183cm and even though It's not the AFL, I've out rucked guys at 6'6"+ with much bigger builds. Depends on the rucking style, and body position.

I'm not saying he'd be our go to guy, far from it.

LOL.......you've out done yourself now!

I think most of us a re been realistic with where we are at and where we can get too.

The main difference between us and Port is there midfield, they had two very good players in Boakd and Brad Ebert, who have stepped up again this year. Kane Cornes is a club legend and very good AFL player, not to mention the training standards he would set, then throw in two young guns in Wines and Wingard and there mid field is looking good. Not to mention they managed to get themselves super fit in one pre season.

Compare this to us, depsite 5 years of development we are as fit as a local footy team, out midfield is the worst ever to play the game. Jones is AFL standard, Viney is showing signs he will be. Sylvia has the talent but not the consistency. Grimes looks better across half back, Trengove's body is shot. The toump needs more time. It looks promising on paper, but we are really a way off being competitive.

Forwards and backs are more promising, but we need to a strong mid field, to a) stop so much ball getting into the backline and b)get more footy into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Hell, Clark was convinced by the Neeld coaching staff to come play for us (and our insane $$$) so we're in with a shot. However in that situation it was really only us vs Freo and we had a better pick and better dollars to offer. Not sure we'll be able to pull both those off this time. $ yes, but we are even more of a rabble now than after 2011 and we won't have a suitable pick to trade unless we get one from Watts leaving, for example.
We were in a much better state then. Two seasons of 8 & 1/2 wins with a young list full of potential. Now we are an ordinary list coming of two less than 4 win seasons

ok so at the start of this thread, I asked for people to add something constructive or just don't bother posting. So I'd like to thank all those that have added 1 liners that actually add nothing to the conversation for being the blind morons you are. move along and pull your heads out of your arses.

I can see Melbourne Improve next season. Not like Port did this season. I wouldn't be surprised If Melbourne got 6-9 wins in 2014. That would still be a good improvement compare to the past 2-3 seasons.

I reckon if Viney and Toumpas significantly improve next season and the demons get a wines or even a good Mature aged mid like how Freo got Barlow in 2009, the demons will improve.

One last thing... I dont know if there are many decent players out of contract next season. But I know there are some decent mids that are out of contract at the end of 2014. Boak and Mundy come to mind for a start.
I took a look at the FA list provided above, and I couldn't see anyone I'd really go out on a limb to get. This was mostly due to age or injury issues that I think could come back and bite us on the arse. I reckon you're right - we need to look at uncontracted players.

ok so at the start of this thread, I asked for people to add something constructive or just don't bother posting. So I'd like to thank all those that have added 1 liners that actually add nothing to the conversation for being the blind morons you are. move along and pull your heads out of your arses.

When you come out with utterly ridiculous statements such as Struass can ruck then what do you expect.

Back on topic....from the article in the herald yesterday.....very thin list.

MOST RECENT FULL FREE AGENCY LIST
ADELAIDE
Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted) MIGHT BE MOVED ON
Scott Thompson (restricted) WILL RE-SIGN

BRISBANE
Simon Black (unrestricted) RETIRE?
Jonathan Brown (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL

CARLTON
Eddie Betts (restricted) COULD GO TO NORTH MELBOURNE
Heath Scotland (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL

COLLINGWOOD
Alan Didak (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Nick Maxwell (restricted) ALL BUT AGREED TO TERMS
Dale Thomas (restricted) BLUES ARE KEEN AS MUSTARD

ESSENDON
Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted) WILL SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
David Hille (unrestricted) WILL RETIRE
Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Jason Winderlich (unrestricted) WILL RE-SIGN

GEELONG
Paul Chapman (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Joel Corey (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Corey Enright (unrestricted) SHOULD DEFINITELY PLAY ON
Josh Hunt (unrestricted) NOT SURE. A 1-YEAR DEAL?
Mathew Stokes (unrestricted) HAS AGREED TO TERMS

HAWTHORN
Max Bailey (unrestricted) WILL RE-SIGN
Xavier Ellis (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Lance Franklin (restricted) THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT IN THE GAME
Brent Guerra (unrestricted) WILL STAY
Michael Osborne (unrestricted) MIGHT RETIRE

MELBOURNE
Aaron Davey (restricted) HAS RETIRED
Colin Sylvia (unrestricted) HAS SUITORS IF HE WANTS TO GO

NORTH MELBOURNE
Michael Firrito (unrestricted) HASN'T BEEN OFFERED CONTRACT

PORT ADELAIDE
Brett Ebert (unrestricted) HAS RETIRED
Tom Logan (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Matt Thomas (unrestricted) NOT SURE

RICHMOND
Luke McGuane (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Shane Tuck (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Matthew White (unrestricted) SHOULD RE-SIGN GIVEN FORM

ST KILDA
Jason Blake (unrestricted) RETIRING
Nick Dal Santo (restricted) HAS A CLAUSE IN CONTRACT TO PLAY ON
Lenny Hayes (unrestricted) HAS RE-SIGNED
Justin Koschitzke (unrestricted) RETIRING
Stephen Milne (unrestricted) RETIRING

SYDNEY
Jude Bolton (unrestricted) RETIRING

WEST COAST
Dean Cox (unrestricted) WILL SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Andrew Embley (unrestricted) GONE
Darren Glass (unrestricted) WILL SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Mark Nicoski (unrestricted) RETIRED
Adam Selwood (unrestricted) RETIRED

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Dylan Addison (unrestricted) SHOULD SIGN ANOTHER DEAL.
Adam Cooney (restricted) JUST RE-SIGNED
Daniel Cross (unrestricted) WILL MOVE ON OR RETIRE
Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted) COULD GET ONE MORE YEAR
Dale Morris (restricted) HAS RE-SIGNED

When you come out with utterly ridiculous statements such as Struass can ruck then what do you expect.

I expect you to follow the topic guidelines like I asked at the start. Is that too hard to comprehend? Is it too difficult to just talk about the conversation rather than making smart arse remarks? Like I said, if you've got nothing constructive to add, just don't bother posting - Simple.

But to pin point your little addition, you went out of your way to have a crack in a post, then post again on the actual topic. You sir, are either blind, stupid or lazy, and your contribution to this thread is not wanted.

I expect you to follow the topic guidelines like I asked at the start. Is that too hard to comprehend? Is it too difficult to just talk about the conversation rather than making smart arse remarks? Like I said, if you've got nothing constructive to add, just don't bother posting - Simple.

But to pin point your little addition, you went out of your way to have a crack in a post, then post again on the actual topic. You sir, are either blind, stupid or lazy, and your contribution to this thread is not wanted.

Haha give it a spell mate you have made the most stupid claims i have ever seen on any football thread.

Nev jetta can be better than Riloil
Rivers to play midfield becuase he moves like Dal Santo
And now struass to ruck based purely on the fact that he is 183cm and no other explanation.....ohhhh that's right becuase you are the same height and have done it.

Who is blind, stupid now?

I am done with this......one thing we agree on is to get back on topic.

Back on topic....from the article in the herald yesterday.....very thin list.

MOST RECENT FULL FREE AGENCY LIST
ADELAIDE
Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted) MIGHT BE MOVED ON
Scott Thompson (restricted) WILL RE-SIGN
BRISBANE
Simon Black (unrestricted) RETIRE?
Jonathan Brown (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
CARLTON
Eddie Betts (restricted) COULD GO TO NORTH MELBOURNE
Heath Scotland (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
COLLINGWOOD
Alan Didak (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Nick Maxwell (restricted) ALL BUT AGREED TO TERMS
Dale Thomas (restricted) BLUES ARE KEEN AS MUSTARD
ESSENDON
Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted) WILL SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
David Hille (unrestricted) WILL RETIRE
Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Jason Winderlich (unrestricted) WILL RE-SIGN
GEELONG
Paul Chapman (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Joel Corey (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Corey Enright (unrestricted) SHOULD DEFINITELY PLAY ON
Josh Hunt (unrestricted) NOT SURE. A 1-YEAR DEAL?
Mathew Stokes (unrestricted) HAS AGREED TO TERMS
HAWTHORN
Max Bailey (unrestricted) WILL RE-SIGN
Xavier Ellis (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Lance Franklin (restricted) THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT IN THE GAME
Brent Guerra (unrestricted) WILL STAY
Michael Osborne (unrestricted) MIGHT RETIRE
MELBOURNE
Aaron Davey (restricted) HAS RETIRED
Colin Sylvia (unrestricted) HAS SUITORS IF HE WANTS TO GO
NORTH MELBOURNE
Michael Firrito (unrestricted) HASN'T BEEN OFFERED CONTRACT
PORT ADELAIDE
Brett Ebert (unrestricted) HAS RETIRED
Tom Logan (unrestricted) NOT SURE
Matt Thomas (unrestricted) NOT SURE
RICHMOND
Luke McGuane (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Shane Tuck (unrestricted) RETIRE OR SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Matthew White (unrestricted) SHOULD RE-SIGN GIVEN FORM
ST KILDA
Jason Blake (unrestricted) RETIRING
Nick Dal Santo (restricted) HAS A CLAUSE IN CONTRACT TO PLAY ON
Lenny Hayes (unrestricted) HAS RE-SIGNED
Justin Koschitzke (unrestricted) RETIRING
Stephen Milne (unrestricted) RETIRING
SYDNEY
Jude Bolton (unrestricted) RETIRING
WEST COAST
Dean Cox (unrestricted) WILL SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Andrew Embley (unrestricted) GONE
Darren Glass (unrestricted) WILL SIGN A 1-YEAR DEAL
Mark Nicoski (unrestricted) RETIRED
Adam Selwood (unrestricted) RETIRED
WESTERN BULLDOGS
Dylan Addison (unrestricted) SHOULD SIGN ANOTHER DEAL.
Adam Cooney (restricted) JUST RE-SIGNED
Daniel Cross (unrestricted) WILL MOVE ON OR RETIRE
Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted) COULD GET ONE MORE YEAR
Dale Morris (restricted) HAS RE-SIGNED

Nothing overly inspiring on that list - not that we'd be capable of attracting anyway

Who was our last star?...dunno.....Byron The Pickett maybe?......Davey about ten years ago? It's been pretty much slim pickings for the past 5 years I reckon. no Real A graders during that period.

Yeah I hear you say Jamar and Frawley made All Oz.

Big Deal. in my humble opinion, these two "stars" have always been overrated. Frawley can,t even kick properly and I can,t remember the last time Jamar took 5 marks in a game.

So 2014'...I think we can seriously only challenge one team again...that mighty team called GWS...and maybe fluke a win here and there depending on if the opposing team takes us lightly on the day...( read Footscray )

My tip for 2014 is 2 wins....maybe....depends on of we play GWS twice....and even then we are even money to beat them.

We are shit.

That is all.

Who was our last star?...dunno.....Byron The Pickett maybe?......Davey about ten years ago? It's been pretty much slim pickings for the past 5 years I reckon. no Real A graders during that period.

Yeah I hear you say Jamar and Frawley made All Oz.

Big Deal. in my humble opinion, these two "stars" have always been overrated. Frawley can,t even kick properly and I can,t remember the last time Jamar took 5 marks in a game.

So 2014'...I think we can seriously only challenge one team again...that mighty team called GWS...and maybe fluke a win here and there depending on if the opposing team takes us lightly on the day...( read Footscray )

My tip for 2014 is 2 wins....maybe....depends on of we play GWS twice....and even then we are even money to beat them.

We are shit.

That is all.
um mitch clark and nathan jones and can prob add in chris dawes, in fact mark jamar can play when fit... people need to chill

Remove this Banner Ad

Can We Pull A Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back