Can we stop comparing Shaun Atley to Judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2007
Mitchum
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers,Rams,Dodgers,ManU
If he was Judd like he'd be considered for the number 1 pick. Whilst I like the kids confidence comparing himself to Judd he's not an inside player at this stage. Very good player and possible top ten choice no doubt but until he starts extracting the ball from stoppages on a more regular basis I'm calling him an outside mid or flanker.

give the kid a brake, nearly all the kids in the draft are comparing themselves to stars, its the way they think they play, these kids have to sell themselves to clubs its not like their gonna say they are henry slattery, i personally think atley plays like hayes but with speed.

I can see some similarities. I think he is very inside. He is the same height (189cm) has a 'burst' of speed and was third in the repeat sprints. Also not the best kick but good enough. He can win the ball and run out of a pack. I remember the game against WA he had something like 9 hardball gets.

If he was Judd like he'd be considered for the number 1 pick. Whilst I like the kids confidence comparing himself to Judd he's not an inside player at this stage. Very good player and possible top ten choice no doubt but until he starts extracting the ball from stoppages on a more regular basis I'm calling him an outside mid or flanker.

Have you actually watched him play? The way he extracts the ball and then excellerates out of packs is very Judd like. Doesn't mean he will be as good as Judd.

The kid will be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet Judd wasn't a number 1 pick himself, go figure.
A) Judd would have been the #1 pick if he didn't have serious queries over his recently reconstructed shoulders at the time. Atley has no such concerns, so if he was like Judd, then he would be the #1 pick.

The thing that's ridiculous is that the guy that was such a runaway favourite for the #1 pick that he was pre-listed a year in advance isn't being compared to anyone great. Maybe we should start comparing David Swallow to Gary Ablett Jr?

B) "Lenny Hayes but with speed" would be miles better than Judd. Breakaway pace is the ONLY thing Chris Judd has over Lenny Hayes. If Hayes had that same pace, plus the same tenacity with his head over the ball, and his defensive intensity, he'd be the best midfielder any of us had ever seen.

Just because kid plays like an elite afl player doesnt mean people are saying they are going to be as good just that his style of play is most comparable to that.

.....Genius op :rolleyes:

haha exactly...

btw OP he IS an inside midfielder.... every expert description of him calls him a INSIDE mid.... i'm not sure how you came to the conclusion he isn't? by watching his highlight package??

:rolleyes:

A) Judd would have been the #1 pick if he didn't have serious queries over his recently reconstructed shoulders at the time. Atley has no such concerns, so if he was like Judd, then he would be the #1 pick.

The thing that's ridiculous is that the guy that was such a runaway favourite for the #1 pick that he was pre-listed a year in advance isn't being compared to anyone great. Maybe we should start comparing David Swallow to Gary Ablett Jr?

B) "Lenny Hayes but with speed" would be miles better than Judd. Breakaway pace is the ONLY thing Chris Judd has over Lenny Hayes. If Hayes had that same pace, plus the same tenacity with his head over the ball, and his defensive intensity, he'd be the best midfielder any of us had ever seen.

:eek::eek: but... but.... Dane Swan???? :eek::eek:

David Swallow has been roundly compared to Joel Selwood (except with more flair and goalkicking nous).... where have you been hiding??

again you have to get over this idea that comparing their playing styles equates to comparing their ability... it's fair to say that Andrew Swallow plays a bit like Hayes, but he is not yet up to Hayes' ability (he will reach it IMO)...

:eek::eek: but... but.... Dane Swan???? :eek::eek:

David Swallow has been roundly compared to Joel Selwood (except with more flair and goalkicking nous).... where have you been hiding??

again you have to get over this idea that comparing their playing styles equates to comparing their ability... it's fair to say that Andrew Swallow plays a bit like Hayes, but he is not yet up to Hayes' ability (he will reach it IMO)...
Exceptional off-topic and disrespectful posting :thumbsu:

I don't have to "get over" that idea at all - There are DOZENS of players who play in any given style in the AFL, and to compare a draftee to one who is VASTLY out of their range in terms of talent is a lazy and ineffective comparison.

As I said earlier, while you could say that in comparing style (disregarding talent) you COULD compare him to Judd, someone like Morabito is a better comparison because not only is he less inside than Judd, which compares better with Atley, but he's somewhat more in the achievable talent range, making the comparison better.

Judd is a lazy, overused comparison of how a player plays anyway - It's as though if any player ever uses pace to run away from a pack with the ball then they're automatically compared to Judd, as though Judd is the first and only player ever capable of doing that.

As for comparing David Swallow to Joel Selwood but with more flair and goalkicking nous... That's barely a comparison at all. That's like me comparing someone to Mark LeCras but if he was a 193cm key defender. You can't just add attributes that are the weakest point of another player's game... Essentially any top midfielder is two major attributes away from being compared to any other.

Swallow has been compared to Selwood by knight, and Simon Black by another, Black is good enough for mine, to be compared to a norm smith winner, brownlow winner, 3 time flag winner is high praise indeed.

I don't mind draftees being compared to players. People have got to remember that just because someone says "ooh this guy plays like Judd" doesn't mean they think he'll play as good as him, only like him. You certainly can play like a person just not as good as him. It's simply a handy point of reference/comparison/illustration which is handy for people like me who know little about the players. Conca is kinda like a Tyson Edwards/James Kelly utility player, to me it's much more clear what he's like now, and a much better description instead of shooting off the usual adjectives (clean hands, burst of speed, covers the ground well etc) that get thrown about in describing draftees.

Comparing players to current AFL players is a means to discuss their playing style or potential playing style.

I don't think anyone has actually been under the illusion of Atley being the prospect Judd was when he was 18......were they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we stop comparing Shaun Atley to Judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back