Canberra offer more money

Remove this Banner Ad

The Zebra

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Jun 29, 2004
Hung Like a Horse
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The article claims the ACT Govt's new offer is 'significantly more' than the $210K per game we currently receive. What's significantly more - an extra $50K per game?

We would've been lucky to have had 5,000 punters supporting us at that game today. Unless the ACT can top the Southport offer (double what they're currently paying us), I can't see us extending the deal.

Poor attendances against the current flag favourites on a perfect day for footy such as today, only hurts the brand.

Unless there's a major personality clash occurring in the next month or 2, I'd put money on it, that we'll take the money and run.

I loved Canberra for years.

But now it seems pretty clear that it's a dead end.

If we sign up to Canberra this time around for more, then next time when there is no competition, we will get close to jack.

We should play on the GC, even if they dont offer us as much.

• Banned
Fire said:
I loved Canberra for years.

But now it seems pretty clear that it's a dead end.

If we sign up to Canberra this time around for more, then next time when there is no competition, we will get close to jack.

We should play on the GC, even if they dont offer us as much.

No we shouldn't.

Going to the Gold Coast puts us in a vulnerable position in terms of relocation in a few years.

We should use Canberra to buy us three more years, continue promotion in the area and try to develop further income streams outside of football that would possibly leave us in a position where we don't need to sell any games.

Avoid Cararra like you would Wendy Harmer.

The Zebra said:
Going to the Gold Coast puts us in a vulnerable position in terms of relocation in a few years.

IMO - Going to the Gold Coast also buys us 3 years. Plus double the money for the same arrangement.

If we (the club) get their ******** together, we would be in a stronger position. If we don't, then yes, we would be one step closer to a relocation.

If we stay in Canberra - I can only see us going backwards and being more vulnerable.

Avoid Canberra like Andrew Bolt or a card carrying member of the Young Liberals I say.;)

• Banned
Lidge said:
IMO - Going to the Gold Coast also buys us 3 years. Plus double the money for the same arrangement.

If we (the club) get their ******** together, we would be in a stronger position. If we don't, then yes, we would be one step closer to a relocation.

If we stay in Canberra - I can only see us going backwards and being more vulnerable.

Avoid Canberra like Andrew Bolt or a card carrying member of the Young Liberals I say.;)

Butif we are in Canberra (where they will never relocate a team) it makes the decision harder for the AFL to relocate us to Carrara. They will have no idea how we are going to be accepted, whether they will be pouring money into a bad business move, etc. And if someone else like the Bulldogs or Melbourne take the games up there - we move further away from the relocation spotlight.

If on the other hand we are in Carrara, and god forbid we get some big crowds or establish some kind of presence over the next few years and we are still reliant on the CBF.......relocation is a formality.

Lidge said:
The article claims the ACT Govt's new offer is 'significantly more' than the $210K per game we currently receive. What's significantly more - an extra $50K per game?

We would've been lucky to have had 5,000 punters supporting us at that game today. Unless the ACT can top the Southport offer (double what they're currently paying us), I can't see us extending the deal.

Poor attendances against the current flag favourites on a perfect day for footy such as today, only hurts the brand.

Unless there's a major personality clash occurring in the next month or 2, I'd put money on it, that we'll take the money and run.

It was 9,500 punters - more than went to Carrara last week.

Its an interesting question.

I've been to a couple of Canberra games and they are great. Plenty of local publicity but lets face it - they rarely get big crowds. At least Melbourne members can travel to Canberra far more cheaply than the Gold Coast.

But this is mainly an issue of $$$$s and best overall offer wins. I don't think local attendances are particularly important.

I would love to see the club putting more pressure on the AFL to assure free to air coverage of the games.

I am confident that the club will make the best decision - just hope it is quick so that the whole Gold Coast Kangas bit disappears, at least for a little while.

The invisible mullet said:
It was 9,500 punters - more than went to Carrara last week.

True. But I'd say there were as many Eagles supporters at the ground as we had. High percentage of neutrals from what the TV coverage looked like, and especially the noise coming through the idiot box anyway.

Lidge said:
True. But I'd say there were as many Eagles supporters at the ground as we had. High percentage of neutrals from what the TV coverage looked like, and especially the noise coming through the idiot box anyway.

A better percentage of North supporters there today and some who might be in the process of conversion - the new Sports minister took out his membership today and he's a lifelong fan of the Dorks.

The invisible mullet said:
A better percentage of North supporters there today and some who might be in the process of conversion - the new Sports minister took out his membership today and he's a lifelong fan of the Dorks.

Good to hear - must admit I didn't get that impression from the TV coverage.

And I don't normally like politicians or celebrites using sporting teams for publicity shots - but if he's dipped into his pocket (or of the local govt) I can make an exception:thumbsu:

Lidge said:
Good to hear - must admit I didn't get that impression from the TV coverage.

And I don't normally like politicians or celebrites using sporting teams for publicity shots - but if he's dipped into his pocket (or of the local govt) I can make an exception:thumbsu:

All the politicians are trying to get on the bandwagon at the moment - its a pity that they've been as complacent as they have been up 'til now. They put an investment into the game but don't promote it enough to be the success it could be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am so glad that the ACT look like they will come to the party. The Gold Coast is a sporting club graveyard. We could build a long term relationship with the ACT and this is a time when the club needs stability as much as it does $$$.

I wonder how much more they are offering. I would love it if they decided that hey were finally going to upgrade the ground, but I guess we have to start to sell out the ground first.

I doubt you will get more than 9,500 at Carrara, even with Southports 50,000 club members. Where were they for the Crows/Dees game?

Show us capital, say Roos
24 April 2006 Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

WITH 1250 members already signed, the Kangaroos are confident of achieving their budgeted figures for 2006 playing out of Canberra.
West Coast stats
Kangaroos stats
Round 4 scoreboard
Round-by-round votes
Round 4 photos

But a future deal to play at least three games in the national capital is another matter.

Talks between Roos officials and government representatives were very positive yesterday, but chief executive Geoff Walsh hinted that competition for attracting AFL teams had never been higher, so the ante had been raised accordingly.

"Our current agreement finishes at the end of this year, but it's fair to say other clubs are attracting many more dollars now to play their games interstate," Walsh said.

"We're very encouraged by our talks today, but we're also talking to Southport, and we have a lot of issues to weigh up.

"Our next board meeting is on Thursday where the matter will be discussed, but I can't see a decision being made for another six to eight weeks."

Walsh also would not reveal how much money the Roos make out of Canberra games.

He said the issue was clouded by extraneous figures for memberships, merchandising and ground catering at Manuka Oval.

"We certainly make more playing here than we would in Melbourne," Walsh said.

But any future agreement would have to be around $400,000-$450,000 a game to gain the Roos' commitment.

No wonder people in Canberra don't turn up to our games when we treat them with such disrespect. We can't keep going into new areas only, half heartedly trying to attract new fans to decide a few years later oh we'll get more money elsewhere.

If I was a neutral Canberran I'd have little affection for us either right now.

Roobunny said:

Exactly.

"Come to our games, support us, love us, buy memberships. Oh, by the way, we might be somewhere else come 2007. Sorry".

Duffman, I have a pen and I can be there in 15 minutes.

Roobunny said:
No wonder people in Canberra don't turn up to our games when we treat them with such disrespect. We can't keep going into new areas only, half heartedly trying to attract new fans to decide a few years later oh we'll get more money elsewhere.

That's my issue with the choice in front of us. Choose Canberra again, for more money, and we are finally putting down some roots and making a real push to gain loyalty in exchange for our genuine commitment.

Choose Carrara, get the cash, but where are we when the contract ends? If it doesn't work, do we drift on up there in hostile RL/Lions country, or look for yet another place to try? And if it does work well, we are asking for a push towards relocation or merger with Southport. If it works brilliantly, we might even get a shove to let Southport get their own license, leaving us right out in the cold and back to the perennial search for a home.

Agree with Briedis and threads to the end of this so far, please name me a successful national side from the GC? Correct NONE as for the recent game put your best foot forward and less than 10k turned up. Keep canberra going and as a lesser of to evils if we were to relocate ACT or QLD????

Roobunny said:

This is what worries me, our credibility. We tried to make Sydney our second home ... didn't work ... so took on Canberra ... working better than Sydney ... but GC offer more money ... so we'll look at going there.

We can't keep fleeting around the place asking people to buy a membership and then saying see you later.

We have made inroads in Canberra ... just by the number of people wearing North t-shirts and caps ... you wouldn't have seen that a few years ago.

I would have wanted more to turn up on Sunday, but with ANZAC day on Tues a lot of people would have taken the Mon off and gone away. We tend to get our matches scheduled at bad times - ie when the Brumbies / Raiders are playing at the same time, or Canberra show day, or long w/ends. So all in all I think we do pretty well crowd wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Canberra offer more money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back