Captaincy, Leadership & Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I thought they looked like spoiled kids who were in trouble. Gibbs was the kid who tries to smooth talk his way out of it, and Murphy was the kid who just sulks because he'd been scolded.

Is the fact that these two were somewhat "football royalty" before they were drafted a reason for their lack of intensity on field? They come from big-name football families and were media darlings even before being drafted. Sometimes I think they feel they're entitled to be AFL footballers, and people expecting more of them or questioning their efforts just annoys them.

Interesting take on it. I like that we can respectively share opinions on this.

Must say, Gibbs impressed me. Murph not so much, but his leadership has been discussed to death. I know he isn't vocal and I've accepted that.

Really? I thought they looked like spoiled kids who were in trouble. Gibbs was the kid who tries to smooth talk his way out of it, and Murphy was the kid who just sulks because he'd been scolded.

Is the fact that these two were somewhat "football royalty" before they were drafted a reason for their lack of intensity on field? They come from big-name football families and were media darlings even before being drafted. Sometimes I think they feel they're entitled to be AFL footballers, and people expecting more of them or questioning their efforts just annoys them.

I actually agreed with Robbo on 360 about it. Yer, great they came out and fronted the media when they really didn't have to, but what about actions? One kick between the pair of them half way through the last, is unacceptable and not the actions of "leaders"

I don't want them to come out a day later with some pathetic gibberish, I want them to front the media straight after the loss and explain why the team did not perform in the last quarter. I don't really care who it is from the team.

Interesting observation

Neither of these two will win a premiership unless they go to another club

What are people's thoughts on Gibbs and Murphy both fronting up yesterday?

Whilst they both said the same thing, which I admit was cliche, I liked that Gibbs was firm in the way he spoke. He didn't let the media pigeon hole him. Also liked the way he stood up for Murph when Murph didn't really know what to say about the whole trade talk.

Actions speak louder than words, but they genuinely looked hurt and a bit pissed off. Here's hoping they can lead us to victory this week.

:)

Compare what Murphy & Gibbs said with what Troy Chaplin from Richmond was reported in the AGE on Monday to have said :

A seething Troy Chaplin has made an impassioned plea for his Richmond teammates to "grow up and act like men" as the Tigers seek to overcome their poor start to the season.

“It’s easy to run around on the track and kick the footy with your teammates without any pressure, so we’ve got to obviously train under pressure a bit more and hopefully that’s where it starts.

“I think they scored 90 points out of our 110 off turnovers, and that’s where the game’s won or lost right there.”

Chaplin said that the mistakes were a combination of both mental and technical failings. “There’s certainly a technical element as well … it’s a combination of both. Those are the things that are costing us games.”

“Some of those turnovers are undefendable as a defender, they just go straight back over your head."

Quite a stark difference between the two interviews, our guys gave all the standard clichés, Chaplin told some honest truths.

Compare what Murphy & Gibbs said with what Troy Chaplin from Richmond was reported in the AGE on Monday to have said :

Quite a stark difference between the two interviews, our guys gave all the standard clichés, Chaplin told some honest truths.

Chaplin is one of those blokes who puts in the least amount of effort in a group and complains the most.

Personally I thought Murphy looked fatigued and possibly ill. No real swagger about him nowadays regardless. I think it's about time we take the captaincy off him for his own sake since his confidence in his own ability and body is completely shot right now. Same thing happened to Trengove and Grimes at Melbourne.

I didn't mind Gibbs interview. He called out the reporters lie and basically stood up for one of his mates.

Horrible example. Chaplin is one of the worst, posibly the worst, at talking tough and doing nothing to back it up on the field.

This is just a great post. I always said Murphy hadn't worked anywhere near hard enough to earn the captaincy. The bloke has been pretty much gifted everything in his football life. Gibbs was always very raw for a number #1 pick and perhaps should've spent another season in the twos before he started senior football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just a great post. I always said Murphy hadn't worked anywhere near hard enough to earn the captaincy. The bloke has been pretty much gifted everything in his football life. Gibbs was always very raw for a number #1 pick and perhaps should've spent another season in the twos before he started senior football.
Gibbs was not very raw. This was a kid playing agasint adults as a 16yo in the SANFL seniors racking up possesions and in some cases kicking 5 goals a game.

MM's selection was premature and probably stopped from becoming a genuine 'A' Grader. Give him that extra two years then offer him the role would have been perfect. He didn't need all of the pressure and attention on him and they should have let him develop. Simpson or Jamieson should have gotten the roles (Captain & Vice Captain) As for Gibbs he is a front runner. When the team is playing well and the confidence is there he bobs up with his possessions. When things are hard he blends into the crowd and just don't see him. Team mates notice these things. One courageous act, chase, tackle, smother can show your team mates how it is done and lifts them to imitate your actions. When I was a young lad I used to watch Bob Skilton week in and week out get his head smashed in playing for a shi*t team in South Melbourne. He won three Brownlows and 9 B&F and carried that club for 15 years. He played on two and three opponents at times and still overcame the scragging and dirty tactics. He played finals once in 15 years. Yes footballer is quicker and physically harder today, but the basic concepts of leadership have not changed.

Horrible example. Chaplin is one of the worst, posibly the worst, at talking tough and doing nothing to back it up on the field.

I'm not comparing onfield output, I'm comparing forthright comments.

At least Chaplin actually says something that surprises you, our guys tell you nothing and tick off clichés from their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Captaincy, Leadership & Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back